PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analysis of "pipeline" picks - Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're reaching here in some cases that player A was drafted largely because coach A, who is Belichick's friend, played against him.

Understood completely.

You're not wrong.

My point was that if you have that list of five or six coaches, times 10-13 games played, times 3-5 years, you could probably cover about two-thirds of the D1 eligibles. I think we're reaching here in some cases that player A was drafted largely because coach A, who is Belichick's friend, played against him.

No. You are reaching because you didn't read everything that was said. All that was said is that BB and his staff rely on the pipeline for information. It was not inferred that any player was drafted because a coach who happens to be a friend of Belichick weighed in on him.

What can be inferred is that over half the players probably had someone in the pipeline give information on him.

dryheat44 said:
This exercise also assumes that we wouldn't have drafted Mayo or Wilhite if they didn't play against Saban-coached teams, and that Saban convinced BB he should draft them. I don't think we can say that.

Where the hell did you pull that from? No one implied any such thing. In fact, what was implied is two coaches in the Belichick pipeline possibly could have commented on them and that probably helped in their selection. Nothing more definitive than that was proposed.

Last edited:
extra information about a potential prospect be it opponent or not is useful.....

but then again, favors are always done.......anyone remember the celts drafting kedrick brown? did he ever even play?

Where the hell did you pull that from? No one implied any such thing. In fact, what was implied is two coaches in the Belichick pipeline possibly could have commented on them and that probably helped in their selection. Nothing more definitive than that was proposed.

Well, if this analysis is merely to be thought-provoking, then no problem.

If it's supposed to be considered as an indicator of which programs we should focus on as draft day approaches, I think we have some corrupted data points.

I also don't think the fact that Belichick receives information from NCAA coaches makes him any different than the other 31 NFL head coaches. Every coach has a network of other coaches he has worked with over the course of his coaching career, and I don't believe that it never occurred to another coach to ask one his thoughts about a prospect he may have come in contact with.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back