PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Assignment For All Of You

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCal Patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This morning I had some time so I went back and looked at The 3 Super Bowl DVDs and what struck Me the most relative to This past season and those three glorious years was the absense of Big Play Touchdowns.My definition of "Big Play Touchdowns" is plays of more than 40 yards.Even the 2001 Team which rarely threw the ball deep had several of these which included Screen plays going to the house by Patrick Pass and Antowain Smith,Long punt returns by Troy Brown,Flanker passes by David Patten and even a couple of over 40 yard runs by Antowain Smith.Not only do these plays score 7 points but they are also disheartening to the opposing defense. It may just be Me but I don't think plays like these are easy to overcome.
Looking at these DVDs gives You a great chance to self scout but also They will bring a smile to your face.Reliving some of those moments is truly incredible.I will be interested in hearing what You think after You review these DVDs.
Your assignment is to review these three DVDs and compare and contrast what You saw there and what We have just seen this season.I think what You have forgotten will surprise You.It's not only informative ,it's also fun.

Lots of folks seem to be enamored with the big pass play, look how well it works for Cincinnati , but realistically this team is more of a small and mid range pass play team. I also know that many folks want Brady paired with a big time receiver, but he may already be here.. Chad Jackson, who never really made it to the big time this year.

Just read, "Moving the Chains" about Tom Brady, this is very well written and lets readers glimpse into the philosophy of the Pats O and combined with "Patriot Reign" gives a lot of insight into this organization. Together, they somewhat negate the whole big pass play argument.

I never focused on merely long passing plays.I said Big Play Touchdowns whether they be Passes ,Runs,Punt Returns,Screens,interceptions, whatever.
By the way I have already read both.

Last edited:
Although you bring up good points and memories, You have to also look at this way.. NFL 01 vs NFL 06-07.... Huge difference.
Also when teams prep up for us now as opposed to then, I think they pay a little more attention to us.(A proven Tom Brady, 3 SB rings, etc. etc), I think the league caught on to our dink and dunk passing game along with the screen..so they get blown up often. And then of course (NEM IS GONNA LOVE THIS) there is the Charlie Weis Factor,he was good, damn good.

But your not wrong per say, The way those guys got it done looked alot cripser and how do you say.. Less sloppy? then the guys who get it done now do. It almost looks like the big plays we get now is By accident or the Defense blows coverage or makes a mistake or slips up. But its nothing a FULL off season or learning and getting use to routes and Brady can't help.

Also-- Not fair to bring the A-Train into this... No RB we have could bulldoze defenders llike that man, he was a horse. Dillion has a fierce Stiff arm and is a horse as well but boy..when the weather got cold and the flakes started fallin..so did the defenders...usually because #32 just smashed him.

Jackson will be a long ball as well as a small ball type of receiver, which is why he will be dangerous when he finally develops.

Note : no knock on dillion at all, the man is a beast, one of my fav pats.

You'll see that the diversity of The Offense led to many of these "Big Plays"Frankly We didn't see this diversity this season for a variety of reasons.

I also noticed that this season lacked the 'big play' touchdowns.

In fact, these are the touchdowns I can think of that were over 40 yards.....

at GB 67 yard TD bomb to R.Caldwell

vs. HOU 41 yard screen pass to K.Faulk

vs. HOU 90+ yard kickoff return TD by E.Hobbs

at TEN 60+ yard TD pass to R.Caldwell

with the receiving group that we had, we never really had a deep threat. Our offense had the personnel to play the 'small ball' type offense. It just goes with working with what you have, and play to your strengths.

There was an incredible confidence during those years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes