PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

...And this is why we are going to pay Asante 20 million...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEfan32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Ellis Hobbs and Randall Gay. These guys were getting torched. I know Burress only had 2 catches, but if Gay and Hobbs are our starting CB's next season, we are going to get killed.

I was against signing Asante, but now, if we don't, I am really worried.

they got torched all season

asante had a good year, but also had plenty of weak moments

he's no ty law

Last edited:
Look at seymour after his payday. Im just sayin' :bricks:

Ellis Hobbs and Randall Gay. These guys were getting torched. I know Burress only had 2 catches, but if Gay and Hobbs are our starting CB's next season, we are going to get killed.

I was against signing Asante, but now, if we don't, I am really worried.

Hmm.. Hobbs played much of the year with a sports hernia and a groin injury. Gay was coming back from injury himself. Granted he didn't look great for most of the year.

As for Samuel, he was beaten as many times as he had good plays. Hell, he got beaten by David Tyree. The guy hadn't caught a TD pass all year. Yet, Asante was the one out of position on that play. Also, Asante is the one who couldn't come up with the interception that would have ended the game.

Look at seymour after his payday. Im just sayin' :bricks:

you could say the same thing about ty warren.

I think they need a legit pass rusher.

two would be even better

you could say the same thing about ty warren.

I think they need a legit pass rusher.

two would be even better

Not sure how you could say the same thing about Warren. He and Wilfork were getting doubled much of the year.

Hobbs played a pretty good game despite the one big screw up Plaxico lit him up on.

they got torched all season

asante had a good year, but also had plenty of weak moments

he's no ty law

Exactly!!! Asante is not a pure shut down corner!! He does not dominate like Ty did when the Pats played in big games.

Not that I'm really interested in second guessing, but if Samuel is so good, why wasn't HE covering Burress on that final play... and why was Hobbs in 1 on 1 coverage?

Likely the coaches have a reason for that - its not like they were assigned people man on man to one guy all game. At times Hobbs was on Toomer as well.

I don't have the answers but I do understand that the Patriots have defensive system that is bigger than just one individual player.

Also, let's not go crazy over Samuel as a shut down corner. I like him - and would be happy to have him back for less than the highest priced CB in the league - but he's listed at 5' 10" and that might be an exaggeration as well.

Burress is 6' 5" - and 7 inches difference is tough for Samuel or Hobbs to cover on their own.

CB's who get the money Asante Samuel wants don't let game clinching INT's go through their fingertips.

If he walks I won't be crying over it, he's not worth the money. I'd rather see them spend it somewhere else.

Not sure how you could say the same thing about Warren. He and Wilfork were getting doubled much of the year.

so seymour, green, and lb's were single covered?

How did the Giant WEAK secondary do yesterday? Do they have a shut down corner? No, they don't. That is what a ferocious pass rush does for a secondary. It makes it better than it actually is. I would rather see the Pats spend their money on linebacking and pass rush...Samuel is in NO WAY a shut down corner, period.

This is BS. Our offensive line didn't show up last night and our coaching svcked balls. We limited the Giants to 10 pts before that miracle drive. With this offense we should have beaten a team that scored only 17 pts. Not to mention that it was Asante who gave up the TD to Plaxico.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and realize that a team that wins 18 straight games but then falters in the Superbowl doesn't need these knee jerk reactionary overhauls of any one part of the team.

Asante's superbowl performance, in my opinion, has hurt his free agency value.

It certainly didn't help it out any...

The Giants were held to a field goal unitl the last two drives. That isn't exacty torched. They didn't get much help from the offense.

Last edited:
You completely forgot about the 2008 NFL Draft. Besides, the NY Giants proved it last night ..... if you constantly apply pressure to the quarterback, you don't have to spend a bundle of money at cornerback.

Gay and Hobbs are always dinged up. Most football players are, and undersized ones (for their positions) in particular.

Last edited:
CBs who are worth that kind of money can play both sides of the field. If he only plays one side, that means the other team gets to dictate the matchups. What difference does it make if you have a great corner on one side of the formation if the offense puts their best receiver on Ellis Hobbs?

You completely forgot about the 2008 NFL Draft. Besides, the NY Giants proved it last night ..... if you constantly apply pressure to the quarterback, you don't have to spend a bundle of money at cornerback.

Exactly. Bill looks for highly coachable athletes who can function within his scheme. He hopes they develop into playmakers. Asante did, although last night he couldn't make the play that mattered most. Hobbs did make plays all night, including the lone turnover we managed all night (despite several opportunities that nearly netted forced turnovers). Just the offense couldn't capitalize on it.

Hobbs did his job last night, to cover the incut which Plax faked and count on the blitz getting to Eli. The blitz didn't get to Eli, and absent help over the top that reception was a given. It was IMO a lousy call against a QB who was evading them pretty well with a 6'5" target on the field and in a situation where only a TD or INC would suffice. They were out of TO, and while a sack would have set them back they still would have had time to take one more shot at the EZ. The one time all season you really wanted to see 6 DB's blanketing a short field, we chose to blitz.

The Giants secondary is nothing special, yet because their front 4 dominated our front 5 and even 6, they were able to play man instead of zone and shut down the best offense in football. It all begins and ends at the LOS. I'm not sure Asante is worth the <$6M they offered him last spring. He's certainly not worth tying up $8M+.

I would rather spend the money on Terrell Suggs. Samuel can get his money elsewhere. He did not come up clutch when it mattered most. He gave up a TD to David Tyree? Also, if he would have caught the ball on the final drive, the Pats are champs. But that didn't happen. The Patriots will set a price tag and tell him to take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots