PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analysis of Shaun Ellis Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Ellis is D-O-N-E done... OR..all the media puking and blabbering and blithering and fawning, obsequious colon cleansing of Wrecks DeGenerateryan and self proclaimed "genius" Mike Tannenturd is completely erroneous, idiotic,inane big market prostration by morons who shouldn't even be writing up to go orders at Buford's Choke and Puke in Bayonne.

What I'm saying is...read that article...read it again...only an IDIOT let's an Ellis go with anything left in his tank. Only a self aggrandizing,warped, degenerate media whore does NOTHING to stop it.

Last edited:
the only analysis I want to know is if he's better than Ty Warren. Certainly cheaper but basically it seems like we traded Ty for Shaun.

the only analysis I want to know is if he's better than Ty Warren. Certainly cheaper but basically it seems like we traded Ty for Shaun.
Different players. Ty's a clogging run stuffer, Ellis is a pass rusher.

Ellis is more versatile the Warren...

He's not cheaper. He's less expensive. Cheap refers to quality. Inexpensive refers to price. Just saying. :rolleyes:

And as above, he's a solid pass-rusher, and this signing is going to make 2 games this season a LOT more interesting. :D

Ellis is more versatile the Warren...

Agreed. I liked Warren a lot, but this signing makes a ton of sense, especially at the hinted price of less than $1 Million. He'll be motivated, especially after hearing Ryan's comments about him, and he's going to love playing on this D-line.

I'm trying to decide if I have the time to troll the JETS boards for their reaction to this signing. Ya gotta know that tomorrow's talk radio down there is gonna be interesting.

Last edited:

If Ellis is a pass rusher then I didn't get this signing cuz the jest had no pass rush at all last season. Would rather have a run suffer than a existent pass rusher... Maybe bb saw something left and he's not gonna just be for depth.

Last edited:
Either Ellis is D-O-N-E done... OR..all the media puking and blabbering and blithering and fawning, obsequious colon cleansing of Wrecks DeGenerateryan and self proclaimed "genius" Mike Tannenturd is completely erroneous, idiotic,inane big market prostration by morons who shouldn't even be writing up to go orders at Buford's Choke and Puke in Bayonne.

What I'm saying is...read that article...read it again...only an IDIOT let's an Ellis go with anything left in his tank. Only a self aggrandizing,warped, degenerate media whore does NOTHING to stop it.

Don't beat around the bush,joker....What do you really think of the jets*?

Ellis is a very similar player to Ty Warren -- a big run-stuffing 3-4 DE, but Ellis also has some pass rushing ability. He's a stout guy like Ty, just a bit different playing style. He's definitely more versatile.

Hopefully he has a dislike having to play of Sanchez's team and will eat him alive this year.

Agreed. I liked Warren a lot, but this signing makes a ton of sense, especially at the hinted price of less than $1 Million. He'll be motivated, especially after hearing Ryan's comments about him, and he's going to love playing on this D-line.

I'm trying to decide if I have the time to troll the JETS boards for their reaction to this signing. Ya gotta know that tomorrow's talk radio down there is gonna be interesting.

The majority consensus on the Jet boards is that A. They want Ellis dead and B. He is washed up anyway. In short, they are furious!

The majority consensus on the Jet boards is that A. They want Ellis dead and B. He is washed up anyway. In short, they are furious!

Forgot to add C which includes such lovely homophobic words being used to describe him.

Warren, pre-surgery, was a much better player than Ellis. Whether it was something the Patriots saw post-return, or it was about personality issues, or it really was about the personnel shift (stupid move, IMO, if that's the reason) is something we likely won't know for sure unless Holley writes another inside access kind of book.

this is the best part about the signing.

Warren, pre-surgery, was a much better player than Ellis.

Maybe I don't scout games as closely as some, but that's kind of hard to prove in any quantifiable way. I'd certainly agree that at his peak, Warren was likely better than Ellis is now. But Warren's peak was a long time ago. Ellis certainly was and is a superior pass rusher. Even Ellis' total of 4.5 sacks last season was better than all but one of Warren's seasons. Ellis also has a high of 12.5 sacks vs Warren's 7.5, and more than triple the career sacks with only three more seasons in the league.

Interestingly, the Jets run defenses have been consistently superior to our own for the duration of Warren's career as a starter, at least as far as YPA is concerned (2006 being a notable exception). Since Warren benefited from Wilfork and Seymour beside him, and we know those dudes weren't the weak the link, could an argument be made that Ellis was likely the superior run stuffer as well? Of course, the Jets haven't exactly been playing from ahead as much as we have the past decade. I would imagine run stopping suffers a tad in prevent defenses.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't scout games as closely as some, but that's kind of hard to prove in any quantifiable way. I'd certainly agree that at his peak, Warren was likely better than Ellis is now. But Warren's peak was a long time ago. Ellis certainly was and is a superior pass rusher. Even Ellis' total of 4.5 sacks last season was better than all but one of Warren's seasons. Ellis also has a high of 12.5 sacks vs Warren's 7.5, and more than triple the career sacks with only three more seasons in the league.

Interestingly, the Jets run defenses have been consistently superior to our own for the duration of Warren's career as a starter, at least as far as YPA is concerned (2006 being a notable exception). Since Warren benefited from Wilfork and Seymour beside him, and we know those dudes weren't the weak the link, could an argument be made that Ellis was likely the superior run stuffer as well? Of course, the Jets haven't exactly been playing from ahead as much as we have the past decade. I would imagine run stopping suffers a tad in prevent defenses.

You've got to be freakin' kidding me with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes