Welcome to PatsFans.com

Analysis of Shaun Ellis Signing

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Analysis of Shaun Ellis Signing
    By: Derek Havens

Former Jets defensive end, Shaun Ellis, signed a one-year contract with the Patriots on Sunday morning. ...

2. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

Either Ellis is D-O-N-E done... OR..all the media puking and blabbering and blithering and fawning, obsequious colon cleansing of Wrecks DeGenerateryan and self proclaimed "genius" Mike Tannenturd is completely erroneous, idiotic,inane big market prostration by morons who shouldn't even be writing up to go orders at Buford's Choke and Puke in Bayonne.

What I'm saying is...read that article...read it again...only an IDIOT let's an Ellis go with anything left in his tank. Only a self aggrandizing,warped, degenerate media whore does NOTHING to stop it.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. dex13

dex13 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

the only analysis I want to know is if he's better than Ty Warren. Certainly cheaper but basically it seems like we traded Ty for Shaun.
  4. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Different players. Ty's a clogging run stuffer, Ellis is a pass rusher.
  5. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 2 / -1

My Jersey:

Ellis is more versatile the Warren...
  6. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood
    He's not cheaper. He's less expensive. Cheap refers to quality. Inexpensive refers to price. Just saying. :rolleyes:

And as above, he's a solid pass-rusher, and this signing is going to make 2 games this season a LOT more interesting. :D
  7. Gwedd

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood
    Agreed. I liked Warren a lot, but this signing makes a ton of sense, especially at the hinted price of less than $1 Million. He'll be motivated, especially after hearing Ryan's comments about him, and he's going to love playing on this D-line.

I'm trying to decide if I have the time to troll the JETS boards for their reaction to this signing. Ya gotta know that tomorrow's talk radio down there is gonna be interesting.
  8. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    If Ellis is a pass rusher then I didn't get this signing cuz the jest had no pass rush at all last season. Would rather have a run suffer than a existent pass rusher... Maybe bb saw something left and he's not gonna just be for depth.
  9. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Don't beat around the bush,joker....What do you really think of the jets*?
  10. Gwedd

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood
    I think he summed up things right nicely.
  11. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Mr T summed it up the best. "Pain"
  12. TheComeback

TheComeback Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ellis is a very similar player to Ty Warren -- a big run-stuffing 3-4 DE, but Ellis also has some pass rushing ability. He's a stout guy like Ty, just a bit different playing style. He's definitely more versatile.
  13. dex13

dex13 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

very true. :p
  14. warx

warx Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hopefully he has a dislike having to play of Sanchez's team and will eat him alive this year.
  15. NEfreak

NEfreak Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The majority consensus on the Jet boards is that A. They want Ellis dead and B. He is washed up anyway. In short, they are furious!
  16. NinjaZX6R

NinjaZX6R Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Forgot to add C which includes such lovely homophobic words being used to describe him.
  17. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

Warren, pre-surgery, was a much better player than Ellis. Whether it was something the Patriots saw post-return, or it was about personality issues, or it really was about the personnel shift (stupid move, IMO, if that's the reason) is something we likely won't know for sure unless Holley writes another inside access kind of book.
  18. dex13

dex13 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

this is the best part about the signing.
  19. HomerSchooled

HomerSchooled Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe I don't scout games as closely as some, but that's kind of hard to prove in any quantifiable way. I'd certainly agree that at his peak, Warren was likely better than Ellis is now. But Warren's peak was a long time ago. Ellis certainly was and is a superior pass rusher. Even Ellis' total of 4.5 sacks last season was better than all but one of Warren's seasons. Ellis also has a high of 12.5 sacks vs Warren's 7.5, and more than triple the career sacks with only three more seasons in the league.

Interestingly, the Jets run defenses have been consistently superior to our own for the duration of Warren's career as a starter, at least as far as YPA is concerned (2006 being a notable exception). Since Warren benefited from Wilfork and Seymour beside him, and we know those dudes weren't the weak the link, could an argument be made that Ellis was likely the superior run stuffer as well? Of course, the Jets haven't exactly been playing from ahead as much as we have the past decade. I would imagine run stopping suffers a tad in prevent defenses.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

You've got to be freakin' kidding me with this.
  21. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

is Shaun Ellis better then Ty Warren IMO no not at this point in he's career he's 4 years older i think think he's noting more then dept if he makes the team but he can play 4-3 DE Ty Warren would be a DT in a 4-3 and he's not going to be better then Wilfork or Haynesworth,

for me the big story is are the young guys just not showing a nuff in TC that they are bring in washed up guys like Andre Carter and Ellis ?
  22. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    With all respect pf1982, I think that every years' team is different in many ways. We have seen the other recent SB teams use veteran presence here, particularly on the D-line.

I think we all wanted some decent signings for depth, experience, and added competition; and that's exactly what we got. The additions to the defensive line are well noted--and I don't believe (or worry) that they're "washed up guys," as you say. Unless you think that they're here for the future of the team, why would it matter if they only have a couple yrs left?? They are here to help IMMEDIATELY---and that's exactly what everyone wanted!! How many times have we all heard the tired old theory of the closing window on Brady's career, and that we need to do something to win NOW??

In this modern era of free agency and especially this yr, where we had a decreased salary cap and almost no off-season activities, the smarter teams will have to be creative in their team moves regarding personnel. That's what these signings give us..vet presence and depth in an area where we certainly needed it most last January--at a very reasonable and lower cost.

It's almost brilliant if you ask me, but of course that's just my opinion. The bottom line is that they certainly can't hurt the team, that's for sure. The defense may have been too young and green still, and this gives them the youth for the future still, while creating balance and experience for right now.
  23. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Watching the rebuilding of the D this season reminds me of the line...

"Rise up...Rise up again until Lambs become Lions"

This defense looks like it will become ferocious this coming season.....:rocker:
  24. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Patriots won their first Superbowl with a washed up starting middle linebacker named Brian Cox, who was also a wily veteran who came from the Jets.

'Washed up' is a subjective term that can quickly change based on a player's environment and surroundings. Remember what Belichick did with Cox, Otis Smith, Ted Washington, Corey Dillon, and Randy Moss
  25. HomerSchooled

HomerSchooled Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not really kidding, but not really insisting anything, either. Just throwing some stuff out there. Trying to gather some more intel.
  26. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If Haynesworth comes to play, it's a whole new (one might say unprescendented) game. Haynesworth and Wilfork demanding double teams means guys are either one on one or the opponents keep two or three guys in.

The point about pass rushers is pressure and players who can get coverage sacks. For all the love Matthews gets, people don't seem to acknowledge he gets coverage sacks.

Premier secondary.

Four lineman who can pressure.

Guys who can bring the house.

Everyone should be joyful nobody can figure out if we are 3-4 or 4-3. I hope this holds true in January.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  27. PushnPencils

PushnPencils Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Agreed. Cox's attitude was a huge catalyst in creating the team's persona and attitude. Lunch pail guys that played hard, tough, never gave up and were never intimidated by anyone.

That attitude has been lacking lately to some degree.
  28. Mark Morse

Mark Morse PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#15 Jersey
    This is the way the old Redskins use to do it when Joe Gibbs was managing the team. They would trade draft picks for aging veterans, plug them in and just keep plugging along. What terrific flexibility the Patriots defense will have. With Wilfork and Haynesworth pushing the pocket, whoever the DE's are will have a field day. Experience and depth.

This is a brilliant strategy considering that 2nd year players (Cunningham) will not get the big boost from year 1 to year 2 because of the lockout. Additionally, what rookie is going to immediately help out their team (for the same reason ... lockout).
  29. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I wish that was true.

$4M, for 1 season? You gotta be kidding me, Bill. Whom the hell were you competing against?
  30. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Two other teams, reportedly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.