PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analysis of OT's as they fit in the Pats scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
BB generally prefers his tackles to be athletic (not fat and/or slobby), nasty disposition, strong as far as functional strength goes, technically sound, knee benders, decent quickness, very nasty and fairly mobile.

1.) J Long - Technically above average, good explosion at the snap, strong hands, excellent at sinking his hips. Not the best in space. Patriots fit = 4.5 out of 5.

2.) Clady - Above average as a pass blocker. Drive blocking is below average. Knee Bender. Athletic and mobile. Lacks nastiness. Patriots fit = 4.0 out of 5.

3.) C Williams - Showed ability to develop into a road grader last season. Strong hands, quick, sets up fast in pass protection. Long arms make it tough to get around him. Not the best at pulling or trapping. Patriots fit 4 out of 5.

4.) S Baker - Very powerful, some quickness and some explosiveness. Gets lazy and starts waist bending and loses leverage. Patriots fit 3.5 out of 5.

5.) Otah - Technique is very raw. Lacks lateral movement. Very strong. Very powerful. Not very quick footed and not very explosive. At 340 lbs. he is 20 pounds or so too heavy to endure a 60 minute game in the NFL. Patriot fit3 out of 5.

6.) A Collins - Nasty! Nasty! Nasty! Strong but not the most explosive. Technique is decent. Sinks hips well, good balance. Lacks lateral movement ability. Best at right OT. Patriot fit 4 out of 5.

Outside of J Long, I do not see any of the others as worth the #7 pick. I really like Williams as an option if the Pats drop down to the middle of the first round and decide to go OT instead of speed pass rusher.

I love these write-ups! I especially like Collins as an option at #62.

Last edited:
I love Collins nastiness. He can drive block and pass protect. He may not be nasty like Mankins, but he is still really nasty as a player. If we could get him at #62, we could move him to OG (ala Mankins) since I doubt Neal will be able to start the season healthy.
At OG, Collins lack of lateral movement would be much less exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back