Welcome to PatsFans.com

And the times, they are a-changin'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, ummm... perhaps you missed the headline, a crucial part of a story... you know, the beginning?

NY Times publisher: Our goal is to manage the transition from print to internet

what they mean is that everything is moving to their respective web sites... not that the NYT is failing.... nice try, though....

print media across the board is conolidating and moving towards the web... here, have a read at any of 32 pages of inner-office memos:

http://poynter.org/forum/?id=32127

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Makes a great slug, though!! So, they will be brought to the same level as... the patsfan.com !! Cool.

:D

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Drudge manipulating a headline?

thats crazy!

5. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, like the NYTomes and the WashPast haven't been doing that for ... at least 27 seconds!!!

:woohoo:

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

my god... what are you ever talking about? and please, if you have any self-respect, don't use lyrics by unabashed liberal Bob Dylan to underscore your goofy righty talking points...

7. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Newspapers are going under, it's no surprise that NYT would go first. It has nothing to do with ideology, they're just publishing in the most tech-savvy city in the country. The rest will follow. Which is too bad, really... I get my news from the internet, but I do love sitting down to lunch to a newspaper.

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Told you I wasn't a "righty"!!! Blows away your stereotypical concepts, doesn't it. (Yes)

:D

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

all newspapers have their own website... they're not "going under"... they're merely transferring their medium to computers rather than news racks...

10. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And at that point they stop being newspapers.

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

call yourself whatever makes you feel better inside... i'd be distancing myself from the word "righty" also if i were one... nonetheless, your posting pattern makes it painfully obvious what you are.... and that you can't erase, jackass...

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

!!!!

Amazing.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Try looking at their stocl performance and check the # of layoffs recently.:p

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i suppose you're correct, in the literal sense... the companies that operate them are still putting out a news product, i guess is what i meant to say...

regardless, i've seen their quarterlies... newspapers still make money, hand over fist... when they say their not, they're lying just like MLB owners... it's just that computers have consolidated many aspects of the job, like many other industries, and layoffs are inevitable and have been for 15 years...

15. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Newspapers aren't going under but the industry is changing. The NYT is like a lot of papers across the country, they're transitioning into an internet based model.

Drudge hates newspapers and takes great joy in predicting their doom. But what he doesn't understand is while eventually the print will go away, papers who are proactive and are willing to take the full plunge into cyberspace will prosper.

I like blogs as much as the next guy, but keep in mind the average blogger sitting behind his computer with his giant beer gut and soiled clothing doesn't have the money to send himself to cover a Super Bowl, the Congress etc. and even if they did, there's zero chance the NFL or the US Govt. would give a credential to Joe Blow from Jersey. Blogs are great up to a point, but their access to events is and will always be quite limited.

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There's something about the demise of the newspaper that scares the hell out of me. Even george Jetson read the paper at home once in a while. I hope they keep doing the Sunday paper. My family spent Sunday morning together on the den floor tearing through the paper when I was a kid. We learned a lot and broadened our horizons as a family. My new family does it now. It's one of the things we always have made the time for to be together. One less thing for families to do together and it would suck if the Sundays go.