Welcome to PatsFans.com

An Obama quote from Dec 2007

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by KDPPatsfan85, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +179 / 7 / -30

#51 Jersey

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,788 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Yeah ... Barry talks out his butt ... it's how he got elected.

sold pot and yayo from a cart now he is authorizing military strikes ... amazing.

3. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +179 / 7 / -30

#51 Jersey

Yep authorizing strikes without congressional approval!! Why isnt this usurper taken out of office yet?

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +354 / 7 / -4

Congressional approval wasn't required. Think Grenada.

(By the way, you're a couple days behind...)

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +831 / 7 / -3

Why isn't it required? Everything I'm reading is stating otherwise. I'm actually curious what the real deal is. Can he do this, or is what he's doing unconstitutional?

I guess the second question would be how he could say that in 2007, and then not approach congress on this matter.

6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +354 / 7 / -4

Oh, it's completely hypocritical.

War Powers Act only requires "consultation" with Congress and notification within 48 hours.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

He's killing people just like Bush did.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE---:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +896 / 13 / -7

1) Yes, hypocritical.

2) No, not illegal.

3) No, not Bush.

Home and Away: Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties - CNN.com
    U.S. service members dead in wars initiated by GW Bush

Study: War blamed for 655,000 Iraqi deaths - CNN
    One estimate of civilian deaths in Iraq. They're all far higher than the miitary deaths, whichever estimate you choose. And please don't complain that they killed each other -- these are deaths that would not have happened without the war.

This is what it is -- air strikes, with international support, at the request of the Arab League.

That don't make it right. But it also ain't the same thing as Bush.

By the way, while we're comparing campaign speeches with military actions...

YouTube - The George Bush You Forgot
    "If we're arrogant they'll resent us..."

"I don't want to be the world's policeman. I want to be the world's peace-maker."

"The force must be strong enough, and the exit strategy must be well-defined"

YouTube - Bush: "I'm Running to keep the Peace" - 2000 Election Speech - "Realistic view of the world"
    "I'm running to keep the peace... I want the moms and dads and grandparents to hear this loud and clear... I will do everything in my power to make the world a more peaceful place."

(standard peace-through-war backflip, winding up with...)

"In order to keep the peace we must rebuild the military power of the United States of America..." how'd that work out?

Guess what boys and girls... candidates like peace. Presidents like war. Thus far, given the kinds of war available, I'm not giving Obama low marks. I would prefer a raving hippie sometimes, with little use for foreign wars... but even the hippie side of me says "okay -- in a humanitarian intervention where you get in and get out, there's at least a leg to stand on." 8 years for a manufactured package of lies, like Iraq? All those dead sons, daughters, buddies, for a cynical neoclown ideology? Not so much.

With a Pubbie in the white house, people seem to say "Aha! Finally America can have some more peace through war, screw this restraint stuff!" And the deaths come in the thousands, the tens of thousands, the hundreds of thousands.

With a Dem, it's "why didn't you intervene? Why didn't you intervene MORE? Why did you intervene? Why didn't you intervene LESS?"

Not a goddam one of you guys can say you wouldn't be b1tching and moaning if the U.S. sat out the Libya action and let it be handled entirely by the Brits and the French. It's automatic opposition, not considered policy disagreement. That goes for the big-name clowns too (the Boehners of the world.)

PFnV

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

When George Bush did the exact same thing in Iraq, with similar international support to topple the brutal dictator Saddam Hussein - who had slaughtered hundreds of thousands of his own people, thrown human beings off rooftops, laughed as his demented sons (tootie and frootie) raped and sodimized women and children, over the years - the leftist lunatics of America were screaming in the streets.

Now all we hear is silence...

Barack Hussein Obama is nothing but a back alley chicago politician who talks pretty and was elected by a Racist Majority of slobbering fawning fools.

MICHAEL MOORE FINALLY SAID SOMETHING WORTH LISTENING TO THIS WEEK WHEN HE SAID,
    "PRESIDENT OBAMA, RETURN YOUR NOBEL PEACE PRIZE"

:bricks:

10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +381 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

On the humanitarian angle, this also sends a message to the Saudi, Yemeni, Syrian and Bahraini governments: don't shoot protesters or we have to open a can of whoop-a**.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

Iraq does not equal Libya.. we are not invading Lybia.

The only folks happy here are the War Profiteers, who are stealing everyone blind in this country..

OTOH when he did not respond, all the extreeeeeme righties were saying he was asleep at the wheel.

Obama could tell everyone in the Country that they do not have to pay any taxes this year, and the extreeeeeeeme right would complain about not having to pay taxes...

What a bunch of hypocryts those extreeeeeeme righties are.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Clearly there are differences between Iraq and Libya but Obama did not live up to his campaign good intentions either. There is a undeniable flip flop of attitudes harbored by the majorities of the left and right(though more left have stood their ground it seems with this now) completely based on who did the authorizing.

World wide it seems after the French fired the first shot, they've run for the hills and it seems the Brits have all but given up having lobbed a total of 12 cruise missiles compared to our 162 (so says MSNBC this morning) and they are complaining that they are running out. Did we just jump in with both feet with the gang that couldn't shoot straight? Hopefully there is a lot going on in the background that makes more sense but right now what I see on the surface makes me very worried. As always the US is left holding the bag for the rest of the world

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  13. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +381 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +831 / 7 / -3

Yeah but doesn't the war powers act, or resolution, also restrict when the president can use military force? It's only after said use that he is required to notify congress, but that is under the assumption that the forces were legally ordered in the first place. I think that is really the issue here. Not whether or not he's notified congress within 48 hours of what he's doing, but whether or not he has the authority to do what he's done in the first place.

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +354 / 7 / -4

Silence?

What f***ing world are you living in?

spoken by one who would know, clearly

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +354 / 7 / -4

Has Boehner criticized Obama for Libya? The only thing I heard from him was that the actions were not illegal, that Obama did consult w/Congress but that he wants more information in the briefings Congress receives.

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +354 / 7 / -4

I think it is very vague. A couple posters here have mentioned language about vital interests and imminent danger, but I don't think either is in the War Powers Act.

I absolutely could be wrong, though.

(and btw, the President is required by that act to "consult with" Congress advance -- which Boehner has said Obama did, on Friday)

18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Boehner's statement is HARDLY reflexive opposition, it is supportive of the President but requests to know the mission and asks to be briefed .
    >>>>The United States has a moral obligation to stand with those who seek freedom from oppression and self-government for their people. It’s unacceptable and outrageous for Qadhafi to attack his own people, and the violence must stop.
    The President is the commander-in-chief, but the Administration has a responsibility to define for the American people, the Congress, and our troops what the mission in Libya is, better explain what America’s role is in achieving that mission, and make clear how it will be accomplished. Before any further military commitments are made, the Administration must do a better job of briefing members of Congress and communicating to the American people about our mission in Libya and how it will be achieved.>>>>>>

(Sorry for using 4 sentences instead of the maximum 3 but I didn't want to take it out of context)

19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +896 / 13 / -7

The Mrs. & I were discussing the Arab League support -- she was all like "well what's in it for them?" Pretty good question. For Egypt, it's a fraternal thing, having just kicked out Mubarrak. But you gotta figger Syria, Jordan, et al., are praying it's good PR for their own situations.

To Harry - W didn't have our traditional allies behind him, and he had no Arab support. Remember nitwits renaming french fries and pouring french wine down the gutter? That. The Brits were a reliable satellite but the rest defected. We ended up with a bunch of former soviet republics, Poland, other places that pulled out their 20 guys in short order, etc. The "coalition of the willing" was pretty much us and the Brits. If anything, Obama's approach was a more restrained version of what George I did.

PFnV

20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +896 / 13 / -7

As he words the statement, it's all well and good. From what I read here, yes, he does have to brief congress within 60 days. His letter today, of course, is more pointed.

And also of course, Boehner does his complaining without mentioning that he actually has been briefed, and that Obama did, in fact, notify congress:

UPDATE: Boehner Demands Answers From Obama On Libya

And yes, it's reflexive.

Now if Obama really wanted to overreach, he could make up WMDs and Al Qaeda links, spin fairy tales on national TV (and to Congress), and take it from there.

After 60 days, of course, Congress can just pull the plug. Meh. If Obama lets the U.S. role go that long, you won't hear me screaming about it. (But you sure would have heard screaming about it in 2003.)

But hell, it'll be entertaining. We might even get to see Boehner cry on TV again.

PFnV