PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Tippett-HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AzPatsFan said:
I'm sorry the young guys at PFW most of whom never saw him play and weren't Pats fans in their youth, should have no qualified opinion.

I tend to agree. Perspectives are different when the Patriots are your job and not your passion. On the same note, I'm a bit of homer when it comes to the Pats. If I were to make a case for New England players making the hall, number 1 would be Gino, number 2 would be Stanley, and number 3 would be Tippett (just my 3 cents)

363839 said:
I am surprised that there has been no thread started for support of Andre to enter the HOF.
The guy was second to only Lawrence Taylor and I'm here watching Harry Carson do his acceptance speech on NFL network.
Harry was better than Andre???
No argument from me about Lawrence over Andre but Harry Carson.
Was Carson that good.

We discussed that a few times here...always the conclusion was a draw.
Tippet played on alot of bad teams for sure. But most of all, the Patriots never had the dominating line that we have now. We were always LB strong...very strong. Except for the marginal Ken Simms...we never even had 1st round talent there.

If Tippet could add the fact that he played behind very average lines I say for sure he would be there. He was as quick and intelligent as most of the guys in the HOF.

LT had nothing on Tippet either IMO. LT had the luxury of rushing the passer alot. Tippet...due to his intelligence and versatility dropped back into coverage alot.

How about if Tippet could have played a bunch of years with Bruschi...that would have been fun to watch. Nelly was a great ILB but he was not the athlete Bruschi is. Tippet and Bruschi would have redefined LB as an art form for sure...a black belt in karate and the high flying Bruschi...WOW...give anything to see that.

Murphys95 said:
I tend to agree. Perspectives are different when the Patriots are your job and not your passion. On the same note, I'm a bit of homer when it comes to the Pats. If I were to make a case for New England players making the hall, number 1 would be Gino, number 2 would be Stanley, and number 3 would be Tippett (just my 3 cents)

Tippett belongs in there, plain and simple. He played on some awful teams, and the other teams keyed on him EVERY game (his whole career) !! There is no reason for him not being there. He's probably the ONLY retired player in the top 20 sack list not in the Hall. He is possibly the greatest Pats defender ever. Call me a homer, but this is ridiculous.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
I believe that was vs. Green Bay in the '89 preseason. Yes, Tippett was one of those, but I think he came back very late in the year.
I think it was '88... I decided last minute to go to that game from where I lived in Maynard just 1 year... that would have been 1988. Don't remember who was injured though, just that we had a lot and it pretty much set the tone for the few seasons.

godef said:
I think it was '88... I decided last minute to go to that game from where I lived in Maynard just 1 year... that would have been 1988. Don't remember who was injured though, just that we had a lot and it pretty much set the tone for the few seasons.

Nope, it was definitely 1989. It was the same game we lost Veris and Lippette.

We went 9-7 in 1988. The game that started our decline to laughing stock status was the green bay preseason game in 1989. We ended up 5-11 that year.

If Andre Tippett played on teams with more success, then, yes, he would and should be in the Hall of Fame. Harry Carson, for his part, was a nine-time ProBowl player on a team that did win a Superbowl. That seems to be enough to get a guy into Canton these days.

I won't even justify the anti-Namath comments. Statistics aside, Superbowl III had more to do with the AFL-NFL merger - and the NFL we know today - than any other single factor. Some inductees ought not be graded on statistics alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back