PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrews pleads no contest to marijuana charges, must enter NFL program

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

Patriots defensive back Andrews pleads to drug offense
May 9, 2008

LOWELL, Mass. (AP) -- New England Patriots defensive back Willie Andrews entered a plea to a marijuana possession charge, but won't face any prison time.

The 24-year-old Andrews admitted in court Friday there was enough evidence to convict him at trial, but did not plead guilty.

Lowell District Court Judge Neil Walker continued the case without a finding for a year. During that time, Andrews must speak to student athletes about the dangers of narcotics, pay a $1,000 fine and complete an NFL substance abuse program.

Andrews was arrested in February after police pulled him over in Lowell. Prosecutors said he had $6,800 in cash on him, a half pound of marijuana and no means to smoke the marijuana.

Andrews' attorney, Sean Delaney, declined comment on the plea.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James had no comment.

I suppose that's a plea of no contest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Half a pound!? He got off very lucky.

Marijuana, big deal.

Slater was probably going to take his place anyways... now it just makes it easier for him

Slater may make the team, he is on the bubble but I doubt he takes Andrews spot. Andrews was a key on special teams coverage, a backup at FS and even took a few snaps at CB, pretty versatile and a good player to have on the roster (and a great guy to party with!).

HALF pound of marijuana?? Good lord, was he planning to smoke that all by himself? Maybe he has some friends who smoke too... but they better not be on the Pats! Sheesh, you're a pro now get a grip man!

Looks like Walsh wasn't the only guy to get hooked up with a top flight attorney.

Likely this indicates the Pats both value Andrews and think he can learn from his mistakes. Otherwise he'd have been long gone by now.

Last edited:
MLR - agreed totally - so he likes some weed, big deal. Lets get him in there for the Super Bowl run!

Slater may make the team, he is on the bubble but I doubt he takes Andrews spot. Andrews was a key on special teams coverage, a backup at FS and even took a few snaps at CB, pretty versatile and a good player to have on the roster (and a great guy to party with!).

Sounds like you just described Matt Slater.

His case was continued without a finding (cwof). He admitted that if he took his case to trial that there are enough facts for a jury or a judge to find him guilty. However, he did not plead guilty. If he completes the terms of his probation successfully, then his case will be dismissed at the end of probation. If he violates the terms of his probation, then he potentially faces up to 30 months in the Middlesex County House of Correction and/or a fine. For this particular offense (possession of marijuana with intent to distribute), a cwof is pretty standard for someone without a record...

FWIW, there's no plead of "no contest" in Massachusetts...

Last edited:
Sounds like you just described Matt Slater.

I guess the difference is that Andrews has done it at a pro-level while Slater could not play a regular position even in college. In the end who cares, they are both only minor pieces in the puzzle.

Interesting that there had been threads on this, this past week... ALl of it makes sense..he is lucky and I agree, he'll be fighting with Slater and others for ST duty. I do think it's not a minor part though as ST is a third of the game and KO/punt returns, D on those is very critical. he also is more of a CB..moved to S in college the last year. Always liked him, still do..and I think if the Pats did not, he would have been long gone.

This sounds ljust like Matt Slater, doesn't it? If you add WR to the mix and delete the partying with marijuana.

Andrews' speech to teen athletes regarding the dangers of drugs reportedly will focus on the fact that if you get caught, you will probably have to pay $1000 and be forced to speak to teen athletes about the dangers of drugs.

My first response is who?

Seriously he might be good, or Rookie camp fodder, I don't know.
Who?? Is that in reference to Andrews or Slater?? If it's Andrews, my guess is you missed a lot the last two years...if it's Slater, then maybe it's only been a few weeks.

WA will still be with the team - this is nothing, I bet half the players toke.

I'm surprised they haven't cut him by now. He does no good fot "the brand".

Willie Andrew Plead guilty

Hey, a thread not about *-gate.

Patriots' Andrews enters drug plea

New England Patriots defensive back Willie Andrews will not face jail time after entering a plea to a marijuana possession charge on Friday.

Andrews, 24, was ordered by Lowell District Court Judge Neil Walker to pay a USD1,000 fine, complete an NFL substance abuse program and perform community service.

Walker ordered the case continued without a finding for a year, meaning that Andrews must complete the terms during that time.

The ruling came three months after Andrews was arrested in Lowell, where he allegedly was found with a half-pound of marijuana and USD6,800 in cash during a traffic stop.

It was not the first run-in with the law for Andrews, who served a 30-day jail term in 2002 after being charged with unlawful weapon possession.

Primarily a special-teams player, Andrews recorded seven tackles last season for the AFC champion Patriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots