PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Unusual Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I was perusing the Patriot roster when I was struck by an odd fact that tends to coinfirm the saying that the Bellichick system requires smart football players.

In addition to players matriculating at the usual pro football sources, the Alabamas, Ohio State, USCs and Miamis, there were players from elsewhere.

As expected, places that have good reputation as institutes of higher learning,as well as football powers were represented, Like BC, Notre Dame, and Michgan.

But other less noted sources of football players were also represented.

Princeton, Berkley, Northwestern, Rice, William & Mary, Villanova and Virginia are more noted for their scholarship than their football prowess. Students from these colleges are more apt to be Rhodes scholars than Hesiman trophy awardees.

AzPatsFan said:
I was perusing the Patriot roster when I was struck by an odd fact that tends to coinfirm the saying that the Bellichick system requires smart football players.

In addition to players matriculating at the usual pro football sources, the Alabamas, Ohio State, USCs and Miamis, there were players from elsewhere.

As expected, places that have good reputation as institutes of higher learning,as well as football powers were represented, Like BC, Notre Dame, and Michgan.

But other less noted sources of football players were also represented.

Princeton, Berkley, Northwestern, Rice, William & Mary, Villanova and Virginia are more noted for their scholarship than their football prowess. Students from these colleges are more apt to be Rhodes scholars than Hesiman trophy awardees.

They did a chack last year and found out the team with the highest average Wonderlic score was the Rams...Apparantly Martz insists on it... perhaps now the lions will smarten up a bit...

Last edited:
Welker83 said:
They did a chack last year and found out the team with the highest average Wonderlic score was the Rams...Apparantly Martz insists on it... perhaps now the lions will smarten up a bit...

the fact that they didnt draft 6 WR's this year is an important to start with.

This could also signify that the Pats leave no stone unturned in their scouting process, and are willing to look further than the national 'scouting services' tend to look.

desi-patsfan said:
the fact that they didnt draft 6 WR's this year is an important to start with.

LMAO!! good one!

Good point. Even though the Pats do not subscribe to the scouting services, they still manage to cover all the bases and get a peek in every nook and cranny that might have a player.

With as much tape as he's reputed to have watched and with all the coaching contacts that he has at the college level, I'm thinking BB may very well be the most knowledgable college football authority in the country.
Okay so that may be a bit over the top, but I can't imagine him looking at all that tape and not knowing the college football scene better than some of the so called experts. Not only that, but he must be scouting ahead, on some unconscious level, as well to future drafts.

Belichick is right up there as a scout, for sure. And I think that he is better than Pioli in that capacity, but they make a good team.

I believe that some of the past drafts have suffered tremendously because Belichick has not had the time to be personally involved in the drafting process. He really seemed to go back to the grindstone this year, and I hope that his offense picks pan out as well as some of his defense picks have.

Don't forget that they have re-aquired an alumi from the great institution of sports braodcasting, eh, I mean higher education, Syracuse University!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes