Welcome to PatsFans.com

An Obama Decision Everyone Can Support

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Feb 16, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +270 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +270 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Ya think? I mean really? There's nothing?

Although it sounds like it might partly be because he is not too comfortable with that kind of thing:

Boston should honor Bill Russell for his historic roles as a basketball player and man - ESPN

Maybe the fact that he accepted this award signals that he is more open to recognition in his later years.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I was glad to see Bill Russell honored, my favorite athlete ever, his books and the person he is goes beyond his accomplishments on the court.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Right now may welcome it.. yesterday on the radio they were saying if the current Celtics passed the hat, they could fund the project on their own..

Love Russell, and he seems to have mellowed.. some of his experiences in Boston were less than positive when he played, and that stuff runs deep.

6. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I never thought about the players passing the hat. To be quite honest, you could pass the hat around the league, and to former players, all of whom benefited from Russell's outspoken speeches on civil rights.
    As a side note, it is always comical to hear about the major coaching challenges that Phil Jackson has/had to overcome to being the "greatest" head coach of all times. I'm sure those trump being a black coach in Boston during the 60's. I am also quite sure, if people picked the best coach/player combo it would be Phil and Micheal. Another example of people not getting it right.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

How Bill Russell doesn't have a statue is beyond me. Especially now with the Celtics being at the top of the league again. What are they going to do, wait till he's dead to honor him with one?

Scout, great point about the difficulty of the two era's. Jackson is the most overrated coach of alltime. He's always coached the teams with the best player(s) in the league. Like you mentioned too, coaches like Red & Russell had to deal with the issue of civil rights and color during their time in the league. I'll give Jackson credit in one regard. He was never stupid enough to take on a bad situation. No MJ, no Kobe, no Shaq? Well, then no thanks to that job.