PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Old Story For Italian Pat Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCal Patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In an attempt to lighten the mood a little as We wait for tomorrow,I thought that I'd share a story from The Shaeffer Stadium Days to cheer up the faithful.Our story takes Us back to the early 1970's and one of the first years at Shaeffer Stadium.In those days unless it was Oakland,Pittsburgh,Miami, or Dallas,the stadium was rarely filled.One sunny Sunday ,Sports Illustrated decided to shoot some photos to run with an article on Special Teams.They rolled in a large Cherry Picker Truck that has a bucket that can be raised and had planned on raising the bucket to shoot the Opening Kickoff.They rolled the truck over to The Patriots' Sideline which at the time was in front of the pressbox.The crowd was enraged !They started chanting" F**k The Truck,F**K The Truck" .At the same moment they started to hurl every kind of debris that they could find.Paper,cups,beer cans,bottles ,and everything but the kitchen sink.The truck didn't stay there long and when the truck moved the biggest roar of the day went up.Later ,Will MacDonough from The Boston Globe interviewed the guy who was up in the bucket.The Guy was quoted as saying "It wasn't too bad but I knew I was in trouble when the crowd began throwing full beers" Did the throwing of full beers ever happen?We'll never know but I think it might have , but it was just another wild day at the old ball yard!

I remember the truck game. Too far away to throw anything. I used to sit on the visitors side. There was an old guy (my age now) that used to stand up on the stadium wall in the first row and count out the score every time the Pats scored. I used to get up and count with him and my kids thought I was crazy. I loved high scoring games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing