PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Carter: Nice, poetry-reading guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Jackson takes particular exception to the notion that a bounty system might have led to Peyton Manning’s current injury problems. Speculation has it that the Indianapolis Colts quarterback first started having neck trouble when he was sacked by Phillip Daniels and Andre Carter in a game against the Redskins in 2006.

“Phillip Daniels is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Andre Carter, another one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet,” Jackson said. “They’re not necessarily the most violent guys. And to think that Gregg waved a dollar bill out there and all of a sudden they turned into killers? It wasn’t Antonio Pierce and Sean Taylor. It was probably two of the nicest most poetry-reading guys on the team.”

Cash for big hits under Williams with Redskins - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Somehow, I'd missed the point that Andre Carter is accused in the Peyton-maiming bounty theory.

Yeah, I noticed that he was involved in Peyton's hit. I guess between Carter and Ellis, the Pats got two guys who both had a secondary role in drastically changing the future of a former first overall pick QB.

Really belongs in the merged thread, but since you keep subdividing it...

Greg Blache: I knew about Williams’s bounties, but Gibbs didn’t | ProFootballTalk

The Redskins per se may be off the hook or on the very fringes of it (maybe a team fine and/or minimal draft pick forfeiture) due to plausible deniability because Gibbs wasn't aware so it's doubtful Snyder or his GM were either. Although at some point past videogate, a new procedure was developed to make upper management and ownership and even middle managers (position coaches and coaching assistants) culpable for rules violations they do not report. They have to sign a document at the beginning of every season stating they are aware of no violations of league rules and they are mandated to report any if and as they become aware of them. Which is probably why Payton is still in serious jeoparty league wise and why Benson as well as Loomis should remain so. The owness is on ownership to ask the questions and ascertain that no violations are being committed anually and that league memos on rules are being adhered to. The owness is on everyone in management to report violations they are aware of. And this rule is re-communicated to teams for posting prior to the start of every league year and has been for some time.

Really belongs in the merged thread, but since you keep subdividing it...

I actually really started this thread about the fact that Carter is a nice, poetry-reading guy.

Maybe he and Light can practice against each other, then do a joint reading from Ulysses.

MMQB yesterday. Dungy points out the (Redskins) game and play when Peyton's neck problems started. I don't think he identified Carter as the culprit though.

No, Carter went low - it was Daniels who then went in high and hooked Manning around the neck and pulled him backwards until his helmet flew off and he apparently suffered a stinger that may have been the onset of his disc related pinched nerve issues. The theory being Daniels wasn't content to bring him down, he was looking to injure him or knock him out of the game. Dungy wanted a roughing the passer call, Freeney had just been called for one for grazing the Redskins QB's helmet. He was so intent on that he never even noticed Manning had to call time out because his arm was numb and he told Sorgi to warm up. He went back in and they ran the ball some until the numbness wore off and then he eviscerated them... But Dungy contends that thereafter he had recurring issues with the feeling in the arm and they had to start limiting his throws and managing it. Eventually he had the first disc shaving procedure done in the 2009 off season I think because every season when he ramped it up the intermittent numbness would flare up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes