PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andrews may possess special qualities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060515/NEWS/605150586/1009/SPORTS

Despite being the 229th overall pick in the draft, he’s got a legitimate chance to claim a permanent spot with the Patriots because he’s auditioning for a job that is very much open.

Much has been made of the Patriots needing help at numerous positions, especially wide receiver, linebacker and defensive back. However, they are also in the market for players who can capably return kicks and field punts.
-----
“You can’t get up the field unless you have the ball,†said Andrews, a Texan who was an all-state selection in high school. “I’m showing them I’m going to get to the ball, I’m going to catch it. That’s my first priority and then I’ll go from there.â€
-----
“When Belichick first called when he was drafting me, he told me, ‘Make the team on special teams then work your way to the defense,’†Andrews recalled.

Then Andrews, too new still to realize the CIA level of secrecy that engulfs the Patriots organization, revealed the type of information that might topple Western Civilization.

“Everybody that’s running around (this weekend) is going to look to play special teams, even (No. 1 pick Laurence Maroney),†Andrews said. “He’s going to be on special teams so I know I have to be on special teams.â€

So it would seem Maroney will get a shot at returning kicks and Andrews, with many others, will see some punted balls. He has a professional attitude, soon we’ll see if he has professional talent.

Our first round pick returning kicks? Ughhhhhhhh....:eek:

huskeralk said:
Lots of our best players are on ST, no big deal. In 2001 our #1 WR was our PR. Field position, baby, field position.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Andrews makes the team as a CB/KR.

Richter said:
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Andrews makes the team as a CB/KR.

That's farther than i'm willing to go.
But i'll crawl out on a shorter, thicker limb to shout,
"Andrews will not be among the earlier cuts."

You prob'ly noticed that Andrews was the only DB this weekend who could stay with Jackson.

LOL that limb's so short you just may stub your toe on it. :p

Pats NEED a new PR. If this guy can do it that will be a positive thing, and will help upgrade that unit. If Andrews can work his tail off and show that he can handle those duties. Great.

After seeing Faulk fumble the balls X times in the last playoff game I don't want to see him on ST returning the ball in any fashion. He just coughs it up too easily.

Andrews better be tough too. Turning over the ball on ST is a definite NO-NO.

Last edited:
Andrews may possess special qualities

I hear he has Adamantium claws and heat vision.

VJCPatriot said:
LOL that limb's so short you just may stub your toe on it. :p

Pats NEED a new PR. If this guy can do it that will be a positive thing, and will help upgrade that unit. If Andrews can work his tail off and show that he can handle those duties. Great.

After seeing Faulk fumble the balls X times in the last playoff game I don't want to see him on ST returning the ball in any fashion. He just coughs it up too easily.

Andrews better be tough too. Turning over the ball on ST is a definite NO-NO.

I think Faulk fumbled one time in the last playoff game and so did Troy Brown. ... oh yeah... and Brady sucked crap in that game... one of the worst he's played. Too much is made over faulk fumbling... he doesn't do it that often anymore... he didn't lose that game for us.

Also said he can't wait to put on pads so he will get a chance to "stick" Maroney. Talking about playing SS at Baylor.

These are the kind of guys signing Ty Law will cause us to lose.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
Too much is made over faulk fumbling... he doesn't do it that often anymore... he didn't lose that game for us.
Dependson whether you are talking about Marshall or Kevin.

The team with the best return guy gets alot of run on ESPN and the rest. I think it's way cool to be the guy and/or the team that has "The Guy"...the next Dante Hall. It makes the game way more exciting IMO.

I was never too geeked up when we received kickoffs...I haven't been since Troy had the job...I'll root for Andrews or whomever because it's fun if it's our turn to get the next "The Guy".

huskeralk said:

Steve Smith returns kicks for the Panthers.

zippo59 said:
Steve Smith returns kicks for the Panthers.

Screw Steve Smith. Carry on. :D I was actually talking more about that being his only role with the team his rookie year. If that's the case, I repeat. Ughhhhhhhhhh....

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I was actually talking more about that being his only role with the team his rookie year. If that's the case, I repeat. Ughhhhhhhhhh....
Why would you conclude that would be the case ?

Lloyd_Christmas said:
I think Faulk fumbled one time in the last playoff game and so did Troy Brown. ... oh yeah... and Brady sucked crap in that game... one of the worst he's played. Too much is made over faulk fumbling... he doesn't do it that often anymore... he didn't lose that game for us.

COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
Check out Faulk's fumble % last year, it was atrocious. Sure, he'll be back and get the ball but his carries will be more limited.

Given the title of this thread, I expected to read that Andrews had ESP or could fly.

dryheat44 said:
Given the title of this thread, I expected to read that Andrews had ESP or could fly.
...or his girlfriend was showing up to brag!

BelichickFan said:
Why would you conclude that would be the case ?

I don't conclude, I jump to conclusions. That's what I do. :D

If I remember correctly the Pats were driving the football and had some serious momentum. Then Faulk fumbles and the game becomes a horror show, not to mention some really bad officiating as well.

Does anyone think Bethel can return punts for the Pats next season, if he works his way out of the BB doghouse???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes