PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analyzing the Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yankees/Colts said:
Yeah, if the RB breaks 6 tackles after the dink and dunk.

Wonder how Manning would look throwing to Reche Caldwell and Bam Childress rather then Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

He would probably suck and then throw them under the bas in the traditional Peyton Manning form!

Last edited:
Yankees/Colts said:
Yeah, if the RB breaks 6 tackles after the dink and dunk.

And Brady lead the league in passing yards last season. The Dink and dunk has mainly been because Brady never had the luxury of a running game except for one season. Something Manning has had his entire career!

As we all know preseason is meaningless. :)

Having said that, the colts running game doesn't seem that good. Who knows, it may take off once the season starts. Rhodes is a good RB, but can he carry the load all season?

If the running game does falter, I believe BB will have a field day with manning. Yes, manning will still be putting up awesome numbers, but I have faith BB will have the Pats ready to beat them.

If there is one team I believe will give us a hard team it is denver. I obviously believe we will win, but it will be very hard IMO.

Yankees/Colts said:
What's changed?

You are quickly crossing that invisible line into the land of 'uninformed other-team homer that does no homework of his own and possesses zero objectivity'. Sad.

What is changed is Randall Gay is healthy, Rodney Harrison is back up on two legs, Tedy Bruschi is going to be back out there for the regular season, Richard Seymour is healthy, and all of those young green members of the secondary now have a year of game testing to go forward on. Guys like James Sanders, Ellis Hobbs, and Gus Scott all have been through the fire as starters and will be able to contribute better in more limited roles because of it.

Your team is going to do well in this regular season, there's no reason to think that the Colts won't do well RB or no RB. You have one of the greatest regular season QBs in the history of the game. But this preseason smack talk with no basis in reality is silly and redundant.

The Patriots have overcome plenty in the past six years since Brady was drafted. For Colts fans to act as though they have the right to jibe our team and our QB when they themselves didn't even make the SB last season is insane.

You guys missed out last year. You had a -clear road- to the SB without the Patriots in the way during the playoffs. You had a Steelers team coming into Indy after two previous Playoff games on the road. You had a gift fumble by Bettis that should have easily won you the game. Harper has a bevy of blockers around him, but still somehow manages to run into the ONLY player that could stop him before the endzone! Then Manning guns for the EZ over and over to no avail and that's your season. 13-0 direct to Playoff Chokesville. Congrats. Now get over yourself.

We Patsfans understand that last season the Colts beat the Patriots in the regular season. Hang that trophy on your mantel if that's all that matters to you. But from our perspective (you know, the 3 out of 4 Superbowl wins thing) it matters who wins the big dance. And that was the Steelers, not the Colts.

The fact that you feel entitled to gloat after one -regular season- win over the Pats in the past -six years- just shows how desperate you are to have something REAL to be proud of. It's pathetic, I pity you as a fan of football.

Last edited:
I couldn't help myself.

Just for some perspective here:

Let's go back to the year 2000.

2000:
Peyton Manning is in his third year and has still won nothing of importance. Brady is drafted in the 6th round (199th) and sits for the season.

Sun 10/8/2000 1:00 PM vs Colts CBS 24-16 W
Sun 10/22/2000 1:00 PM @ Colts CBS 30-23 L

1-1 during the "Brady Era" albeit before the man had taken a snap.

2001:
Peyton is in his fourth year. Brady becomes the starter of the Patriots after Bledsoe goes down in Week 2.

Sun 9/30/2001 1:00 PM vs Colts CBS 44-13 W (Brady's first start)
Sun 10/21/2001 1:00 PM @ Colts CBS 38-17 W

3-1 during the "Brady Era", with Brady himself being 2-0. We of course went on to win the Superbowl that season. (Brady Lombardis - 1, Peyton - 0)

2002:
Peyton in his 5th season, Brady enters his second as a starting QB.

The Patriots and Colts did not play. The Patriots miss the playoffs on a tiebreaker after an up and down 9-7 season. Manning leads the Colts to a 10-6 season, but then loses 41-0 to the Jets in the first round. (Brady Lombardis - 1, Peyton - 0)

2003:
Peyton in his sixth, Brady's third as a starter. Manning is the NFL Co-MVP with Steve McNair.

Sun 11/30/2003 1:00 PM @ Colts CBS 38-34 W

4-1 during the regular season of the "Brady Era", with Brady himself being 3-0.

Sun 1/18/2004 3:00 PM vs Colts CBS 24-14 W

The first playoff matchup between the Brady led Patriots and Peyton led Colts goes to Tom Brady. The Patriots go on to win the Superbowl after defeating both Co-MVPs in back to back playoff games. 5-1 (combined) Brady Era, 4-0 (combined) with Tom Brady as the QB. (Brady Lombardis - 2, Peyton - 0)

2004:
Peyton in his seventh, Brady's fourth as a starter. Manning has one of the best regular seasons in NFL history, setting the record for TDs at 49. He's named NFL MVP with 49 of 50 votes.

Thu 9/9/2004 9:00 PM vs Colts ABC 27-24 W

5-1 during the regular season of the "Brady Era", with Brady himself being 4-0.

Sun 1/16/2005 4:30 PM vs Colts 20-3 W

The second playoff matchup between the Brady led Patriots and Peyton led Colts also goes to Tom Brady. The Patriots again go on to win the Superbowl. 7-1 (combined) Brady Era, 6-0 (combined) with Tom Brady as the QB. (Brady Lombardis - 3, Peyton - 0)

2005:
Peyton in his eighth, Brady's fifth as a starter.

Mon 11/7/2005 9:00 PM vs Colts ABC 40-21 L

Manning leads the Colts to the first regular season win over the Patriots since 2000. Manning does not face the Patriots in the playoffs, but loses in the AFC Championship game to the eventual SB Champion Steelers.

5-2 during the regular season of the "Brady Era", with Brady himself being 4-1. 7-2 (combined) Brady Era, 6-1 (combined) with Tom Brady as the QB. (Brady Lombardis - 3, Peyton - 0)

If that history doesn't speak for itself, nothing will. Feel proud about your 2005 regular season win because you're right, Brady being 6-1 against the Colts does look better to a Colts fan than him being 7-0.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
You are quickly crossing that invisible line into the land of 'uninformed other-team homer that does no homework of his own and possesses zero objectivity'. Sad.

What is changed is Randall Gay is healthy, Rodney Harrison is back up on two legs, Tedy Bruschi is going to be back out there for the regular season, Richard Seymour is healthy, and all of those young green members of the secondary now have a year of game testing to go forward on. Guys like James Sanders, Ellis Hobbs, and Gus Scott all have been through the fire as starters and will be able to contribute better in more limited roles because of it.

Your team is going to do well in this regular season, there's no reason to think that the Colts won't do well RB or no RB. You have one of the greatest regular season QBs in the history of the game. But this preseason smack talk with no basis in reality is silly and redundant.

The Patriots have overcome plenty in the past six years since Brady was drafted. For Colts fans to act as though they have the right to jibe our team and our QB when they themselves didn't even make the SB last season is insane.

You guys missed out last year. You had a -clear road- to the SB without the Patriots in the way during the playoffs. You had a Steelers team coming into Indy after two previous Playoff games on the road. You had a gift fumble by Bettis that should have easily won you the game. Harper has a bevy of blockers around him, but still somehow manages to run into the ONLY player that could stop him before the endzone! Then Manning guns for the EZ over and over to no avail and that's your season. 13-0 direct to Playoff Chokesville. Congrats. Now get over yourself.

We Patsfans understand that last season the Colts beat the Patriots in the regular season. Hang that trophy on your mantel if that's all that matters to you. But from our perspective (you know, the 3 out of 4 Superbowl wins thing) it matters who wins the big dance. And that was the Steelers, not the Colts.

The fact that you feel entitled to gloat after one -regular season- win over the Pats in the past -six years- just shows how desperate you are to have something REAL to be proud of. It's pathetic, I pity you as a fan of football.

Well said BF80!
Doing some housecleaning here and since this Yankee/Colts is no Ryan the Colts fan, and brings nothing of substance to the discussion, he's now relegated to my "ignore list". Hopefully not many will feel the need to "quote" him!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
PatsChick87 said:
Well said BF80!
Doing some housecleaning here and since this Yankee/Colts is no Ryan the Colts fan, and brings nothing of substance to the discussion, he's now relegated to my "ignore list". Hopefully not many will feel the need to "quote" him!:rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe the ignore button was a better choice than my two long winded replies. Alot of wasted time and effort there I guess. haha.

arrellbee said:
The reason doesn't matter when you lose. You don't get partial credit or credit for an outstanding performance except for that reason. There is no stat column for 'would have won except for ...'

You are wrong!!! They do get credit!!!

AFC FINALIST

:p

In addition to Edge, the Colts lost a starting DT and a starting OLB in FA. How did both squads look?

What about Manning's interior pass protection? I know they are very unhappy with their no-name Guard play; never mind that Manning threw them under the bus after their playoff loss, using the excuse of "having protection problems"...

That lack of Guard play would show up in the RB output. Were they running outside and how did Addai and company do on inside rushes?

Ah, so cute, trolling based on one regular season game.

Someday, maybe he'll be able to mention a playoff success or something.

Yankees/Colts said:
You did choke against Denver - your nemesis.

Who are you kidding?

Brady choked and handed them the game on a silver platter.

How many other turnovers did you have? That was the dictionary definition of a choke. It wasn't simply a hard fought game you happened to come up short in. You gave the game away.
At least when the pats go 14-2 they go to the superbowl and win it all can you say the same of the colts:woohoo: :rofl: :D

Brownfan80 said:
Hmm, maybe the ignore button was a better choice than my two long winded replies. Alot of wasted time and effort there I guess. haha.
Yeah, but you did such a great job! Now that you've gotten it off your chest, please join me in the fast-growing "ignore Yankees/Colts club". :D

Slagathor said:
Maroney hits the hole like a freight train.

Addai hits it like a shopping cart on a windy day.

Ha ha ha.......great quote.....and exactly how I feel. I work with a guy from Louisiana that is a big LSU fan and he was trying to spin on how "good" Addai looked last night....and I said....He and Maroney are apples and oranges as far as I can tell to this point.....Addai is very indecisive, slow to pick the holes, has happy feet frequently and does not seem to have that second gear......Maroney has incredible instincts......makes quick decisions.....hits the hole like a friggin laser......and has that extra gear, turbo burst that so very few RB's are gifted with......plus he can knock guys a few feet back with the power.....this guy has the potential to be one of the great one's in the league.....while Addai is a pretty average RB....one man's opinion

arrellbee said:
You know, it's interesting. I was going to post a thread about Addai and then found this one and so many folks who have impression about him.

My impression was that he was SLOW getting started and to the line. Impressions at this stage probably don't mean a heck of a lot. But if I were a Colts fan, I think I would be getting nervous. His reputation for being able to run sweeps may not translate at all in the NFL. He got at least a couple when I was watching, but again - they looked SLOW and may have only picked up yardage because Seattle was rotten on outside containment and coverage. As was mentioned, he had a try at a 3rd and 1 and didn't make it. Then he had a 4th and inches and didn't make that. He has a real hesitation about hitting a packed line. Presumably he can be coached out of that ?? ?? And he doesn't look like a guy who handles contact very well.

If they didn't feel that Rhodes was able to carry James load, then this may spell a lot of trouble for the Colts. Boy is this going to be interesting. If my impression is correct, teams are going to be able to put blitz and LB pressure on Manning and still be able to pick up Addai at the same time. Oh my.

"they looked SLOW and may have only picked up yardage because Seattle was rotten on outside containment and coverage."

This is a great observation........I chalk Addai's brief success running last night to a very sloppy, poor execution, horror show by Seattle's 2nd and 3rd stringers......they just let him go.....I will give Addai plenty of looks during the regular season....against some tough #1 defenses........but like someone said if I were the dolt fans I would be a little nervous....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back