Welcome to PatsFans.com

And Another One Bites, And Another One Bites,

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 18, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And Another One Bites the Dust.......and blames the "poisonous environment of DC for his shortcomings. Uh, huh, sure. Never would have happened back home in Indianer, right? God lives there and God don't never travel outa state - apparently neither does Souder's family.

:)

Indiana Republican Rep. Mark Souder announced Tuesday he would resign from Congress, effective Friday, because he had an affair with a staffer.

Souder said in a statement provided by his office that he has "sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff."

"In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain," he said. "I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process."

Indiana Rep. Souder says he'll resign over affair
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Clinton should have resigned also, get rid of the bastards, if they cheat on their wives what will they do to us........................:confused:
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Trying to blame a 'posionous atmosphere' rather than manning up and taking responsibility, glad to see him go.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

We're such a conservative society. That a man should have to resign office because of an affair is ridiculous. Who are we to measure this mistake by such a high standard? Sure, having an affair is a bad thing, but most of those who do not have affairs are never exposed to temptation.

I remember years ago when I had a paid political position for the Carter campaign and spoke at some events. More than once, an attractive young woman came on to me. I think that's a sensation that the middle- and old-age crowd who judge the behavior of others basically never experiences. Having an affair is a bad thing, but it's between the Congressperson and his family. The rest of us are not qualified to judge him.
  5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly. Just imagine if JFK lived and ruled during this media-driven culture.
    That said I think conservatives set themselves up for a public lashing because of their platform of family values. Overall, tho having affairs is wrong it shouldn't necessarily bring an end to someone's career not to mention embarrassing the families involved. OTOH anyone in public life who chooses to go down that road should know full well by now what's likely to happen because of it. It's a risk they apparently choose to take. Consequences do come true.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Another incumbent who will be replaced by new blood. Nice!

I've always maintained that incidents like these, are best left for the candidate, and his constituents to deal with (politically that is). Ultimately the person in question doesn't represent me, so it's up to those who he does represent, to dictate the course of action he should take.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

When you run partially on 'family values' you are being held to a higher standard.

That said if someone is lying to their family they will have no problem lying to and hosing their constituents....
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh my gosh....this dude is UGLY.

Note to all the homly peeps, the busted, the Fugly...Cant get some? get elected.

http://aloyalopposition.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/mark-souder-bludgeon3.jpg

I need to see what this girl looks like, we need some investigative reporting here Patsfans!

On the real, when I first read that a representative had an affair and was resigning, I first said to myself, "He is a democrat...republicans stay in office."

So its nice to see that at least this guy is man enough to resign, after pulling such a dikhed move.

Mark Souder, move along...nobody cares about you anymore...good luck getting some action now.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +238 / 8 / -26

Will be interesting to see the age of the intern, Souder is 60 years old.. been married since 1974...
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh snap....age and SEX of the staffer...

UPDATE: the staffer is a female
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

ROFLMAO Your wish is my command, Oh Holy Diver One!!!

Here she is - apparently he and she made a video for his web site and for YouTube - about abstinence only.

From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Video link here - Souder and staffer in 'abstinence only' video - Martin Kady II - POLITICO.com

Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.), who will resign from Congress as a result of an affair with a female staffer, filmed a video interview promoting abstinence only education with that same staffer.

In a statement announcing his resignation, Souder admitted the affair took place with a "part-time member of my staff." GOP sources identified the woman that Souder had the affair with as Tracy Meadows Jackson. Jackson has been a part-time employee on Souder's staff since Dec. 2004, according to House financial disbursement records. Jackson could not be reached for comment Tuesday morning.

Read more: Souder and staffer in 'abstinence only' video - Martin Kady II - POLITICO.com
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So where is all the self righteous indignation when I remarked on the physical attractiveness (or lack thereof) of the recent USSC nominee? :confused: :confused:

Here's the difference between Conservative and Liberals. When something like this happens to a Republican, Conservatives are usually glad to see him go. But when something like this happens to a Democrat (say, the President gets caught having an affair with a Lewinsky, or a Senator kills someone in a drunk driving accident, or a Representative gets caught running a gay brothel from his DC apartment, or a Representative gets caught having an affair with an underage male staffer), Liberals will defend (and re-elect) the guy to their dying day.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Let's face it, we all want to minimize in order to lessen the impact on our politics whether we are willing to admit it or not. The major difference I see is that genrally liberals aren't as preachy as conservatives so they think they get a pass when their behavior is the same or worse than conservatives.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yeah, yeah...how's that working out for Mark Sandford? How'd it work out for Ken Calvert? Helen Chenoweth-Hage? Newt Gingrich? Jeff Miller?

Oh wait....differently, I believe. I believe they all not only finished out their terms after various wrong doings came to light but most went on to run (and win) again.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, but that's not true. Liberals are just as preachy as Conservatives if not moreso - only they are "preachy" on different topics.

Nobody is more preachy than Al Gore when it comes to talking about the environment. And he could be the biggest hypocrite on the planet in that regard. But the left still worships him.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well, you got me on the green chicken, Al Gore, but I think sexual and family morality is way more preached about by conservatives.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mark Sanford went from being a leading candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination to announcing he wouldn't even run for re-election for governor (I don't know where you are getting your information that he went on to run and win again after his scandal). So that's a great example to support my point.

As for those other examples, you're going to have to be more specific regarding what exactly they did instead of just throwing random names out there.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think sexual and family morality is preached about an awful lot by Conservative commentators, but I don't think it is mentioned or preached about by Republican politicians anywhere near as much as is portrayed.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

OMG!!!!

she is WAY out of his league...although most on the planet are out of his league.

Again, makes my point. If you are FUGLY, busted, gross, garbage juice, or just plain repulsive and you want to get laid....gather up some duckets and corporate financing and run for congress...
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Don't hold your breathe bud.