PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Early Jab At Projecting the 53 Man Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I make this thread realizing several things such as new FA signings, injuries, and UDFA's making good impressions, but it can't hurt taking an early look..

QB- Brady, Garoppolo, Mallett (3)
RB- Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, White, Develin (5)
WR- Dobson, Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, Thompkins, Boyce/Gallon, Slater (7)
TE- Gronk, Hooman, FA(Keller?)/Williams/UDFA (3)
OL- Mankins, Solder, Vollmer, Wendell/Connolly (one gets cut), Cannon, Stork, Fleming, Halapio (8)
DL- Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Ch. Jones, Ninkovich, Chr. Jones, Smith, Buchannon, two of Armstead/Siliga/Moore (10)
LB- Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Beauharnais, White/FA pickup/Morris (5)
CB- Revis, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Thomas (5)
S- McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Wilson/Ebner (4)
ST- Gost, Allen, Aiken (3)

Key points-
-Remember Browner is suspended for first four games
-For now Mallett keeps a spot barring trade
-For now I'll project seven WR's, but may switch one of those spots into an extra OL or LB spot.
-Also remember this is an early, mid May projection. I understand many things will change three-four months from now.

Thoughts?

Do you realize how few reps the #4, #5 and #6 WR's get? If Dobson, Edelman, Amendola and LeFell are healthy, I would expect almost no reps for the rest. Since there are always injuries, we always keep a backup or two. Three is clearly excessive.

I make this thread realizing several things such as new FA signings, injuries, and UDFA's making good impressions, but it can't hurt taking an early look..

QB- Brady, Garoppolo, Mallett (3)
RB- Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, White, Develin (5)
WR- Dobson, Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, Thompkins, Boyce/Gallon, Slater (7)
TE- Gronk, Hooman, FA(Keller?)/Williams/UDFA (3)
OL- Mankins, Solder, Vollmer, Wendell/Connolly (one gets cut), Cannon, Stork, Fleming, Halapio (8)
DL- Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Ch. Jones, Ninkovich, Chr. Jones, Smith, Buchannon, two of Armstead/Siliga/Moore (10)
LB- Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Beauharnais, White/FA pickup/Morris (5)
CB- Revis, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Thomas (5)
S- McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Wilson/Ebner (4)
ST- Gost, Allen, Aiken (3)

Key points-
-Remember Browner is suspended for first four games
-For now Mallett keeps a spot barring trade
-For now I'll project seven WR's, but may switch one of those spots into an extra OL or LB spot.
-Also remember this is an early, mid May projection. I understand many things will change three-four months from now.

Thoughts?

Do you realize how few reps the #4, #5 and #6 WR's get? If Dobson, Edelman, Amendola and LeFell are healthy, I would expect almost no reps for the rest. Since there are always injuries, we always keep a backup or two. Three is clearly excessive.
Which is why I may reconsider that. It's very unconventional for us to keep 7 total WR's, plus we can likely have a guy like Gallon sent over to the PS, and also maybe Boyce could beat out Thompkins for a spot. Guess Thompkins spot shouldn't yet be certain, but who knows?

Super super early attempt:

(2) QB: Brady, Garoppolo
(4) RB: Ridley, Vereen, White, Houston
(1) FB: Develin
(4) TE: Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui, Jones, Keller
(7) WR: Dobson, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins, Harrison
(8) OL: Solder, Mankins, Stork, Cannon, Vollmer, Fleming, Halapio, Connolly

(10) DL: Cha. Jones, Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich, Chr. Jones, Easley, Armstead, Buchanan, Moore, Siliga
(5) LB: Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Morris, Beauharnais
(4) CB: Revis, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan
(4) S: McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Thomas

(1) K: Gostkowski
(1) P: Allen
(1) LS: Ott
(1) ST: Slater

PUP:
Smith

Suspended:
Browner

Practice squad:
Kline, Watson, Finch, Cave, Mattes, Logan, Orton

From the camp battles thread.

7 receivers listed but: Boyce will probably be the kick returner and is there for that reason, Harrison would be poached from the PS in no time, he would be a handy RZ receiver too.

Agree that you've got one too many WR. Thompkins may find himself in a tough spot unless he develops a ST role. Amendola and Dobson are the only others without much ST value, and barring injury :rolleyes:, they are locks. You've also got too many DL there. It looks like we'll be letting a good DLman go unless somebody (Smith, Wilfork?) opens the season on PUP. We'll carry another OL, and the other spot goes to a FA LB with ST value/coverage skills. Of course, Gronk could easily open the season on PUP, which would make room for someone else.

Somewhere someone had said that Lafell could take snaps as a flex TE, I dont know if that's true or not but if it is then its something to consider in terms of the WR depth. I think though with Browner out they are still going to want some depth at DB that they could just cut when he returns.

Somewhere someone had said that Lafell could take snaps as a flex TE, I dont know if that's true or not but if it is then its something to consider in terms of the WR depth. I think though with Browner out they are still going to want some depth at DB that they could just cut when he returns.
Yup, LaFell can take reps as a move TE.

We are set at WR with Amendola, Edelman, Dobson and LaFell. Obviously, we could trade for a top receiver.

The 5th WR will get zero reps as a receiver unless there are TWO injuries at the position. It seems that Boyce is a lock over Thompkins because of his KR skills. If someone goes to the IR (or if we trade someone), Harrison and the rookies would compete with Thompkins for the roster spot.

Most don't like our TE situation. We will likely have Gronkowksi, Keller and Hooman after June 1st, with LaFell able take some reps. In addition, we have Williams and the kids, especially important if Keller isn't able to play. Obviously, the key is Gronk, not the other tight ends.

Last edited:
DT will be interesting to watch.
Returning from last season we have Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Armond Armstead, Joe Vellano, and Marcus Forston. Probably only room for two of them.
Interestingly, Siliga, Jones, Vellano, and Forston are the following sizes:
6-1.6 305
6-1.5 302
6-1.3 306
6-1.2 301

Armstead is a different size and skillset at 6-4.2 295. Assuming both Wilfork and Kelly return from injury, hard to see more than one of the four above making the final roster, much as they stepped in to contribute last year.

Yup, LaFell can take reps as a move TE.

We are set at WR with Amendola, Edelman, Dobson and LaFell. Obviously, we could trade for a top receiver.

The 5th WR will get zero reps as a receiver unless there are TWO injuries at the position. It seems that Boyce is a lock over Thompkins because of his KR skills. If someone goes to the IR (or if we trade someone), Harrison and the rookies would compete with Thompkins for the roster spot.

Most don't like our TE situation. We will likely have Gronkowksi, Keller and Hooman after June 1st, with LaFell able take some reps. In addition, we have Williams and the kids, especially important if Keller isn't able to play. Obviously, the key is Gronk, not the other tight ends.
I wouldn't say Boyce is a LOCK, but his KR skills are a plus for him. We also cannot count on Keller until he is actually signed by the team.

DT will be interesting to watch.
Returning from last season we have Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Armond Armstead, Joe Vellano, and Marcus Forston. Probably only room for two of them.
Interestingly, Siliga, Jones, Vellano, and Forston are the following sizes:
6-1.6 305
6-1.5 302
6-1.3 306
6-1.2 301

Armstead is a different size and skillset at 6-4.2 295. Assuming both Wilfork and Kelly return from injury, hard to see more than one of the four above making the final roster, much as they stepped in to contribute last year.

Siliga is 325 - a very different sort of player.

Every year we have a surprise cut, too. I'll guess that the one who walks will be Kelly

Given the health concerns with Dobson (and Gronk) it may be prudent to keep an extra WR on the roster.

As for the other spots ... way too early to project anything at this stage of the game.

Every year we have a surprise cut, too. I'll guess that the one who walks will be Kelly

The "surprise" cut will be Mallett.

By surprise I mean some people on here will be amazed he didn't get traded for a first round pick :D

I think that the two tight end offense is done. I see the 2007 three wide receiver offense as the direction.

X-WR - Moss = Dobson
Z-WR - Welker = Edelman
Y-WR - Stallworth = LaFell

I'm picturing a depth chart looking like this -

QB - Brady, Mallett, Garopollo (3)
RB - Ridley, Bolden, White (3)
3rd down RB - Vereen (1)
FB - Develin (1)
WRX - Dobson, Thompkins/Harrison (2)
WRZ - Edelman, Amendola (2)
WRY - LaFell, Boyce, Slater (3)
TE -Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui, Keller/Williams/Duncan (3)
LT - Solder (1)
LG - Mankins (1)
OC - Connolly, Stork (2)
RG - Cannon, Halapio (2)
RT - Vollmer, Fleming (2)

LE - Ninkovich, Buchanan (2)
3tech DT - Easley, Jones, Armstead (3)
1tech DT - Wilfork, Kelly, Siliga (3)
RE - Jones, Smith, Moore (3)
SLB - Hightower, Collins (2)
WLB - Mayo, Beauharnais, White (3)
LCB - Revis, Ryan (2)
RCB - Dennard, Arrington (2)
HCB - Browner (1)
FS - McCourty, Thomas (2)
SS - Harmon, Chung, Wilson (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back