PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An honesty check

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
First off, we all trust BB/Pioli, theres no one else I would rather have running my team. But we don't have to act as every signing is a "typical Patriot move". For instance we see some people who now think Caldwell can be the same if not better then David Givens. Yet David Givens was considered a tough overacheiver, and Caldwell is considered a soft underacheiver. On another board a poster even posted "Caldwell is quietly the best F/A signing of the year" and othewres agreed...thats homerism. Some may argue that he will be better here, but when we signed Terrell he was coming off a 699 yard season, where as Caldwell is coming off an under 400 yard season, yet Terrell couldn't cut it here. If Caldwell signed w/ any other team would we even think twice about it, if he had signed w/ Miami would anyone compare him to Givens. Then theres the whole signing a big name could ruin your cap theory. The Pats signed Colvin to what was considered a huge deal, he then blew out his hip and was not the same for 2 years, that was under a smaller cap, yet it did not ruin the Patriots, they in fact won 2 SB's. Towards the end of last season we got to see why Colvin was worth the money. We also don't need to put down players that we know the Patriots won't sign. For instance, LaVar Arrington does roam around but if you dont think he would look great in the Pats D, your lying to yourself. Belichick once coached and loves Lawrence Taylor, BB could handle someone like Arrington. What Im really trying to say if the Pats signed Caldwell and lets say Edinger to replace Givens and Vinateri, I hope no one would believe they are "Patriot Type" signings, because that would not improve the team. Luckily theres still a lot of time left.

R_T26, nicely articulated thoughts. Good post...... :rocker:

Caldwell sucks and will never be as productive as Givens. Would have been better off keeping Andre Davis. And to that chooch Pats1 put up a brand that your boy Caldwell will out produce Givens' stats. He is a perenial loser who's career stats don't even amount to a full he season. He is the epitome of a bust.

Yeah, it's a real shame that the offseason is over, opening day is Sunday and all we added at WR is Caldwell.

:bricks:

R_T26 said:
What Im really trying to say if the Pats signed Caldwell and lets say Edinger to replace Givens and Vinateri, I hope no one would believe they are "Patriot Type" signings, because that would not improve the team. Luckily theres still a lot of time left.
Edinger would absolutely improve this team, because as of right now, we have NO KICKER.

It would have been fun having some of you guys around during the "No way Patten makes this team" threads. :D

harveyw said:
Caldwell sucks and will never be as productive as Givens. Would have been better off keeping Andre Davis. And to that chooch Pats1 put up a brand that your boy Caldwell will out produce Givens' stats. He is a perenial loser who's career stats don't even amount to a full he season. He is the epitome of a bust.

Man, now I really cannot WAIT for the season!

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Edinger would absolutely improve this team, because as of right now, we have NO KICKER.

It would have been fun having some of you guys around during the "No way Patten makes this team" threads. :D

Trust me the Patten wont make this team along w/ poole wont make this team threads were on every Pats board.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Ha, just like every other team in the NFL, you've overlooked our ol' ace-in-the-hole.... Flutie!

182548-65942.jpg

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
First off, we all trust BB/Pioli, theres no one else I would rather have running my team.
I agree and I trust BB/SP to do their best in getting a quality team on the field year after year...Would not want anything but them..I agree...so????
R_T26 said:
But we don't have to act as every signing is a "typical Patriot move".
Not sure what you mean by that..it IS a typical Patriot move..is it not?? What would you call it then?? They have signed a receiver of
little fanfare at a low price..hoping his value will rise when he gets into the Patriot's system. Is that NOT what they do and are successful at?? How is it NOT typical??
R_T26 said:
For instance we see some people who now think Caldwell can be the same if not better then David Givens. Yet David Givens was considered a tough overacheiver, and Caldwell is considered a soft underacheiver. On another board a poster even posted "Caldwell is quietly the best F/A signing of the year" and othewres agreed...thats homerism.
[/QOUTE] Yes, some people do think that...and why is that wrong?? Givens came in a 7th round draft pick..unknown..and look at what has happened to him in 4 years??? Should one think a receiver who has had some NFL experience..is similar in size may not end up better in a Patriot system after a few years?? Is that a long shot or more reasonable?? Or does it depend on many intangibles?? No doubt Caldwell is NOT as good as Givens is now..not at all..but obviously they see an upside in the system here. I do not think it's at all a guarantee he will be better in a few..but I think he will be better here than in SD..and will have more of an opportunity to make it. I also think they are different types of receivers..so that too will say a lot..I do think it reasonable to think he could be better in time than Givens..a year or too. But again..as Givens was when he was signed..just a possibility himself..and RC comes in at a higher level.
R_T26 said:
Some may argue that he will be better here, but when we signed Terrell he was coming off a 699 yard season, where as Caldwell is coming off an under 400 yard season, yet Terrell couldn't cut it here. If Caldwell signed w/ any other team would we even think twice about it, if he had signed w/ Miami would anyone compare him to Givens.
Comparing Terrell and Caldwell are two different things...to try and compare them..is not at all honest. When Terrell was signed..the Patriots had a bunch of WRs signed already...(not counting a few NFLE and lesser known ones..) there was Branch, Givens, BJohnson and Dwight. Obviously, Terrell was not being looked at as a certainty, but as a possible to see if he "got it" so to speak. A project..a long shot. There were probably 4 ahead on the depth chart...but he had a chance to possibly be a 3...much more of a gamble than Caldwell. From everything I have heard there are no attitude problems or anything at all like Terrell. Also, at this time there are only 2 other WRs of importance signed..so obviously, he's in a different spot than with 3 others ahead on the depth charts. No, probably we would not notice it that much..but it is like a statement out of context. Look at the context of last year's Terrel's signing and this year's Caldwell signing..much much different.
R_T26 said:
Then theres the whole signing a big name could ruin your cap theory. The Pats signed Colvin to what was considered a huge deal, he then blew out his hip and was not the same for 2 years, that was under a smaller cap, yet it did not ruin the Patriots, they in fact won 2 SB's. Towards the end of last season we got to see why Colvin was worth the money.
Theory?? I am not sure it is a theory..You have pointed out in the past how
they went after Harrison and Colvin..and last year they went after Mason on Day one. Very selective about what they do and when they do and who they go after. That is not what these other teams do..the other teams (most of them anyway) go out and spend like drunken sailors..throwing money this way and that. The Patriots are very selective if they do that. And another thing is you and I have no idea how they have decided to allocate the money they have..how much for FAs..how much for extensions..how much for FAs.we have no idea how that is for each year, for I assure you it changes depending upon needs, contracts and the like. They signed Rodney and Rosy a few years ago..but becaus ethey did that does NOT mean they have plans like that for every year. This is what they do and we as fans can only speculate about. We do know a bit about what they do by past history..but to make "rules" like they do...they can also break them if they deem changes are needed. No it was a smaller cap then and it did not ruin them..but because they did it that year..does it mean that this year it is the same?? It would be pure speculation to take that and think every year is the same...and that because they did it then..means they CAN do it now. Makes no sense at all. Things change and theit goals and allocation of money differs from year to year. That is why they show great management..why this team will be solid for awhile.[/QOUTE] We also don't need to put down players that we know the Patriots won't sign. For instance, LaVar Arrington does roam around but if you dont think he would look great in the Pats D, your lying to yourself. Belichick once coached and loves Lawrence Taylor, BB could handle someone like Arrington.
Lying to myself?? Let us look at this as it is..as there are anumber of things to consider. Firstly, look at the salary and how it affects the cap if Arrington was signed. Does one wish to sign him if it puts things out of whack?? I don't think so...so that has to be a real consideration. That is one part of it...but for argument..let's just say it is doable financially. Arrington is a very strong player..no doubt. But football is not an individual game. It is not one on one. It is as much a team sport as nay and its how he would fit in with the other players on the team...in the system that the Patriots run here. He may be a p[layer that is suited for certain types of defenses more than others. His freelancing may be more of an achilels heel in a D here...there are many football decisions and things that I do not know about that would make him a better player here or not.
Look at Chad Brown...he was more of an OLB in his career and played much better from that spot..The Patriots had him inside and did not use him as the best they could..but because of TJ's retirement and Bruschi's situation..they almost had no choice. I have no idea how Arrington would fit in..but that is a BB decision as to how he would or would not. There is also a 3rd part of this..chemistry and if he would help it or hinder it. Is he really a team player or more out for himself?? Again..it's more of a coaches decision.
R_T26 said:
What Im really trying to say if the Pats signed Caldwell and lets say Edinger to replace Givens and Vinateri, I hope no one would believe they are "Patriot Type" signings, because that would not improve the team. Luckily theres still a lot of time left.
well..if you are comparing Givens..to Caldwell and Vinatieri to Edinger...I will say this. What are you comparing just their play OR the financial implications of the salary included??
Givens for a ton of money or Caldwell for very cheap.. It's not as easy as you think to compare...right now both would be good signings..we have a depleted WR corps and no kicker...

R_T26 said:
First off, we all trust BB/Pioli, theres no one else I would rather have running my team. But we don't have to act as every signing is a "typical Patriot move". For instance we see some people who now think Caldwell can be the same if not better then David Givens. Yet David Givens was considered a tough overacheiver, and Caldwell is considered a soft underacheiver. On another board a poster even posted "Caldwell is quietly the best F/A signing of the year" and othewres agreed...thats homerism. Some may argue that he will be better here, but when we signed Terrell he was coming off a 699 yard season, where as Caldwell is coming off an under 400 yard season, yet Terrell couldn't cut it here. If Caldwell signed w/ any other team would we even think twice about it, if he had signed w/ Miami would anyone compare him to Givens. Then theres the whole signing a big name could ruin your cap theory. The Pats signed Colvin to what was considered a huge deal, he then blew out his hip and was not the same for 2 years, that was under a smaller cap, yet it did not ruin the Patriots, they in fact won 2 SB's. Towards the end of last season we got to see why Colvin was worth the money. We also don't need to put down players that we know the Patriots won't sign. For instance, LaVar Arrington does roam around but if you dont think he would look great in the Pats D, your lying to yourself. Belichick once coached and loves Lawrence Taylor, BB could handle someone like Arrington. What Im really trying to say if the Pats signed Caldwell and lets say Edinger to replace Givens and Vinateri, I hope no one would believe they are "Patriot Type" signings, because that would not improve the team. Luckily theres still a lot of time left.

This is not a Patriot type signing.

7th round draft pick averaging 39.5 catches

5 years 24 million dollars 8 million signing bonus.

I like Givens. There is probably less than a 1% chance he is worth more than that.

There is a high likelyhood he's worth less.

Patriot type signing Rodney Harrison, Dillon, Roman Phifer , Vrabel and a lot of guys that failed.

Those failures didn't kill our cap.

Overpaying 2 or 3 guys will.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
Trust me the Patten wont make this team along w/ poole wont make this team threads were on every Pats board.

Don't rule out Patten making this team again.

The silly Skins are throwing out last years players and putting on the new spring collection of overpaid receivers.

And they look Mahvelous. Well on the way to another off season title.

Caldwell is not good and is certainly an underachiever. It must be said. Kudos to the poster who did. Any fool who thinks he will come close to Givens' production is ....well, a fool.

...banza, Caldwell 2 yrs off an ACL, maybe, just maybe he is fully recovered.?

And given the chance, just might be better than Givens was in this system.?

wrangler said:
...banza, Caldwell 2 yrs off an ACL, maybe, just maybe he is fully recovered.?

And given the chance, just might be better than Givens was in this system.?
You really think that is possible??? NO...really?? Better than Givens??? Really???

Pats726 said:
You really think that is possible??? NO...really?? Better than Givens??? Really???

I'm not saying that, but for the sake of argument, why not?

We're not talking Paul Warfield here.

A lot of receivers might be better than Givens.

Try to be objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back