PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andy Reid: Randy was always going to go back to the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Andy Reid:Randy was always going to go back to the Patriots

What the F are you talking about? What a jack@$$ comment.
Here's what I'm talking about- Moss is a cancer anywhere else he plays. The ONLY place he will be successful, IMO, is with NE because of BB and Tom Brady. It was actually a compliment to those two people. Bill for creating a culture in which Randy knows that if he screws up he, and his chance of ever playing for a winning team with a chance at the SB, were done. Tom for being Tom, one of the few QBs Moss seems to respect (Favre was one too but he wouldn't have been as successful in GB, imo). But, I have to tell you, I really respect a poster that is able to so eloquently counter my opinion as you did. You must be pretty proud of yourself.

pao

Yes, it's the only place that would take him-- that's why the Eagles offered more money than the Patriots did and were heavily interested in him. He's also never had any success outside of New England, either.

Brilliant insight, chief.
You guys crack me up. How many of you were supporting Randy before he signed with NE, hmm? Dude was a CANCER on other teams. He wasn't in NE. I don't believe the Eagles really wanted him, at least not for the price he would have demanded to walk away from the Patriots... a great decision for Randy imo. The guy needs the Patriot culture and Tom Brady (who he respects) to succeed. Otherwise he would revert to Randy the Cancer, imo.

pao

That depends on how you define success. How many Super Bowls did Moss play in outside of NE again?

He certainly got a lot of money from Oakland and Minn - and did have that great rookie season for the Vikes - but I'm not sure you're going to have a lot of people arguing that he had success in Oakland or in too many other Viking seasons.

There's just a tiny bit of spin on Reid's part here. The Eagles definitely wanted him. Other reports indicate that Moss was VERY close to signing with them. And did the other 30 teams in the NFL truly have no interest after his agent made it clear they were interested in hearing other offers? And if so not why?

Does Reid possibly have an interest in convincing his team's fans that, contrary to other reports, Moss would accept no other offers and sign with no one other than the Patriots?

All one can say about this report is that Reid felt a need to cover his a$s and spin the story that the Eagles never had a shot at Moss.
Great post! Also Moss is NOT stupid. He's an ASS (temporarily better while with the Patriots under BB and TB, imo) but dude is, as TB says, very smart. The ONLY way he leaves NE is if someone offered him a boatload of money (and even then maybe not). He knows that his best chance of winning a SB AND continuing his change of attitude was to STAY in NE. There is no other team in the NFL that will get as much out of Randy as NE will.

pao

pao

He also caught the most TD passes on the highest scoring offense in history prior to this season. Can that not be considered a success?
Apparently Minnesota didn't, seeing as they let him go without much of a fight iirc. And not with the problems that came with it. Dude was a cancer on that team, something the Patriots wouldn't and won't allow him to do. Sorry, there's more to it than stats.

pao

He's been unfairly labeled as a guy who couldn't succeed anywhere but New England because he didn't succeed in the worst situation in the NFL for the worst organization in the NFL.
Unfairly labeled?? You have got to be kidding me. He earned his rep and it started BEFORE Oakland.

pao

Randy Moss almost single handly took the Vikings to the Superbowl. This isn't an understatement. The guy made several below average QB's pro-bowl superstars. And like it or not, he took Tom Brady from a great QB to consideration as one of the all time best.

I know this might upset the fanboys on this board, but to outsiders Tom was considered a great "system" QB that relied on the dink-and-dunk. He couldn't throw the long ball, and couldn't throw under pressure. That changed with Moss. The guy was able to throw the long ball into double/triple coverage because he knew Moss would usually come down with it. I can't tell you how many "bad" passes that I saw Brady throw into coverage only to have Moss make a spectacular catch.

That's what Moss brings. Brady more than anyone knows this. The fact is, Moss wasn't getting anywhere close to "fair market value" from the Pats. They were low balling him, and he opened himself up to other teams to get a fair deal. He STILL gave the Pats a hometown discount, and yet you still b*tch.

:shrug
Hmm, I'll have to come back later to look at the rest of these posts. This is a pretty good discussion.

pao

Apparently Minnesota didn't, seeing as they let him go without much of a fight iirc. And not with the problems that came with it. Dude was a cancer on that team, something the Patriots wouldn't and won't allow him to do. Sorry, there's more to it than stats.

pao

Minnesota traded him. I'm not sure why they would fight it when they traded him.

Wow.... you've been a Patriots fan for about 6 years, then?

Um, no, more like 30 years.

Are you trying to make a point?

Hey if you want to assert that the Rod Rust and **** McPherson years were "successful" be my guest (assuming you were born then). If you look back there might have been some guys who put up some pretty good numbers.

But I wouldn't characterize those years as success for anyone on the team.

I enjoyed this season greatly, but was it a "success"? Nope - not by my standards.

Success is winning a Super Bowl - not even just playing in it. I'd tend to think that Brady and Belichick feel the same way even if you do not.

This notion offends you why?

pao

Piece of advice, dont comment on things you know nothing about...namely how Moss left Minnesota. He was traded by an owner who was selling the team, and to this day, Vikings fans arent over it and consider it one of the biggest mistakes in the teams history. Moss is still an icon there, and there is a huge contingent of Viking fans who're incredibaly loyal to him. Not surprising considering he was there for 7 Years, with 6 of them being Probowl seasons..and would've been 7/7 if not for injuries. You can paint his 2 years as a Raider as bad, but he was LOVED by his teammates in Minny and was hardly a cancer.

I have friends in Minny and can attest that Randy is loved by many there. They would suggest you ask the children at St Joseph's Children's Home what they think of Randy.

Hey if you want to assert that the Rod Rust and **** McPherson years were "successful" be my guest (assuming you were born then). If you look back there might have been some guys who put up some pretty good numbers.

I enjoyed this season greatly, but was it a "success"? Nope - not by my standards.

Success is winning a Super Bowl - not even just playing in it. I'd tend to think that Brady and Belichick feel the same way even if you do not.

Because it's an incredibly silly notion. The notion that there is only one 'successful' season each year in the NFL, or MLB, NFL, NBA, etc... is ridiculous. Frankly, given that you claim to have been here through the Rust/McPherson eras, you should know full well that success doesn't require a Lombardi trophy.

Last edited:

Because it's an incredibly silly notion. The notion that there is only one 'successful' season each year in the NFL, or MLB, NFL, NBA, etc... is ridiculous. Frankly, given that you claim to have been here through the Rust/McPherson eras, you should know full well that success doesn't require a Lombardi trophy.

WTF is it with this board and the self-righteous members who are the arbiters of what a "success" is and isn't?

If you want to view the last few seasons as a "success" be my guest. As I said, everyone has different views of what "success" is.

I don't take offense at your opinion. But WTF is wrong with you that you have a problem with people who view "success" differently than you?

I make no apologies for the fact that I view a successful season as one in which the Patriots win a Super Bowl. Deal with it.

pao

Why do you sign your name "pao" at the bottom of your posts? It's redundant and weird.

If he's the only person around here who considers a successful season to be winning a Super Bowl then I suppose so.

There used to be a lot of Patsfans who felt the same way.

Seems like I'm old school in still thinking that way too. That's a bit sad if folks on this board have shifted to become Colts fans who value setting records over winning Super Bowls.

But yes, "success" to me is winning Super Bowls. That's not "wrong". You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

You're very confused. That poster was the one who implied Moss and the patriots=success. You quoted me and you're arguing with the poster you say you're supporting.

If you find a post of mine saying the 2007-8 season was a success, i'd be very surprised.

Last edited:

Never doubted it. It's the ONLY place that he would be successful. Probably the only place that would take him too.

pao

The only team that's professional from the parking lot sweepers up to Kraft himself ... that's why he likes it here.

Moss wanted to play with an elite quarterback, in the end he knew that playing with Brady is worth more than the extra 2-3 mill per year he might have gotten elsewhere.

You're very confused. That poster was the one who implied Moss and the patriots=success. You quoted me and you're arguing with the poster you say you're supporting.

If you find a post of mine saying the 2007-8 season was a success, i'd be very surprised.

It wasn't the poster's suggestion that Moss was a success last year that had people ripping into him - it was the fact that he questioned whether Moss's tenure with Oakland and Minnesota could be deemed "succesful" and everyone apparently was aghast at that.

I quoted your accusation of me "casting my lot" with the poster, whatever that means. Chill.

Last edited:
What I predicted all along -- he'd go out, get his best offer, and then see whether it was a big enough premium to get him to move (which it probably wouldn't be).

As a young stock analyst, I was once encouraged by my boss to look for other offers, so he'd know what price he had to match. That makes sense in a free-agent style industry.

Individual success and team go hand in hand a lot of the time, but they arent the same thing. The poster you're defending or agreeing with was talking about Moss(an individual) only being successful in NE and not being successful in Minnesota. He didnt say Moss' teams werent successful in Minny, he said Moss wasnt. When Moss was basically a staple Probowl selection during his 7 years with the Vikings, its ludicrous to say he wasnt successful there.

It wasn't the poster's suggestion that Moss was a success last year that had people ripping into him - it was the fact that he questioned whether Moss's tenure with Oakland and Minnesota could be deemed "succesful" and everyone apparently was aghast at that.

I quoted your accusation of me "casting my lot" with the poster, whatever that means. Chill.

And why not?? Moss is first 6 years in Minnesota were the best EVER from a WR...he was better than Jerry Rice 6 years in. He was historically great, and you're wondering why people think saying he wasnt a success in Minnesota is stupid??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back