An actual football tidbit from Mike Reiss re: James Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From his mailbag today:

Hey Mike, I know it's a big day for Brady, but I'm still hoping to talk football. I'm curious about your thoughts on James Morris? I was shocked he was not drafted in 2014 -- his tape from Iowa was very impressive. With the loss of Spikes, does he kind of step up now, or are the Patriots still looking to see who is out there? [. . .] -- Eric (Rhode Island)

Eric, based on the last practice we watched on June 17, Morris has a nice opportunity ahead of him. He's currently the next man up at linebacker and was calling the defense that day. He moves pretty well laterally, so he has a chance for an expanded role. Let's see what he does with it when the pads come on.

He's my dark horse to make the team (he was last year too). Very productive in college. 400 total tackles (180 solo, 220 asst) 33 TFL, 10.5 sacks (8 as senior) and 6 ints. Surprised he was not drafted. I know he had some injury issue after the Pats signed him which lead to his release. They obviously see something in him to have resigned him.

He's my dark horse to make the team (he was last year too). Very productive in college. 400 total tackles (180 solo, 220 asst) 33 TFL, 10.5 sacks (8 as senior) and 6 ints. Surprised he was not drafted. I know he had some injury issue after the Pats signed him which lead to his release. They obviously see something in him to have resigned him.

Strictly speaking, he wasn't released, he was waived/injured, which meant if he wasn't claimed off waivers (and he wasn't) he would end up on IR.

The 2014 draft class could end up sneaky good:

Easley: starting DT
Stork: starting C
Butler: starting CB
White: 3rd down RB
Morris: 4th LB
Fleming: depth OT

And then the lottery pick, Garoppolo, which we won't know for awhile.

The 2014 draft class could end up sneaky good:

Easley: starting DT
Stork: starting C
Butler: starting CB
White: 3rd down RB
Morris: 4th LB
Fleming: depth OT

And then the lottery pick, Garoppolo, which we won't know for awhile.

Butler and Morris were not in the Patriots 2014 draft class.

Butler and Morris were not in the Patriots 2014 draft class.

BB called them, invited them to camp, and signed them. I count UDFAs as part of a rookie class. What are they then?

BB called them, invited them to camp, and signed them. I count UDFAs as part of a rookie class. What are they then?

"I count UDFAs as part of a rookie class."

Ah, no complaints there, but that wasn't the term you originally used, was it?

IMO Morris was making the team last year before he got injured in the last preseason game

IMO Morris was making the team last year before he got injured in the last preseason game
IIRC correctly he kicked ass vs the Panthers in pre-season...the dress rehearsal game if you will.

Go James Morris! Had the pleasure of watching him kick ass and take names for four years.

I Googled "Morris" "Iowa" and the wedding link popped up.

Ben Volin would be proud.

You decided to go right to the source, and your source confided in you--on the condition of anonymity, of course--that he's getting married.

Gotta learn to speak Volin's language.

You decided to go right to the source, and your source confided in you--on the condition of anonymity, of course--that he's getting married.

Gotta learn to speak Volin's language.
Yep. No one saw me google it expect my dog that lies next to my desk in my home office.

Ha, I know a guy in the wedding party. Do you guys need me to go stand outside and live tweet entrances and exits? I mean, it's guaranteed to be more exciting than what we heard about Brady's appeal yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back