PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An utterly amazing statistic: 35 first downs, and 68 in back to back games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred

Banned
Reaction score
....HAS THIS FLOWN UNDER THE RADAR?...
I dont know what the average number for team first downs in an NFL game, but my guess that the "average" would come in at UNDER 20.

Today the Pats had 35, but that is not ALL that, IMO, is amazing.

Last week they had 33 for a two game total of 68. Most teams dont get that amount in FOUR games.

Does anyone know if there is an NFL record kept for number of first downs in a two game period, back to back?

I was disappointed to see that Pro Football Reference doesn't let you search by number of first downs in a game. Otherwise I could probably figure it out.

Also worth noting is that Ridley leads the NFL in both first downs overall and in first downs where there was contact by a defender short of the first down.

Does anyone know if there is an NFL record kept for number of first downs in a two game period, back to back?

I swear they said that the 30+ first downs 3 games in a row was an NFL record during the TV broadcast.

I swear they said that the 30+ first downs 3 games in a row was an NFL record during the TV broadcast.

I can't remember exactly what was said but if it's not that it's very close.

The Pats threw up this stat line:

23:42 TOP, 62 plays, 28 1st downs, 31 points

Not a bad game, huh? Actually that was over a stretch of about 33 minutes starting in the middle of the 1st quarter. The Broncos over that same period?

9:28 TOP, 23 plays, 8 1st downs, 7 points

If you throw in the 2nd half of the Bills game, in about 60 minutes of play the Pats have run over 100 plays, converted 50 first downs and scored 76 points. While the defense and ST obviously mucked in over this period, that is just soul-crushing efficiency by the offense.

Last edited:

bowdown.gif

....HAS THIS FLOWN UNDER THE RADAR?...
I dont know what the average number for team first downs in an NFL game, but my guess that the "average" would come in at UNDER 20.

Today the Pats had 35, but that is not ALL that, IMO, is amazing.

Last week they had 33 for a two game total of 68. Most teams dont get that amount in FOUR games.

As a minor point, the median this year is about 20.5, so your initial guess wasn't too far off.

In any case, though, the Pats are averaging over 30 first downs per game.

By comparison, the 2007 Patriots were only averaging 24 first downs per game.

I bet DVOA will love the offense this week.

I am sort of surprised a team can have that many first downs and score "only" 31 points.

I guess part of that was going from one yard line to the other one yard line and only getting 3 points. I suppose, because they got knocked back after getting to the one yard line, it officially goes down as a 95 yard field goal drive. Still that's hard to do.

I'm thinking Bill passed out footballs after the game equipped with sensors that know if it's not being held by a human being, and told everybody on the offense they had to walk around with it & SLEEP with it 24/7 for a week. Or something.

I'm pretty certain your cmment is spot on. I heard the same thing.

Here's the official stat:
PATRIOTS ARE FIRST TEAM WITH THREE STRAIGHT GAMES WITH 30 OR MORE FIRST DOWNS SINCE THE 1970 MERGER
The Patriots are the first team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger to have recorded 30 or more first downs in three straight games. The Patriots set a franchise record today with 35 first downs, marking the team’s third straight game with 30 or more first downs. New England also broke the 30 first down mark with 33 at Baltimore (9/23) and 33 at Buffalo (9/30).
Game Notes: Patriots vs. Broncos

My guess is that it wasn't tracked before the merger, but I don't know exactly why they had to qualify it like that.

Is this just showing that our field position has sucked the past 3 games?

This is about time of possession, moving the chains and ball control...

Not a bad offensive game plan..

Interesting nugget hidden in the Pats' current style:

What's usually the tempo of a team with a strong running game and a lot of first downs?

I think it's usually down-tempo.

I don't think I've seen this married up often with a team that goes no huddle all game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It definitely puts a twist on things... you can take 12 minutes off the clock in a drive with a top-tier running game... or you can run it full throttle along w/everybody else in the no-huddle, with the next play coming to quick to allow substitutions.

Gives Bill a lil' flexibility. Hey any of you guys know if Bill likes flexibility? :D

Another stat that I found to be amazing (unrelated to OP)

Welker approaching a record
Wes Welker’s 13 catches gave him 15 games with at least 10 receptions in his career. That’s tied with Reggie Wayne for the third-most in NFL history. Jerry Rice (17) and Marvin Harrison (16) are the only two players with more.

Welker tied his career-best streak of 100-yard games with his third in a row.

How the Pats picked apart the Broncos - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

In 2007 Brady was dropping bombs to Moss what seemed like every other play.

Because the 2012 Patriots are emphasising the running game such a degree there is naturally going to be a more gradual progress down the field - and if done successfully then more first downs.

Brady also threw underneath alot yesterday - typified by Welkers YPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back