Welcome to PatsFans.com

And the rich keep getting richer

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, May 24, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Now it's revealed that the major partner of the outfit that recently discovered a sunken 17th century pirate ship filled with some $500 Million in gold and silver is none other than John Edwards, the same Democrat candidate for the presidency who owns the largest private home estate in his county in North Carolina. Much mystery surrounds the other principals of this venture, but one thing is certain: it's a HUGE pay day, at least for some people. Nice work if you can get it. Should go a long way to helping the poor out from the "2 Americas".

--

John Edwards Stakes Claim on Pirate Booty

By Brett Arends
    Mutual Funds Columnist
    5/23/2007 10:33 AM EDT
    Click here for more stories by Brett Arends

The question of the day: Just how much of the $500 million sunken treasure found in the Atlantic last weekend belongs to Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards?

I put a call in to Edwards' campaign yesterday morning to find out, but I haven't heard back yet.

The reality? The populist one-term senator will get an undisclosed piece of the action from the sunken 17th-century galleon.

The ship, laden with gold and silver, was found at the bottom of the Atlantic by a little-known exploration company, Florida-based Odyssey Marine Research (OMR - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr)

http://www.thestreet.com/_breitbart...at=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed&puc=breitbart

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Isn't this the American Way, would there be delight if this mission had failed and no treasure was found??.. once again I do not like Edwards, but why is this a RW talking point.. it is what it is, an opportunity presented itself, Edwards provided funding and now he shares in the wealth. Is this any difference in what Guiliani has done?? Don't come back with how Edwards supports a middle class tax increase without a source.

3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Having great wealth is not a sin in my book. It's what one does with the wealth at one's command that makes all the difference.

So far, I do not see what Edwards has done with all the wealth he has derived from his medical malpractice legal career, except for buying the biggest farm in Orange County, N. Carolina. What he will do with his part of this new half a Billion dollar windfall remains to be seen.

One is for sure: he talks all the time about how he's a friend of less advantaged in his "2 Americas" theme, while he is clearly living in the more advantaged level. What's he going to do with all his advantages? That's what I'm wondering.

//

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

The point is you do not know, and you are just regurgitating right wing talking points. I have no idea what he does with his money, and neither do you. We do not even know if he was an investor in this deal, how much it is worth or what his cut is and he is already being criticized.

He may be the most generous person running for office or someone who buries it all.. we do not know, so why does this become an issue??? We do not know what he does with his "advantages".

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

This I don't have a problem with. He invested in a private company seeking a ROI. HE isn't in this case soaking a publicly funded Univ while whining about the loans the students take out or asking the middle class to pay more taxes for social programs.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Asked you this yesterday, do you have a source for this??

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It is NOT a "right-wing talking point" to ask what Edwards actually does with his mega-millions while he goes on about "two Americas, the rich and the poor".

Accountability is the lynch pin of the new world. Those who have a lot should be expected to give a lot back, *ESPECIALLY* if they make it a centerpiece of their political platform, as Edwards has.

Like AlGore who has been preaching the sky is falling because we produce too much carbon dioxide, when he produces *20 times* what the average American produces, he loses his credibility, in a big way.

People can spin all they want but if we say something is important the least we should be expected to do is follow our own advice. Anything less is blatant hypocrisy.

//

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

How do you know what Edwards does or does not give back?? Do not say it is not a RW talking point, is a lie, the internet fuels this kinds of stuff on both sides of the aisle. You do not even know what his cut of this treasure is, the whole thing is conjecture and speculation. Just like yesterday someone said he favors a tax increase for the middle class, what is the source?? Bottom line there is none, it is all just BS.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

BTW here is a source for Fox News about what he donated recently, his giving is based on a reported income of $1.25 million, the percent he gave to charity is 54%.. that is pretty good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273133,00.html

The Edwards family donated more than $350,000 to charity, including the International Rescue Committee and Habitat for Humanity.

Edwards' largest holding was a conservative investment: $5 million to $25 million in a money market fund, Columbia Cash Reserves.

Edwards also received $333,334 in royalties for his book "Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives." The money was donated to charity.

I agree with the premise that for whom much is given, much is expected.. $683,000 in contributions is a pretty healthy sum.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

quite easily among the most pathetic of turd threads in the history of political blogging forums, on a number of different levels...

someone please flush it... and pray the toilet can handle it... :scared:

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, but we know how he earned it. He earned it by doing everything he can to destroy the health care system in the United States of America. People like John Edwards are the reason so many Americans cannot afford and do not have health care.

Ironic that he now turns to the health care system in his family's time of need, isn't it..?

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a source for that statement... my source is "open your f*cking eyes and read a newspaper article every once in a while and then join the rest of us in the real world."

Do you have access to that outlet..?

13. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

To say this is a legitimate question is just that: it's a question that needs answering, and it will be, no matter who doesn't want it known. Now you label it a RW "talking point"?? What, now the people have no right to ask substantive questions of candidates anymore??!! Welcome to the Animal Farm, 1984, and the totalitarian world where a person cannot ask those in charge any questions. Sounds like the Soviet Union, Cuba, North Korea, or communist China.

Yeah, it's true: I DON'T know what he's doing with all his loot, except for the humongous palatial estate he built for himself in Orange County, North Carolina. So, let's hear it: what *is* he doing for the "other America" with all his mega-millions? Does he walk the walk, or only talk the talk??

This is one question that WILL be answered before long, despite what the would-be left-wing dictatorship wants kept under wraps.

Power to the people!!

//

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Look at who pay the taxes in this country, try the IRS if you are interested.

15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

another baseless assumption from the right. But lets not let facts slow down your ranting ideological Limbaugh ways.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

He's a business man, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He has every right to invest his money as he deems fit.

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Baseless assumption"...? You mean the notion that trial lawyers and frivolous malpractice suits are destroying America's healthcare system...? You call that a "baseless assumption"...?

Oh, my. Looks like you've decided to take up Patters' mantle in his abscence of ultra-partisan, ultra-idiotic statements. :rolleyes:

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

All the people on the right Qui Con, Fogbuster etc. continue to put out falsities that are framed as truth.. Edwards ruins the healthcare system.. if you put all this together he is the second coming of Charles Manson... and there has not been one credible link to back up any of these allegations, all conjecture and stretched half truths.

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I don't think Edward's alone is to blame for the problems we have in our healthcare system, as they are numerous and comprehensive. However, his kind are certainly a healthy chunk of the problem. Personally, I think Edward's is a hypocritical, ambulance chasing POS, who would never get my vote. Of course, I think that of a lot of politicians and people. :D

20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a question I know you're too chickensh*t to answer directly:

Do trial and malpractice lawyers damage our healthcare system in America hurting the ability of some people to get insurance at good rates or at all...?

I look forward to you evading the question...