PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An objective look at the Patriots problem areas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
LB - Patriots are thin here, especially given how difficult the system is to learn. Bruschi, Colvin and Vrabel are all very good, but who's to say they won't get injured? Then what?

Monty Beisel looked awful for much of last year. I guess there's some encouragement to be taken from DC Dean Pees, who called Monty "a totally different player by the end of last season." Not exactly enough to make me happy he'll be a starter for us. Who's left?

Tully Banta-Cain might be ready, but he hasn't shown a lot yet.

Ryan Claridge MIGHT be good, but he hasn't even played a down in the NFL. Ditto for the actual rookies like Jeremy Mincey and Freddie Roach - Pasquarelli reports that the Patriots coaches "like what they've seen" from those two, but that was a freakin' minicamp during which no pads were worn and no real hitting took place. Who else?

Eric Alexander? Eh. He's been around as "potential," learning the system for a couple of P.S. years. Hardly a guy you can count on.

Barry Gardner is a sort of who-cares type, like Mallard last year. So...we better hope a couple of those "mights" become "ares" or the LB corps could be a big Achilles heal.

DB - If Asante Samuel and Geno Wilson had taken a big leap last year, particularly in the face of Rodney's absence, I'd feel a lot better about this group. Asante played decently toward the end of the year, but neither shone like we expected they would, just as a natural progression, experience-wise.

Randall Gay joins Asante as a solid+ player who has trouble staying healthy. Hard to really count on them.

Artrell Hawkins was a pleasant surprise and showed that the Pats secondary can play well with him out there at S, and can also play CB.

Chad Scott was better than expected 'til he got injured, but given his age is hardly someone to count on.

Ellis Hobbs was terrific, really helped turn the team around in the 2nd half - 'though it helped that Seymour and Bruschi came back, ripple effect-wise - and I expect a good showing from him this season.

James Sanders is a guy from whom we could see a leap forward, at least according to Rodney Harrison, who seems to like him some.

There's a bunch of nice-ish young players here who, like similar to the LB situation, MIGHT make up a very good group, but it's impossible to say. Not a good feeling. Bringing Ty Law back into the fold would be a big help.

patsox23 said:
Randall Gay joins Asante as a solid+ player who has trouble staying healthy. Hard to really count on them.

Samuel has played in 48 of a possible 52 games in his career.

Just as an Aside, Hawkins should NOT be considered for the CB position in any way shape or form. He's lost too much to be effective there and it really showed in the play-off game when they had him lining up there.

I agree that there is a lack of experienced depth at LB.

I disagree with your assessment of Samuel. However, by the end of last year, I really thought that Samuel should have been lining up at Free Safety with Wilson at corner. However, they aren't going to be making that switch any time soon, unless something miraculous happens.

pats1 said:
Samuel has played in 48 of a possible 52 games in his career.

Wow, really? I'm surprised by that. I still think of him as being, while not brittle, someone so slight that he seems to go down and get hurt and leave the game more often than average. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsox23 said:
Wow, really? I'm surprised by that. I still think of him as being, while not brittle, someone so slight that he seems to go down and get hurt and leave the game more often than average. Thanks for pointing that out.

You bet. Missed 3 games in the middle of 2004 and then the New Years Dolphins game last season.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
LB - Patriots are thin here, especially given how difficult the system is to learn. Bruschi, Colvin and Vrabel are all very good, but who's to say they won't get injured? Then what?

>>>>>>>Every team in the NFL has many positions where there are question marks if good players get injured. Actually every good player in the league creates a problem if they are injured.

Monty Beisel looked awful for much of last year. I guess there's some encouragement to be taken from DC Dean Pees, who called Monty "a totally different player by the end of last season." Not exactly enough to make me happy he'll be a starter for us. Who's left?

Tully Banta-Cain might be ready, but he hasn't shown a lot yet.

>>>>>>There are many Patriots who havent 'shown a lot' before becoming effective players. I dont think we rule a guy out for a role because we havent seen him in that role.

Ryan Claridge MIGHT be good, but he hasn't even played a down in the NFL. Ditto for the actual rookies like Jeremy Mincey and Freddie Roach - Pasquarelli reports that the Patriots coaches "like what they've seen" from those two, but that was a freakin' minicamp during which no pads were worn and no real hitting took place. Who else?

>>>>>>>>>We arent asking them to lead the team, just contribute. I am sure some will.

Eric Alexander? Eh. He's been around as "potential," learning the system for a couple of P.S. years. Hardly a guy you can count on.

>>> You ahve listed numerous players. there is no need to count on any one.

Barry Gardner is a sort of who-cares type, like Mallard last year. So...we better hope a couple of those "mights" become "ares" or the LB corps could be a big Achilles heal.

>>>>Gardner is nothing like Mallard. Gardner has started in the NFL. Gardner has a more impressive resume prior to coming here than Mike Vrabel did. Why is he a who cares type? What is a who cares type?

DB - If Asante Samuel and Geno Wilson had taken a big leap last year, particularly in the face of Rodney's absence, I'd feel a lot better about this group. Asante played decently toward the end of the year, but neither shone like we expected they would, just as a natural progression, experience-wise.

>>>>Lumping Gay and Assante is very curious. Assante has been here 3 years, started a decent part of that, and I dont know how you are saying he cant stay healthy.
Gay has not been a starter, has played about 10% as many snaps as asante, and I dont know if I characterize him as having trouble staying healthy, he got hurt once.

Artrell Hawkins was a pleasant surprise and showed that the Pats secondary can play well with him out there at S, and can also play CB.

>>>He wont play corner

Chad Scott was better than expected 'til he got injured, but given his age is hardly someone to count on.

>>>>He really didnt play hardly at all before being injured.

Ellis Hobbs was terrific, really helped turn the team around in the 2nd half - 'though it helped that Seymour and Bruschi came back, ripple effect-wise - and I expect a good showing from him this season.

James Sanders is a guy from whom we could see a leap forward, at least according to Rodney Harrison, who seems to like him some.

There's a bunch of nice-ish young players here who, like similar to the LB situation, MIGHT make up a very good group, but it's impossible to say. Not a good feeling. Bringing Ty Law back into the fold would be a big help.
>>>You left out Warfield.
10 characters

Thanks for the input, AJ and pats1, always good to get another perspective.

I guess my feeling about Gay being a bit iffy, health-wise, is based on his being injured during his Sr. year at LSA and then last year again.

I hope you're right about Gardner and that he makes an impact.

"I dont think we rule a guy out for a role because we havent seen him in that role."

I'm not ruling anyone out. Just not counting on them - which we can't, obviously - until I see them produce in games that mean something.

To me a "who cares" guy is someone unlikely to make much of an impact. A JAG. Your point is taken, though, that there have been several players that seemed like JAGs only to become more productive and valuable in BB's system.

Oh, and yes, I forgot Warfield. Odd, too, since I am hopeful that he can be a decent player this year.

Last edited:
Also Guss Scott... I remember people were very high on him his first year until he got hurt.

Of course, Rodney is looking like he might be back this year, too. I'm very skeptical that he will be ready at the beginning of the season, but I could see him PUP and in pretty good form for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Harumph, the only problem area I see is WR, I like the CB mix and feel comfortable with LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes