PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And the Ravens did weep for they would receive no more rings...

I have been calling for this for years. PI is called so inconsistently and they get it wrong too many times on passes over 30 yards that it has forced many QBs (like the one you are implying) to just throw jump balls down the field and hope for PI for big gains.

I know the argument that DBs will just take the penalty than give up a TD on a long bomb, but many do anyway even with the rule as it is. And this is the college rule and it hasn't hurt that game.

Could a rule change like this actually be good for the Pats? Instead of Jump Ball Joe (Flacco) heaving it up there and getting a 45 yard penalty, it would only be a 15 yard penalty.

Could a rule change like this actually be good for the Pats? Instead of Jump Ball Joe (Flacco) heaving it up there and getting a 45 yard penalty, it would only be a 15 yard penalty.

It definitely benefits a precision passing team like the Pats. It works the other way too. If you get a PI call on a 6 yard pass, it is a 15 yard penalty rather than a spot foul.

Definitely a positive rule change, I'm in favor. This could also change how teams defend against two-minute drills in a pretty funny way.

Definitely good for the current roster. The Pats don't benefit from downfield PI calls nearly as much as a bunch of other teams do, so they would be hurt the among the least, and therefore helped, by any change. Not to mention that the Ravens would be hurt by far the worst by this rule change, and the Broncos would be right up there too.

This would be a good change IMO. In regards to DB's just tackling guys when they're beat, I've always felt like if a professional DB is close enough to a receiver that he can tackle him but doesn't try to make a clean play on the ball, he's going to get chewed out by his coaches. I don't think that's going to be a problem at all outside of a few knuckleheads who won't last long.

Definitely a positive rule change, I'm in favor. This could also change how teams defend against two-minute drills in a pretty funny way.

At least we agree on one thing.

This is good news, and could eliminate the NFL's equivalent to the charging/blocking call that makes the NBA frustrating to watch at times.

In the past, I thought they should weigh having two grades of foul. If the foul is clearly intentional and made only to break up the play, perhaps it could be a spot foul. However, I think that makes an already subjective play even more subjective, and am fine with them calling it a 15 yard foul. If a player is willing to trade 15 yards to break up the deep ball, and is in position to do so, then have at it - just as the OT can hold the hell out of DE that might've gone on for a strip sack or game-changing play, or a WR can OPI to prevent an interception, etc. There's no other play in the sport where the outcome of the play is conceded like in DPI.

I think they should keep it the way it is every year they change something this is getting Ridiculous.

I applaud this change. For all the talk of, "if a guy gets beat and the penalty is only 15 yards, he'll just tackle the receiver" I just don't see that happening much in the college game. Most of the time a guy is beaten that badly, he isn't close enough to do anything about it. If he is reasonably close, he'll just play defense and try to break up the play without the penalty. Only when you are beaten quickly (like Butler in the SB) are you going to trip or grab, and that isn't going to be more than 15 yards downfield anyhow.

In fairness I'd like to see some of the aspects of defensive penalties attached to their equivalent offensive penalties.

Imagine the call....

"Pass interference, offense, number 89. 15 yard penalty, automatic fourth dowwwwnnn.....

:rolleyes:

Yea this would definitely make more sense.

If nothing else, think of it like this: PI as it currently stands, has the largest potential impact on a game of any penalty (in terms of yardage) and it is the most subjectively called penalty on top of that. So your most important penalty is also the one most likely to suffer from human error. Lessening the impact of that is a good thing.

I know the argument that DBs will just take the penalty than give up a TD on a long bomb, but many do anyway even with the rule as it is. And this is the college rule and it hasn't hurt that game.

I don't see it. A guy who consistently commits PI that costs the team 15 yards is going to lose his job.

Teams will likely still heave it down the field but now they won't get these miracle ass PIs on a hail mary that put them at 1st and goal when they had no right to be there.

If we has a Legit Deep threat not name Gronk we would be pissed. What if we finally get a guy who is tackled 40 yards down field from time to time?? This rule is going to hurt Teams who have Big Play WR's.

I don't see it. A guy who consistently commits PI that costs the team 15 yards is going to lose his job.

Teams will likely still heave it down the field but now they won't get these miracle ass PIs on a hail mary that put them at 1st and goal when they had no right to be there.

Yeah, if a team is facing a 3rd and 20, a 15 yard penalty still keeps the drive alive. So defenders cannot just willy nilly take PI calls down the field on third downs because they may not hurt as bad, but they still hurt pretty bad.

I definitely think it could benefit the Pats as we are more likely to get a call against us for more than 15 yds. than for us for more than 15 yds. We have Brady. A first down is what keeps us moving no matter how many yards we get for it. Other teams, like Baltimore, need to rely on the big chunks gained a few times each game to keep them in the game. C'mom NFL, make the change!

If we has a Legit Deep threat not name Gronk we would be pissed. What if we finally get a guy who is tackled 40 yards down field from time to time?? This rule is going to hurt Teams who have Big Play WR's.

Ask yourself which of these two happens more often currently:

1) An obviously beaten CB commits PI to save a TD.
2) A questionable PI call gives the other team 30+ yards.

Then ask yourself what's best for the game. In my opinion it's #2 that happens the most, by far.

A beaten CB is thinking 'stop the TD'. That happens today, but rarely, and will continue to happen at the same rate because a CB isn't going to do yardage math when thinking about committing PI, he's thinking 'stop the TD', period. 15 yards and a 1st down is never a good thing. A CB who is consistently out of position to where he has to commit a PI is going to get taken off the field.

So basically any pass to Gronk is a 15 yd play!
Oh, wait! Re-watched the playoffs and LBs had him wrapped up before the ball play after play.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back