PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Carter - One Key To The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For me, the most critical input to draft thinking will be whether we re-sign Andre Carter before the draft (or even another 4-3 DE).

Obviously, the re-signing of Anderson and Warren would also affect the draft.
====================================
The front seven could use some help in any case. The re-signing of Carter, Anderson and Warren would put a different perspective on the draft, compared to say not signing any of them. My guess is that Ellis is not coming back and that White will.

If we re-signed all three, we would have a beginning 15 of

Deaderick, Wilfork, Love, Carter, Warren, Brace, Pryor
Anderson, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Tarpinian, Niko, White

Compared to the current team, Pryor replaces Ellis on the roster and Tarpinian replaces Guyton.

Last edited:
For me, the most critical input to draft thinking will be whether we re-sign Andre Carter before the draft (or even another 4-3 DE).

Obviously, the re-signing of Anderson and Warren would also affect the draft.
====================================
The front seven could use some help in any case. The re-signing of Carter, Anderson and Warren would put a different perspective on the draft, compared to say not signing any of them. My guess is that Ellis is not coming back and that White will.

If we re-signed all three, we would have a beginning 15 of

Deaderick, Wilfork, Love, Carter, Warren, Brace, Pryor
Anderson, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Tarpinian, Niko, White

Compared to the current team, Pryor replaces Ellis on the roster and Tarpinian replaces Guyton.
Whether we sign Carter will be a function of how he heals, and if he still wants to play. If he's healthy and willing, I'm sure his good experience here will make him amenable to a reasonable deal. Warren on the other hand is more of a safety blanket. A guy you can sign in mid training camp if injuries occur Much like we used him this year.

I disagree. Even if we sign Andre Carter, we will still need an OLB/DE for the future and also for insurance in case of injury (which is very likely at his age as we saw this season).

I don't think we can count on these guys for anything;
Pryor, Tarpinian, Koutouvides and White. We need 2-3 young legs. Even if they can't start in 2012. We need to do a better job of developing them. I feel our personnel is better suited for the 3-4. Particularly up the middle at NG and ILB.

If we go back to the 3-4, I think it's more likely Jermaine Cunningham and Markelle Carter make the final 53 as the
4th and 5th olb's behind Ninko, Top Pick and M. Anderson.

If Carter is healthy enough to return, the Pats will probably sign him to a 2 year deal. Because of the injury and his success with the Pats, the price should be reasonable. I don't think it will effect the draft substantially because they still need another solild DE/OLB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Everyone agrees that we need a top OLB/DE. That has been the case for a decade. We posters haven't changed much.

The issue is that what we need in an OLB/DE is somewhat different if we run a base 4-3 with Carter (or high-profile replacement) or run a base 3-4 with Carter.

Belichick does NOT, does NOT, does NOT draft the best OLB/DE available. How a player projects to fit into our system is critical to Belichick.
=============

BOTTOM LINE

It would be a NEW strategy if Belichick chose the best OLB/DE and ignored system fit. I think whether we sign Carter affects our likely base system.

Carter is a beast on the field and 24 karat gold in the locker room. But even if he heels perfectly he's only a stopgap. Same goes for Anderson (to a lesser extent).

We need to have some pass rushing studs in the pipeline for if they get hurt again, and for when their play drops off and/or they retire. I wouldn't let Carter's presense alter my draft strategy one bit.

Last edited:
It is a tough call, my guess is that Carter won't be healthy until after the draft and well into free agency.

It could end up being a high class problem.

Move 1 - resign Anderson
Move 2 - Sign a free agent at 4-3 End \ OLB (Jason Jones, Spencer, Avril, Mathis, Ahmad Brooks, Jarrett Johnson, Mincey... ahem... Mario Williams, Mincey)
Move 3 (check) - Take a DT / 3-4 end in round 1

Move 4 (check mate) - Sign Carter as camp starts, all of a sudden the front seven looks damn good

I consider Carter an ace in the hole, sign him and make the unit among the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back