PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And you thought our Defense was bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RI Patriots fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
......here are some surprise teams with Defenses that have performed worse than us so far this season. We are currently ranked #23 in total yards allowed per game with 376.0 and #19 in points allowed per game with 23.3.

1.) NY Jets #21 in points allowed per game with 24.3

2.) Detroit Lions #22 in points allowed per game with 25.0 (this may go down a little with tonight's game)

3.) New Orleans Saints #30 in points allowed per game with 30.3 and #32 in total yards allowed with 465.5 per game

4.) Buffalo Bills #31 in points allowed per game with 32.4 and #31 in total yards allowed with 424.1 per game

5.) Baltimore Ravens #26 in total yards allowed per game with 400.0

6.) NY Giants #24 in total yards allowed per game with 379.7

Interesting observation for sure, but I still think that some very important aspects of our defense are bad for sure ;)

Sanchez's second half performance against the New England Patriots defense:

16 comp/20 atts 190 yards 1 TD

That is simply pathetic!

Interesting observation for sure, but I still think that some very important aspects of our defense are bad for sure ;)

definitely. nice to know pats arent the worst (or even second worst) though...even if they are pretty bad. run defense in yards is 8th right now...but second in YPR. Secondary has given up the most big plays in the league...but its not overall worse than the saints, bucs, or redskins.

The lack of padded practices, per the CBA, may be impeding the development of many defenses including ours..

Games have become padded practices... unfortunately.

Inexperience also is an issue for us, our starting d backfield last week had less than 7 years total experience in the NFL..

Last edited:
The lack of padded practices, per the CBA, may be impeding the development of many defenses including ours..

Games have become padded practices... unfortunately.

Inexperience also is an issue for us, our starting d backfield last week had less than 7 years total experience in the NFL..
I'd buy the inexperienced/younger unit theory. But, we all have the same number of padded practices. Granted a more seasoned unit could make better progress with fewer padded practices, so it could compound the issue with a young unit.

AND/OR

They just have limited potential, but I would say they are more talented than they are currently showing on the field (which means they can improve throughout the season).

Last edited:
its the coachesl......or the scouting department

ultimately, 100% of the buck stops with BB

he assembles his staff.......the offense was fine, but they add mcdaniels and things haven't been quite fine since (looks like the same playbook as last year's SB).....the defense has sucked, but they keep on keepin on with the inexperienced boobs that they have.

the problem is not going to fix itself....I think after a few years of defensive ineptness, the point is made

I really don't take any solace in the fact that other D's are even crappier than ours. ;)

I'd buy the inexperienced/younger unit theory. But, we all have the same number of padded practices. Granted a more seasoned unit could make better progress with fewer padded practices, so it could compound the issue with a young unit.

AND/OR

They just have limited potential, but I would say they are more talented than they are currently showing on the field (which means they can improve throughout the season).

Our d backfield is slowly developing, and being so young to the NFL it will take longer to get to where they need to be.. perhaps Gregory was anticipated to be some type of DB leader...

Heard Troy Brown talk about this 3 or 4 times now, and it does make some sense..

When you have three practices sans padsd(like they did last week) they are not getting the reps they need to progress.. game situations are not being simulated.

Troy was saying that is why there are so many teams near the .500 mark in the NFL...

Our d backfield is slowly developing, and being so young to the NFL it will take longer to get to where they need to be.. perhaps Gregory was anticipated to be some type of DB leader...

Heard Troy Brown talk about this 3 or 4 times now, and it does make some sense..

When you have three practices sans padsd(like they did last week) they are not getting the reps they need to progress.. game situations are not being simulated.

Troy was saying that is why there are so many teams near the .500 mark in the NFL...

well.....considering 3 of them (mccourty, chung, arrington) are in their 3rd or 4th year goes against this notion.......especially when they appeared to be better players 2 years ago

well.....considering 3 of them (mccourty, chung, arrington) are in their 3rd or 4th year goes against this notion.......especially when they appeared to be better players 2 years ago

Chung did not play last Sunday.. Dennard, Wilson, McCourty and Arrington add up to less than 8 years, probably about 7.5 years of experience..

Thing is, IDGAF about other defenses...

Last edited:
Chung did not play last Sunday.. Dennard, Wilson, McCourty and Arrington add up to less than 8 years, probably about 7.5 years of experience..

except that it was no different when chung was playing the weeks prior ......you're missing the point

except that it was no different when chung was playing the weeks prior ......you're missing the point

Sorry, I was wrong they had less than 6 years experience..

Nor should you, but developing perspective is often enlightening.

yeah....but the 'sucks as bad or worse' argument doesn't work either

my issue is the appearance of the possibility for improvement and with the secondary, I don't see the bodies that would suggest that this is a bunch that simply needs time

......here are some surprise teams with Defenses that have performed worse than us so far this season. We are currently ranked #23 in total yards allowed per game with 376.0 and #19 in points allowed per game with 23.3.

1.) NY Jets #21 in points allowed per game with 24.3

2.) Detroit Lions #22 in points allowed per game with 25.0 (this may go down a little with tonight's game)

3.) New Orleans Saints #30 in points allowed per game with 30.3 and #32 in total yards allowed with 465.5 per game

4.) Buffalo Bills #31 in points allowed per game with 32.4 and #31 in total yards allowed with 424.1 per game

5.) Baltimore Ravens #26 in total yards allowed per game with 400.0

6.) NY Giants #24 in total yards allowed per game with 379.7

If Patrick Hill had caught that pass late deep in our Territory...the Jets probably would have scored a go ahead TD...that drop was Huge.

Nor should you, but developing perspective is often enlightening.

The perspective is there. But having it doesn't help our defense, particularly our pass defense, get better. That's what I do GAF about.

If Patrick Hill had caught that pass late deep in our Territory...the Jets probably would have scored a go ahead TD...that drop was Huge.

You mean Stephen Hill, but he drops most balls coming his way. But you can look at a lot of individual plays and say what if.

If Dennard caught the ball over Kerley which was right in his hands rather than tipping it, the Pats would have had a turnover rather than giving up a TD on that drive. In fact, I think that play was on a 3rd and 7 and if he tipped the ball and it didn't bounce in Kerley's hands the Jets would have punted rather than scoring a TD on that drive.

My point is you can look at a lot of individual plays and say if a player didn't screw up, the game could have been very different.

yeah....just like the cromartie drop on the gronk target in the 4th quarter 3 and out

You mean Stephen Hill, but he drops most balls coming his way. But you can look at a lot of individual plays and say what if.

If Dennard caught the ball over Kerley which was right in his hands rather than tipping it, the Pats would have had a turnover rather than giving up a TD on that drive. In fact, I think that play was on a 3rd and 7 and if he tipped the ball and it didn't bounce in Kerley's hands the Jets would have punted rather than scoring a TD on that drive.

My point is you can look at a lot of individual plays and say if a player didn't screw up, the game could have been very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes