PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An utterly amazing statistic: 35 first downs, and 68 in back to back games

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think I've seen this married up often with a team that goes no huddle all game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Only example that comes to mind is the Bills under Marv Levy with Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. They would go no huddle all game, and on occasion they would catch the D with a small nickle/dime look and run & run with Thomas.

You need a really versatile / flexible group of offensive players to pull it off, first getting the defense to sell out on the pass while you have a very run-capable unit on the field, and then to keep it that way by not allowing substitution.

Only example that comes to mind is the Bills under Marv Levy with Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. They would go no huddle all game, and on occasion they would catch the D with a small nickle/dime look and run & run with Thomas.

You need a really versatile / flexible group of offensive players to pull it off, first getting the defense to sell out on the pass while you have a very run-capable unit on the field, and then to keep it that way by not allowing substitution.

Cool - I wonder if any coaches are looking at their defense and saying that if Ridley runs for more than 100 yards, the Patriots wont win.

They'd probably have to add the caveat that Welker won't have >10 catches and the running game won't be >200 yards... I guess that de-simplifies the beauty of the original statement ;)

If I'm not mistaken I believe it is also the first time in NFL history a team has gotten 35+ first down against the broncos at home on October 7th.

Honestly though pretty impressive, do they hire guys that just dig for odd stats and stuff?

I am sort of surprised a team can have that many first downs and score "only" 31 points.

I guess part of that was going from one yard line to the other one yard line and only getting 3 points. I suppose, because they got knocked back after getting to the one yard line, it officially goes down as a 95 yard field goal drive. Still that's hard to do.

We really didn't have many deep plays (run or pass). Most of the first downs were less than 15 yards.

Interesting nugget hidden in the Pats' current style:

What's usually the tempo of a team with a strong running game and a lot of first downs?

I think it's usually down-tempo.

I don't think I've seen this married up often with a team that goes no huddle all game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It definitely puts a twist on things... you can take 12 minutes off the clock in a drive with a top-tier running game... or you can run it full throttle along w/everybody else in the no-huddle, with the next play coming to quick to allow substitutions.

Gives Bill a lil' flexibility. Hey any of you guys know if Bill likes flexibility? :D

I, also, found it amazing how fast the managed the no-huddle and got to the line and began the play. I have seen them, as well as other teams, use the no huddle but I just cant recall it ever being accomplished in such a fast manner. They must have spent the entire week working on it.

I hope they continue doing the same thing at Seattle.

With, of course, some minor tweaking such as adding a new play, or two and making minor adjustments in those that did not work well. But stay in the "Lightning Speed" No huddle offense.

Last edited:
The Patriots have more first downs in the last two games than the Jets have all season at this point.

Great find!

Some points of note:

1. I looked back at 2009, expecting to see us ranked poorly that year. I was shocked to see Pats at #1 that year! It felt like we used to struggle to keep drives going that year.

2. We were #1 in 2007 (not surprising), but also in 2008. :eek:

3. It's early in the season so our current average of 30.2 first downs per game will probably decrease somewhat. However, comparing with other teams at the same point in the season this year, at #2 is Detroit who has 4.7 fewer first downs per game (followed by SF who have 6.2 fewer). Compare that to 0.9, which is the average difference between the leader and #2 in the years since 2003.

Meaning our first down numbers this year really are very impressive! That's what you get when you add a commanding running game to an already dominant passing offense :cool:

Great find!

Some points of note:

1. I looked back at 2009, expecting to see us ranked poorly that year. I was shocked to see Pats at #1 that year! It felt like we used to struggle to keep drives going that year.

2. We were #1 in 2007 (not surprising), but also in 2008. :eek:

Don't forget, though, that in 2008 the Pats had the most productive rushing attack they'd had in 25 years.

And that's good for a patriots...FIRST DOWN

I swear they said that the 30+ first downs 3 games in a row was an NFL record during the TV broadcast.

I can back you up. You're recollection is accurate.

I am sort of surprised a team can have that many first downs and score "only" 31 points.

I guess part of that was going from one yard line to the other one yard line and only getting 3 points. I suppose, because they got knocked back after getting to the one yard line, it officially goes down as a 95 yard field goal drive. Still that's hard to do.

I think the first downs don't necessarily speak to how many points you should have (though there is a positive correlation) but more to how long each drive was.

The old pass-happy Patriots would score just as many points but with a solid passing game making big plays there wasn't a need for as many first downs prior to scoring.

Don't forget, though, that in 2008 the Pats had the most productive rushing attack they'd had in 25 years.

Dang. Rushing stats from that year are unbelievable:

2008:
Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Sammy Morris 156 727 4.7 35 7
Kevin Faulk 83 507 6.1 41 3
LaMont Jordan 80 363 4.5 49 4
BJ Green-Ellis 74 275 3.7 15 5
Matt Cassel 73 270 3.7 19 2
Laurence Maroney 28 93 3.3 17 0

Also, we scored the same number of rushing TD's as passing TD's (21) that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back