PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Tippett-HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am surprised that there has been no thread started for support of Andre to enter the HOF.
The guy was second to only Lawrence Taylor and I'm here watching Harry Carson do his acceptance speech on NFL network.
Harry was better than Andre???
No argument from me about Lawrence over Andre but Harry Carson.
Was Carson that good.

The PFW guys already talked about this. He definitely was a great player and a Pat legend, but he doesn't belong in the Hall, which is for the elite of the elite.

drew4008 said:
The PFW guys already talked about this. He definitely was a great player and a Pat legend, but he doesn't belong in the Hall, which is for the elite of the elite.

And Harry Carson does?

Tippett does not belong in the HOF. Tippett thrived early in his career when the standard M.O. of picking up blitzing OLBs was to use a RB. After the '85 Bears made blitzing all the rage, teams started maturing their pass-blocking schemes. Gone were the days of RBs left alone to pick up an OLB and in came the days of tackles sliding outside. Once that started happening, Tippett pretty much became just another good OLB. Taylor, meanwhile, continued to dominate even when taking on a tackle.

On a related note, an offense like the '04 Pats would have eaten Buddy Ryan's 46 D alive, even those '85 Bears. Those Bears CBs were average at best.

I'm sorry the young guys at PFW most of whom never saw him play and weren't Pats fans in their youth, should have no qualified opinion.

Andre made many Probowls, and his 100 sacks is in the top handful for LBs. He suffered because LT played in NYC, the media capital, and was a pure
Sh!t, so his notoriety got him in to the media too. As the Hollywierdos say "I don't care what you write just spell my name right".

As far as NYC is concerned, study the record of a NY QB whose completion rate was 50.2% and threw more INTs than TDs over his career. His total passing yardage is not in the top 30, yet he sits in the HOF.

Why? Because he played in NYC and made a loudmouth boast once. That off the field comment makes him a HOF QB?

Get Real.

Andre Tippet belongs in the Hall of Fame!

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
Tippett does not belong in the HOF. Tippett thrived early in his career when the standard M.O. of picking up blitzing OLBs was to use a RB. After the '85 Bears made blitzing all the rage, teams started maturing their pass-blocking schemes. Gone were the days of RBs left alone to pick up an OLB and in came the days of tackles sliding outside. Once that started happening, Tippett pretty much became just another good OLB. Taylor, meanwhile, continued to dominate even when taking on a tackle.

On a related note, an offense like the '04 Pats would have eaten Buddy Ryan's 46 D alive, even those '85 Bears. Those Bears CBs were average at best.

My argument is not against LT.
How did Harry Carson fair under that same scenario?
I don't know about Andre not being able to handle a pulling? tackle.
Andre only played a total of 7 or 8 years. I think he may have had a career ending injury.

AzPatsFan said:
Why? Because he played in NYC and made a loudmouth boast once. That off the field comment makes him a HOF QB?

He saved the AFL teams by showing they were on par with the NFL and is one of the big reasons you're sitting here discussing the New England Patriots today (along with owners like Ralph Wilson). I think that gives Broadway Joe the benefit of the doubt. The historical significance of that "loudmouth boast" cannot be downplayed in leading up to today's NFL.

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
I'm sorry the young guys at PFW most of whom never saw him play and weren't Pats fans in their youth, should have no qualified opinion.

Andre made many Probowls, and his 100 sacks is in the top handful for LBs. He suffered because LT played in NYC, the media capital, and was a pure
Sh!t, so his notoriety got him in to the media too. As the Hollywierdos say "I don't care what you write just spell my name right".

As far as NYC is concerned, study the record of a NY QB whose completion rate was 50.2% and threw more INTs than TDs over his career. His total passing yardage is not in the top 30, yet he sits in the HOF.

Get Real.

Thank you, AZ. We are in 100% agreement. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
AzPatsFan said:

Get Real.

I liked your Joe Namath reference though.
Though, I agree with his HOF inclusion.

363839 said:
My argument is not against LT.
How did Harry Carson fair under that same scenario?
I don't know about Andre not being able to handle a pulling? tackle.
Andre only played a total of 7 or 8 years. I think he may have had a career ending injury.
I used LT because LT is in the HOF and both played OLB in the exact same era. Carson was an ILB so it's tough to compare him to Tippett. It should be noted that those Giants run defenses with Carson manning the middle were awesome. BTW, Tippett played 11 years. I distinctly remember him having trouble against tackles...I used to b1tch about it in the late '80s.

Trying not to be a 'homer' here, but objectively speaking Tip does deserve to be in the HOF.

In his prime, he was second only to LT. The only thing that would keep him out is that his last 3 years were injury years.

By the way. Does anyone remember that disaster of a preseason game againts the Eagles, I believe, when we lost 3 or 4 defensive starters for the year? Was Tip one of those?

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
By the way. Does anyone remember that disaster of a preseason game againts the Eagles, I believe, when we lost 3 or 4 defensive starters for the year? Was Tip one of those?
I believe that was vs. Green Bay in the '89 preseason. Yes, Tippett was one of those, but I think he came back very late in the year.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
I used LT because LT is in the HOF and both played OLB in the exact same era. Carson was an ILB so it's tough to compare him to Tippett. It should be noted that those Giants run defenses with Carson manning the middle were awesome. BTW, Tippett played 11 years. I distinctly remember him having trouble against tackles...I used to b1tch about it in the late '80s.

You're right is was 11 years. (I don't know what I was looking at.)
http://originwww.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?ac=HallofFameplayer&bio=2174

You may be right about the NFL philosophy change may have made him a little less effective. Still, he has many on-field accomplisments and supporting stats, a few pro bowl appearances.
Those guys shouldn't be so quickly dismissive.

In that Green bay game we lost Tippet Garin Veris, and Ronnie Lipett I believe.

primetime said:
He saved the AFL teams by showing they were on par with the NFL and is one of the big reasons you're sitting here discussing the New England Patriots today (along with owners like Ralph Wilson). I think that gives Broadway Joe the benefit of the doubt. The historical significance of that "loudmouth boast" cannot be downplayed in leading up to today's NFL.

Baaah! Pure baloney!! Big Apple BS! The merger happened three years before in 1995-6. The monies being paid for raw rookies, got the owners to agree a long time before. If the Jets had not won that year, the Chiefs would have destroyed the Vikes the following year which, they did; and the Raiders would have done so as well, as they had done the next year afterwards too.

( NYC publicity driven just like overated LT)

Namath un HOF stats:
3762 ATT 1886 Comp 50.1% 27,663 yds 173 TDs 4.59% 220 INTs 5.84%

Heres another player's stats:
3593 ATT 1879 Comp 52.3% 26,886 yds 182 TDs 5.05% 208 INTs 5.77%

This guy EXCEEDS every stat except the number of attempts by 160 attempts and completions but by only six or so. He has a better completion percentage. He threw more TDs for a higher percentage of TDs. He threw fewer INTs, for a lower percentage of INTs.

Yet this QB has never been mentioned for a Hall of Fall candidate and never will, nor should he; although he got his team to a SuperBowl once, just like Namath.

Question for the audience... Whose stats are these?

Last edited:
I think Andre belongs.

Carson also belongs. He should have gotten in a long time ago.

Much of LT's success can actually be attributed to Carson. Carson was an All-Pro before LT even got there. The reason LT was able to make so many plays was because he often gambled and "sold-out" anticipating the offensive play. The reason he rarely got burnt is b/c Carson was always there to cover his back. The two of them communicated with one another and Carson always took care of the "little" things.

It's not a popular opinion b/c of the way LT has been hyped up in his career but Andre was every bit as good as him. Andre was actually more rounded. LT was more flashy.

The big question I have is why isn't Stanley Morgan in the the team's ring of honor or hall of fame. Whatever they call it. His yardage totals almost make him HoF worthy and yet he's not even recognized by his own team.

Kraft needs to fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:
AzPatsFan said:
Baaah! Pure baloney!! Big Apple BS! The merger happened three years before in 1995-6. The monies being paid for raw rookies, got the owners to agree a long time before. If the Jets had not won that year, the Chiefs would have destroyed the Vikes the following year which, they did; and the Raiders would have done so as well, as they had done the next year afterwards too.

( NYC publicity driven just like overated LT)

Namath un HOF stats:
3762 ATT 1886 Comp 50.1% 27,663 yds 173 TDs 4.59% 220 INTs 5.84%

Heres another player's stats:
3593 ATT 1879 Comp 52.3% 26,886 yds 182 TDs 5.05% 208 INTs 5.77%

This guy EXCEEDS every stat except the number of attempts by 160 attempts and completions but by only six or so. He has a better completion percentage. He threw more TDs for a higher percentage of TDs. He threw fewer INTs, for a lower percentage of INTs.

Yet this QB has never been mentioned for a Hall of Fall candidate and never will, nor should he; although he got his team to a SuperBowl once, just like Namath.

Question for the audience... Whose stats are these?

I'm gonna take a stab and say... Drew Bledsoe?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/TippAn00.htm
This is interesting. Five straight pro bowls up to 88 as previous posters have indicated he was injured in 89. Never made another pro bowl appearance.
Hmmm.
Still a great run for those 5 years.
I don't know if he was the same after that injury.

Oh! I just heard Leslie Vissar is going to the Hall of Fame, though.

I wonder how she handled the tackles, huh.

primetime said:
Mr. Grogan

Damn Right! And has ANYONE EVER suggested that Grogs should be a candidate for the Hall of Fame? Of course not.

Namath got in with inferior stats because he played in NYC. LT was a free lancing OLB who could cheat because Harry Carson protected him when he screwed up and his gambles backfired.

LT was a drunken, doper, and a mess as a man; hardly a model of a Pro Football Hero for the kids to emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back