Welcome to PatsFans.com

An honesty check

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by R_T26, Mar 18, 2006.

1. R_T26

R_T26 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First off, we all trust BB/Pioli, theres no one else I would rather have running my team. But we don't have to act as every signing is a "typical Patriot move". For instance we see some people who now think Caldwell can be the same if not better then David Givens. Yet David Givens was considered a tough overacheiver, and Caldwell is considered a soft underacheiver. On another board a poster even posted "Caldwell is quietly the best F/A signing of the year" and othewres agreed...thats homerism. Some may argue that he will be better here, but when we signed Terrell he was coming off a 699 yard season, where as Caldwell is coming off an under 400 yard season, yet Terrell couldn't cut it here. If Caldwell signed w/ any other team would we even think twice about it, if he had signed w/ Miami would anyone compare him to Givens. Then theres the whole signing a big name could ruin your cap theory. The Pats signed Colvin to what was considered a huge deal, he then blew out his hip and was not the same for 2 years, that was under a smaller cap, yet it did not ruin the Patriots, they in fact won 2 SB's. Towards the end of last season we got to see why Colvin was worth the money. We also don't need to put down players that we know the Patriots won't sign. For instance, LaVar Arrington does roam around but if you dont think he would look great in the Pats D, your lying to yourself. Belichick once coached and loves Lawrence Taylor, BB could handle someone like Arrington. What Im really trying to say if the Pats signed Caldwell and lets say Edinger to replace Givens and Vinateri, I hope no one would believe they are "Patriot Type" signings, because that would not improve the team. Luckily theres still a lot of time left.

2. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

R_T26, nicely articulated thoughts. Good post...... :rocker:

3. harveyw

harveyw Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Caldwell sucks and will never be as productive as Givens. Would have been better off keeping Andre Davis. And to that chooch Pats1 put up a brand that your boy Caldwell will out produce Givens' stats. He is a perenial loser who's career stats don't even amount to a full he season. He is the epitome of a bust.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it's a real shame that the offseason is over, opening day is Sunday and all we added at WR is Caldwell.

:bricks:

5. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Edinger would absolutely improve this team, because as of right now, we have NO KICKER.

It would have been fun having some of you guys around during the "No way Patten makes this team" threads. :D

6. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Man, now I really cannot WAIT for the season!

7. R_T26

R_T26 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Trust me the Patten wont make this team along w/ poole wont make this team threads were on every Pats board.

8. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

9. OntarioPatsFan

OntarioPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ha, just like every other team in the NFL, you've overlooked our ol' ace-in-the-hole.... Flutie!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  10. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree and I trust BB/SP to do their best in getting a quality team on the field year after year...Would not want anything but them..I agree...so????
    Not sure what you mean by that..it IS a typical Patriot move..is it not?? What would you call it then?? They have signed a receiver of
    little fanfare at a low price..hoping his value will rise when he gets into the Patriot's system. Is that NOT what they do and are successful at?? How is it NOT typical??
    Lying to myself?? Let us look at this as it is..as there are anumber of things to consider. Firstly, look at the salary and how it affects the cap if Arrington was signed. Does one wish to sign him if it puts things out of whack?? I don't think so...so that has to be a real consideration. That is one part of it...but for argument..let's just say it is doable financially. Arrington is a very strong player..no doubt. But football is not an individual game. It is not one on one. It is as much a team sport as nay and its how he would fit in with the other players on the team...in the system that the Patriots run here. He may be a p[layer that is suited for certain types of defenses more than others. His freelancing may be more of an achilels heel in a D here...there are many football decisions and things that I do not know about that would make him a better player here or not.
    Look at Chad Brown...he was more of an OLB in his career and played much better from that spot..The Patriots had him inside and did not use him as the best they could..but because of TJ's retirement and Bruschi's situation..they almost had no choice. I have no idea how Arrington would fit in..but that is a BB decision as to how he would or would not. There is also a 3rd part of this..chemistry and if he would help it or hinder it. Is he really a team player or more out for himself?? Again..it's more of a coaches decision.
    well..if you are comparing Givens..to Caldwell and Vinatieri to Edinger...I will say this. What are you comparing just their play OR the financial implications of the salary included??
    Givens for a ton of money or Caldwell for very cheap.. It's not as easy as you think to compare...right now both would be good signings..we have a depleted WR corps and no kicker...

11. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,211 / 13 / -15

#75 Jersey

This is not a Patriot type signing.

7th round draft pick averaging 39.5 catches

5 years 24 million dollars 8 million signing bonus.

I like Givens. There is probably less than a 1% chance he is worth more than that.

There is a high likelyhood he's worth less.

Patriot type signing Rodney Harrison, Dillon, Roman Phifer , Vrabel and a lot of guys that failed.

Those failures didn't kill our cap.

Overpaying 2 or 3 guys will.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  12. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,211 / 13 / -15

#75 Jersey

Don't rule out Patten making this team again.

The silly Skins are throwing out last years players and putting on the new spring collection of overpaid receivers.

And they look Mahvelous. Well on the way to another off season title.

13. Garbanza

Garbanza In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Caldwell is not good and is certainly an underachiever. It must be said. Kudos to the poster who did. Any fool who thinks he will come close to Givens' production is ....well, a fool.

14. wrangler

wrangler Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

...banza, Caldwell 2 yrs off an ACL, maybe, just maybe he is fully recovered.?

And given the chance, just might be better than Givens was in this system.?

15. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You really think that is possible??? NO...really?? Better than Givens??? Really???

16. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,211 / 13 / -15

#75 Jersey

I'm not saying that, but for the sake of argument, why not?

We're not talking Paul Warfield here.

A lot of receivers might be better than Givens.

Try to be objective.