PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And I thought the Pats had problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
When we are moping around worrying about Tedy's unavailability for the preseason with a fractured wrist, it would be useful to look at problems suffered by out competitors.

Miami

Jason Taylor will not play in this weekend's preseason game due to "back problems". Recall that such problems cost McGinnest three years of effectiveness in Carroll's last years and BB first year here.

Vonnie Holiday, another starter on the Miami "Antique Line", is suffering from his bad knee. The problem is becoming chronic. Also on their Dline, former 2nd round pick Manny Wright has asked to be released to recover from his chronic depression, and get a "new start" elsewhere. Three pieces of a Dline puzzle that Nick didn't need.

Meanwhile on the Oline, Seth McKinney is facing surgery for a neck problem that may IR him for the season. Seth is a starter. While ballyhooed imports Stockar McDougle, LJ Shelton and Mike Pearson have managed to get to two second string rankings and a third string ranking on an abysmal line.

"I cried I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet".

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
When we are moping around worrying about Tedy's unavailability for the preseason with a fractured wrist, it would be useful to look at problems suffered by out competitors.

Miami

Jason Taylor will not play in this weekend's preseason game due to "back problems". Recall that such problems cost McGinnest three years of effectiveness in Carroll's last years and BB first year here.

Vonnie Holiday, another starter on the Miami "Antique Line", is suffering from his bad knee. The problem is becoming chronic. Also on their Dline, former 2nd round pick Manny Wright has asked to be released to recover from his chronic depression, and get a "new start" elsewhere. Three pieces of a Dline puzzle that Nick didn't need.

Meanwhile on the Oline, Seth McKinney is facing surgery for a neck problem that may IR him for the season. Seth is a starter. While ballyhooed imports Stockar McDougle, LJ Shelton and Mike Pearson have managed to get to two second string rankings and a third string ranking on an abysmal line.

McKinney had surgery today and is expected to be out 2-3 months.

NYG

It appears that Lavar Arrington is not doing well at all. He has a degenerative knee condition that is preventing him from playing up to his old standards. It appears the Giant's gamble on his health, is turning out to be a roll of "snakeyes".

Perhaps the Patriot's Front Office knew what it was doing in NOT going after Lavar's services in Free Agency...

AzPatsFan said:

Miami

This is exactly why I don't think Miami is going to be very good - neither line is particularly deep or talented. You can't win if you don't win in the trenches first.

There are probably a LOT of teams with injuries and question marks..many MORE than the Patriots have..no big deal.

Richter,

I agree wholeheartedly with your observation.

(But be prepared for the Disigustingtampax retort; Its overdue.)

The Nicktator is still suffering from Wanstadtitis. The Phish had essentally no draft this past season. Its almighty hard to catch up when you can't draft anybody, and your FA additions don't seem to be working out. Merely bringing order to chaos as the Nick has done, only goes so far.

Richter said:
This is exactly why I don't think Miami is going to be very good - neither line is particularly deep or talented. You can't win if you don't win in the trenches first.

One key reason I am really optimistic about our fate this year is due to excactly what you pointed out.

I feel our D & O lines are as deep and talented as they have ever been and rival the best in all of the NFL.

AzPatsFan said:

It's the first pre-season game. He's a perennial pro-bowler, and one of the best DE's in the league, when he has a "back spasm", and he doesn't want to practice or play, he doesn't have to....

Vonnie Holiday, another starter on the Miami "Antique Line", is suffering from his bad knee. The problem is becoming chronic.

That's one I haven't heard yet. You have a link to support that fact??....

Also on their Dline, former 2nd round pick Manny Wright has asked to be released to recover from his chronic depression, and get a "new start" elsewhere. Three pieces of a Dline puzzle that Nick didn't need.

First off, do some research next time. DT M. Wright was a 5th Round "Supplemental Draft" pick in 2005. He never even made an impact on our defense. Sure, we were hoping he'd eventually come along, but it's not like we're losing some vital piece to our DL or anything....

Trust me, our DL in Miami should not be weaker in 2006. Not unless we encounter some serious losses to injury. We may have some old players, but they're still playing at a high enough level to keep our defense solid. I'm not at all worried about our DL. They were good enough in 2005, and they should be even better now with a full season under their belts within the 3-4....

Meanwhile on the Oline, Seth McKinney is facing surgery for a neck problem that may IR him for the season. Seth is a starter.

Was a starter. He was replaced at C by R. Hadnot{ex-RG}, during mini-camp. He was then slated to battle for the starting RG position against B. Anderson....

Now that he's out{McKinney}, our depth on the OL will certainly be effected, but I'm still not sure if he would have been starting anywhere afetr losing his job at Center....

While ballyhooed imports Stockar McDougle, LJ Shelton and Mike Pearson have managed to get to two second string rankings and a third string ranking on an abysmal line.

I've got new for you, McDougal has been gone for awhile now.....

As for LJ Shelton, he's slated to start at LT right now, and with the coaching he's getting under Houck, he may surprise you this year. He's big / physical, and I think he'll be an upgrade over McIntosh....

OT M. Pearson is a training camp body at this stage. He's a big guy, but he looks like an injury waiting to happen. He brings more competition to the OL, but I doubt he'll make the team....

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:

Miami

Jason Taylor will not play in this weekend's preseason game due to "back problems".

Considering this is the first preseason game in which he only would have been in for one series anyway, and the fact that this is the first time he's had back spasms (not chronic), I'd equate this injury with the "shoulder problems" Brady reportedly had all last year.

The only mildly concerning injury is Seth's since it depletes depth at a couple positions.

AzPatsFan said:

Wow, dare I say that's making a mountain out of a mole hill? To assume that Taylor is going to be bothered by this "back problem" for three years just because McGinest was is just plain silly.

As for sources How about Mike Florio's Pro Football Talk.

Pierson is certainly old. Why he was drafted in the first round by JAX in 2002 or 2003, I beleive, before becoming a Busterroo like Stockar and LJ....

How is Traylor doing? Are you planning on attending His "Black Fortieth" Birthday party? Isn't that the one where they hang black and gray streamers and someone comes in costume as as the "Grim Reaper"?

huskeralk said:
Wow, dare I say that's making a mountain out of a mole hill? To assume that Taylor is going to be bothered by this "back problem" for three years just because McGinest was is just plain silly.

I've had back spasms that required physical therapy. It's no fun, and the frustrating part is it's lingering effects.

Will it last 3 years for him? Who knows? On the other hand, look at the sport he plays...

AzPatsFan said:
Manny Wright has asked to be released to recover from his chronic depression, and get a "new start" elsewhere.
Wouldn't you be depressed if you had to play for the Dolphins? :D

AzPatsFan said:
How is Traylor doing? Are you planning on attending His "Black Fortieth" Birthday party? Isn't that the one where they hang black and gray streamers and someone comes in costume as as the "Grim Reaper"?

Traylor put up a good season last year but I'll be amazed if he can do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes