PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And if you lose this Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobills

Rookie
Reaction score
Just curious as to what you guys think the mindset will be if you guys drop this game. I'm not referring to the rest of the regular season, because I think you will steamroll through most everyone. I'm talking about the rematch in the postseason. All of the offseason moves you guys have made have been to address concerns of other teams. Specifically, us and San Diego. Adalius brought in to slowdown Clark and Gates. Welker and Moss to provide the necessary weapons to compete in a shootout game scenario. Merriweather drafted for additional depth at safety for R. Harrison's aging and injury. I just think that there will be some 2nd guessing of your core players if you guys go down and ultimately lose HFA. You added all this talent and would still have lost to the Colts. That would have to creep up in the back of some players' minds come January if we were to play again in Indy. Just curious as to what you guys think? And please try to have somewhat of an open mind.

How did you feel when the Patriots throttled your hapless Colts so many times that your devious GM, as head of the rules committee, changed the defensive rules FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS until it's become the pitch and catch league we have today...did THAT ever creep into the back of your mind?

Just curious as to what you guys think the mindset will be if you guys drop this game. I'm not referring to the rest of the regular season, because I think you will steamroll through most everyone. I'm talking about the rematch in the postseason. All of the offseason moves you guys have made have been to address concerns of other teams. Specifically, us and San Diego. Adalius brought in to slowdown Clark and Gates. Welker and Moss to provide the necessary weapons to compete in a shootout game scenario. Merriweather drafted for additional depth at safety for R. Harrison's aging and injury. I just think that there will be some 2nd guessing of your core players if you guys go down and ultimately lose HFA. You added all this talent and would still have lost to the Colts. That would have to creep up in the back of some players' minds come January if we were to play again in Indy. Just curious as to what you guys think? And please try to have somewhat of an open mind.

And you say Patriots fans get too ahead of themselves.

Rematch? I don't think the Colts are a lock for the AFCCG by any means.

Get a grip guys. I was looking at this from a psychological standpoint not trying to bait you into some argument. Yes, it sucked when we would add new weapons and still lose to you guys in years past. And I firmly believe it effected us in the playoffs against the Pats. Did I say anything about Polian *****ing? No. I could personally care less about that stuff. I'm here to talk about the matchup and the ramifications of this game on each team.

Just curious as to what you guys think the mindset will be if you guys drop this game.
I think -- for fans of both teams -- the mindset will depend on the nature of the loss. If the teams are competitive and the score is close, fans will look forward to AFCCG redemption. If one team has no answers, I think those fans concede the season. I'm not saying that the season will be lost for the loser, just that the fans will think so.

I agree with you that the Pat's offseason was about beating the Colts and I expect them to do that. If they fall a little short, I'm fine with BB planning for a rematch.

Wizwor....I agree it'll be the nature of the loss as well. If either team gets blown out there will be some severe doubts that will linger. From the Colts...Can we stop those guys? From the Pats...We made all these moves and still can't win. Having said that I don't see either team rolling over the other.

Wizwor....I agree it'll be the nature of the loss as well. If either team gets blown out there will be some severe doubts that will linger. From the Colts...Can we stop those guys? From the Pats...We made all these moves and still can't win. Having said that I don't see either team rolling over the other.

I'd concur, the only real time to ask this question is after the game. If we lose the game in a squeaker 28-31 and you see a lot of mental lapses and poor play that has been missing all season, I won't be devistated. However, if we play a straight game and get toasted, then yeah, that would be frustrating.

Same happens in reverse though too, but even more magnified. I personally think a loss for you guys, either close or blow out is harder on you. It confirms what you already are all thinking "Gee, these guys are deserving of more hype like they've been getting." I know I'd be annoyed to be as good as you guys are, be the defending champs and have all the attention payed to another team. You'll find no confort in "Well, least we didn't get our ass kicked as bad as everyone else did.". Some teams take solace in that and I actually heard a Dallas fan on Sirius yesturday that said, almost boastfully "We're the only team that was able to hang with NE into the 3rd". NO JOKE. :singing:

OTOH, a blow out win by us, is even tougher, cuz you get forced to look in the mirro and say "They treated us just like they did everyone else".

Last edited:
Fair question.

Anything is possible, after all these are the two best teams in the league and there is not much between them in terms of skill and fire. I almost feel perverse in saying it might actually be a good thing if the Patriots lost, because they will have two weeks to analyze their mistakes and weaknesses and then make the adjustments. I am sure that BB would rather know where his team is vulnerable and where the Colts think and play to that vulnerability, than to win a victory that will seem hollow if they lose against the Colts in the playoffs (AFCC is not a given at this stage).

The goal here is the SB not the Dolphins record, although I have to admit it would be nice.

I also think that the loss to the Colts will be worse, despite Dungy and Polian's pre-emptive strike to say otherwise. The Colts still have their SB XLI momentum and confidence. When you are the champion you do have a subconscious belief in your immortality until the first defeat, and the return to reality is a longer more precipitous journey.

Makes for an interesting game though, doesn't it?

If the Patriots lose this Sunday they will go back to work on Monday just like the rest of us. Except for homefield advantage and bragging rights it means nothing. However, even though it means little it sure as heck is going to be a great game. Perhaps better than many we have ever seen. Even non-fans of these 2 teams will enjoy it.

Neither team will be eliminated.

No trophy will be awarded. No parades are scheduled.

This is a regular season game. Someone will win, someone will lose (okay, it could be a tie), both teams will go back to work. The overblown hype will be over.

We'll just have to do better next time. This game doesn't decide who goes to the Super Bowl - it just makes the journey a lot easier for the winner.

While I don't think it will happen, I think the result would be twofold. 1. It takes the "pressure" of going undefeated off. 2. It gives them added motivation the next time around. Plus the Colts HFA isn't as great over the Pats as vice-versa.

IF it were to happen in January, then MAYBE some thoughts creep in (I seriously doubt that they would then either). But not this time around.

It depends on the mindset of the players before the game too. If you start believing your own hype and you get beat it could have an affect IF we are to play again. However if the players are proffesional about it as I believe they are, they know their strengths and weaknesses as every good coach, co-ordinator and player should then you just go with it, make adjustments where you think you can and go out and play hard. If it's not to be, it's not to be.

Well, one minor point: *I* will not win or lose this weekend, so whatever happens, at the end of the game, I'll turn off the TV, go grab a book, maybe have a beer, etc, etc

As for the Patriots, I think they're a little too confident to let a loss do much to them. They'll just think they need to execute things better and re-double their efforts to dominate the rest of the year. It's just a regular season game, and the Patriots have always been about peaking in the playoffs.

Unless someone gets blown out, I don't think either team's confidence is shaky enough to have anything happen in this one game.

I think if we lose this Sunday, we'll be 8-1.

Next question, please.

I think the mindset of the losing teams fans, Pats or Colts, will be depression follow by denial. Meaning they will be deflated but will quickly rebound and say it's the playoffs that matter.

I think the players of the losing team, Pats or Colts, will be disappointed but both organizations are very mature and they'll do what they always do which is move on to the next opponent.

For the Pats they get two weeks to stew so god help the Bills.

For the Colts it's not as easy having to go to San Diego.

I think this is the only difference for the post game loser is the Pats having a bye and the Colts having to travel to the NFL's 3rd best team.

Psychologically I think the loss will hurt either team. But both coaches are focused enough to get their team ready and playing the following week. More than anything I'm sure both coaches will see some things out on the playing field that they will adjust to the following game, assumably the AFCCG. This game will be a true measure of where these two teams are at.

No doubt they are both the best right now, which has been apparent since week 3. But one team will go on to win and be the media darling with massive undefeated exposure talk. And one will be the team that is second rate that couldn't get the job done. It almost is a superbowl in itself considering it's only week 9. I don't think the NFL has seen a regular season matchup like this since the Cowboys-49ers.

I'd love to be a fly in either locker room to view the attitudes of these two teams. Same goes for after the game.

To paraphrase Chris Collinsworth last night on HBO's Inside the NFL:

"The Colts have more at stake here.

If the Colts wins, we will have to say, hmmmmmmm, maybe we have to rethink this whole thing, maybe THEY are the team to beat.

If the Patriots win - - on the road - - in Indy, the season is all over and they will just steamroll everyone in their path and are probably the Greatest Team of All Time"

The Sox were down 3-1 to the Injuns, down 3-0 to the Jankees, and they came back both times to win it all.

Belichick may actually THROW this game, just to give you guys all the overconfidence you need to step on your tails in the playoffs, IF we ever get there.

Hey, it's the middle of the season, enjoy it!! :D

//

Last edited:

Were the unlikely to happen I would be of course deeply disappointed but upon reflection I would take the Belichick Patriot approach that the team needed to work harder to improve. Make less mistakes, play better defense, better communication between Brady and the receivers, tighten up on STs, whatever is relevant to what happened.

I think that the Colts would think the same way. Whoever loses most likely will have another shot at redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back