PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Carter close to signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we really know how serous the injury is?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I never saw details other than it was a ruptured quad injury(?). Shortly after the injury I recall a lot of board discussion about timeframes, etc..but I think these may have been educated guesses.

There are probably degrees of severity and subsequent recovery.

Maybe someone has a link...?

He's hurt. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Carter limping at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

He's hurt. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Carter limping at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

OK, i'm satisfied. I just wanted to make sure it was a rock solid source and not just some speculation taking on a life of its own.

Yup, we might have to cut Markell Carter (already gone) and Cunningham (signed through this year and on the bubble).

Personally, I'd rather have Andre Carter for 2012 than Cunningham.

Not sure. I hate the idea of cutting someone to make room for Carter that we could be using 5 years from now, long after Carter retires.

Camp fodder and/or a PUP to come on in later due to injury or poor play.

Yup, we might have to cut Markell Carter (already gone) and Cunningham (signed through this year and on the bubble).

Personally, I'd rather have Andre Carter for 2012 than Cunningham.

I think Cunningham's signed through 2013.

If he's got something left, would love to have him back. Wouldn't mind even letting him come off the PUP midseason, more chance he'd be fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

That's what I did on my first roster projection had him start the season on PUP. We keep an extra guy and have Carter coming off pup midseason to fill in for the (inevitable) injury to some DLman.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I never saw details other than it was a ruptured quad injury(?). Shortly after the injury I recall a lot of board discussion about timeframes, etc..but I think these may have been educated guesses.

Yes it was severe. The muscle quad muscle ruptured and tore off at the knee.
The severity is not just in the amount of rehab, but in that a player of his age who relies on his legs is unlikely to ever recover the burst he had.

He was the best player on the defense last year.

Even in decline, he would make the defense better. Absent pass-rush explosion, he was excellent at the first point in a Belichick defense: set the edge, extend the run wast/west, control the pocket. At best, he could be the best pass-rush option.

His strength was pass rushing. Calling his run D average is kind of generous.

Besides, read the post I quoted. The poster was drawing the conclusion that we shouldn't be worried about the injury because it was an upper body injury and that will definitely have less impact on his play.

My bad, but I still would rather have Andre Carter for half a year than to have Cunningham for two years.

I think Cunningham's signed through 2013.

OK, i'm satisfied. I just wanted to make sure it was a rock solid source and not just some speculation taking on a life of its own.

That sort of thing never happens here.

There have been reports for several weeks/months that Andre Carter has been rehabbing at Gillette.

So why is the fact that a reporter decided to once again comment on that fact suddenly newsworthy, and evidence of an imminent contract signing?

to funny :D

The thing is, that statement probably still has more chance of being accurate than if Ron Borges had just reported it.

Based on absolutely nothing but speculation, I always felt that the biggest reason for Cunningham's fall from grace last season was that he didn't react well to all the free time the lockout brought players. So taking the next step on the road to speculation, is it fair to hypothesize that the cutting of Markell Carter was made easier because the Pats brass was happy with Cunningham's off season so far.

I have no idea how its actually going, except for noting that he's been in NE for the entire off season. So I'm just brainstorming here.

Yes it was severe. The muscle quad muscle ruptured and tore off at the knee.
The severity is not just in the amount of rehab, but in that a player of his age who relies on his legs is unlikely to ever recover the burst he had.

I was primarily looking for a link.

It was thoroughly reported when it happened, should be easy to find one.

I tried. Nothing definitive is mentioned...(but that is typical of this team)

The fact that he injured his quad is mentioned thoroughly enough, but the severity is not revealed. 'Torn' is the more frequent description, but I hear people mention 'ruptured' (including "tore off at the knee" or the like) Not sure what the difference is, if any, or which one it is. I couldn't find any articles supporting this. It might make a difference as to a timeline for recovery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots