PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And you thought our Defense was bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact of the matter is we have one of the greatest defensive minds in football coaching our team. Taking solace in not being the last of the pack is not acceptable. With BB at the reins we need to at least be in the top half of the league.

Mayo and Hightower are pretty solid. :eek:

Where Ten yards down the Field? i don't think i have ever seen that.:eek: I would love to see Mayo or Hightower run toe to toe with a TE down the Field every once in a while. It's said before our LB's lack of coverage skills put alot of pressure on our Weak Secondary.

Where Ten yards down the Field? i don't think i have ever seen that.:eek: I would love to see Mayo or Hightower run toe to toe with a TE down the Field every once in a while. It's said before our LB's lack of coverage skills put alot of pressure on our Weak Secondary.

I'm not sure how you've never seen either of these guys in coverage, but you should watch them every once in a while. Spikes, on the other hand, is a disaster in coverage.

Our defense as an 11 man group isn't terrible. Our secondary would rival any group as worst all time.

So now it's the linebackers... we must be the only team with such poor linebacking then.... to think, our linebacking is so bad that it's causing our secondary to look like the worst secondary in the NFL. I'm sure on any other NFL team our secondary is just dandy. In fact, I'll bet our linebacking core would cause Revis to constantly be burned...

Nope, sorry folks, not buying it. If our secondary requires our linebackers to play perfect technique or we get burned for 30 yards a play, then why don't other secondaries get burned like ours? Face it, the secondary sucks.

Here's the reality. Our secondary sucks so bad that any minor mistake from a linebacker or lack of pressure from our line creates an overwhelming situation that our secondary can not recover from. Unlike other secondaries that can survive a couple of mistakes, ours can not. They suck plain and simple. Put anyone at safety or cornerback in that group and you still have crap.

The teams that were posted don't have the best defenses but the problem that NE has that the others don't is that all those other teams have players here and there that are not very good while the Patriots problem lies solely in the secondary where everyone sucks.....a problem in one huge area is always worse that a player here or there

The Ravens have Reed as their top secondary player,the Bills have Bryd are two examples

The Pats have Patrick Chung :(

Last edited:
......here are some surprise teams with Defenses that have performed worse than us so far this season. We are currently ranked #23 in total yards allowed per game with 376.0 and #19 in points allowed per game with 23.3.

3.) New Orleans Saints #30 in points allowed per game with 30.3 and #32 in total yards allowed with 465.5 per game

I think you uncharacteristically portray our defense and my not know the brilliance of it.
What Sprags has created is a thing of beauty and poise. A revolutionary model not seen in football sense the gravely misunderstood genius of the 2000 Minnesota vikings or 1999 Cleveland browns.

It is built to wear out the opposing offensive players as they score at will , drive after drive, cleverly allowing the them to have great success .
Leaving opposing offense heaving with breath and exhausted after dominating the time of possession., and providing a false confidence as they build a 14-21 pts lead early.

Sanchez's second half performance against the New England Patriots defense:

16 comp/20 atts 190 yards 1 TD

That is simply pathetic!

But it would account for the impression the Jets fans are promoting, that Sanchez outplayed Brady. Of course the FF that ended the game doesn't show up on the stat sheet just like the one he had in the first half.

Let me play devil's advocate here. Suppose BB just wanted to mess with Rex, Tanny and Woody. Suppose he wanted to get his team back to full focus by allowing Sanchez to advance the ball far enough to give the Pats O a challenge, but not well enough to establish a strong lead (ie by TDs).

This has 2 benefits: Firstly it sets the bar at an achievable height for the Patriots to shake themselves out of the stupor they were in and gain a comeback win against a hated rival. More amusingly it seduces the Jets coaching staff and fans into thinking that Sanchez has woken up and returned to his 2009 form, and that he is good enough to keep as the starting QB for the foreseeable future. The Fins may disabuse them of that notion this weekend. If not they will have to wait close to a month to find that he is the same old mistake prone journeyman.

Let me play devil's advocate here. Suppose BB just wanted to mess with Rex, Tanny and Woody. Suppose he wanted to get his team back to full focus by allowing Sanchez to advance the ball far enough to give the Pats O a challenge, but not well enough to establish a strong lead (ie by TDs).

This has 2 benefits: Firstly it sets the bar at an achievable height for the Patriots to shake themselves out of the stupor they were in and gain a comeback win against a hated rival. More amusingly it seduces the Jets coaching staff and fans into thinking that Sanchez has woken up and returned to his 2009 form, and that he is good enough to keep as the starting QB for the foreseeable future. The Fins may disabuse them of that notion this weekend. If not they will have to wait close to a month to find that he is the same old mistake prone journeyman.
What a load of crap!

Sanchez's second half performance against the New England Patriots defense:

16 comp/20 atts 190 yards 1 TD

That is simply pathetic!

Is that all? He must really suck. I would have expected twice that at the very least. At least he has an excuse, his #1 receiver is out for the year. He did this throwing to a bunch of #4's against our all-world secondary.

Last edited:
What a load of crap!

It was not intended to be serious - I should have included the <sarcasm> indicator, instead of playing the devil's advocate (ie unrealistic hypothesis)

Apologies for misdirecting your post

It was not intended to be serious - I should have included the <sarcasm> indicator, instead of playing the devil's advocate (ie unrealistic hypothesis)

Sorry for the bitter reply. Too frustrated with the pass defense these days and the lack of improvement on a game-by-game basis.

I was about to blast you for it as well but then I re-read your post and said to myself, "nobody could be that stupid", then figured it was sarcasm. :p

Actually, I think the Patriots defense is pretty good--at least compared with my other favorite team, UT. Compared to the Longhorns, the Patriots are looking like the '85 Bears.

I'm in complete denial :D
I still firmly believe that this defense has a lot of potential. Belichick's plan has always been to prepare for the future. Last week our defensive backfield had less than seven years experience between them. It featured two starting rookies in Tavon Wilson and Alfonzo Dennard. DMac was at Safety (where he looked out of place, but still better than Chung) and Arrington was his usual "where am I" self.

Still, with all of that being said, our secondary's struggles were not a product of lack of talent. The playcalling has been horrendous, and we NEVER blitz. Our front four has improved, but is inconsistent in pressure. Jones looked like he was outmatched with Ferguson, but I still saw many holds. Nothing we can do about that (but the zebras who CAN do something won't). We'll be in a prevent D when they line up in the I or something. It'll be a plainly obvious running play, but we'll have 8 guys drop into coverage.

And our corners (Dennard exempt) don't seem to jam or press at the LOS. Lastly, the strip has become a lost art in the NFL. Almost no corners I see try to take the ball away from the receiver. Sterling Moore is great at this. Maybe he makes it look easy...

I listened to the Boomer Esiason piece on the radio and I agree with him. He's generally a Pats homer, but even he said that rarely do you see guys as wide open as the Jets were on Sunday. He also mentioned that he can't figure out why Belichick refuses to blitz the opposing QB.

What's the most striking stat is that we let Mark Sanchez complete 68% of his passes on Sunday. MARK FRIGGIN SANCHEZ!!! He entered the game with a 49% completion rate before the Pats game. We make the worst QB's and offences in the league look like the '89 49ers.

I just don't buy the arguement that our DBs are young and need more practice. When Ty Law was here he needed to know 2 things:
1) Man or Zone
2) Did he have saftey help

That's what he needed to perform his job at a pro bowl level. There shouldn't be much confusion in the defensive backfield, and if our DBs are confused then maybe Belichick needs to simplify the playbook. I think we need to play bump and run man coverage, with different blitzes. Time for the D to get aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back