PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Achilles’ heel is a fatal weakness in spite of overall strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, without any doubt. THE only thing that would truly derail us from having at the very least, a really good chance this yr.

This point is probably understated, as many continue to argue over LB, who'll start at RB, etc. Can we improve this position/that position, etc. The most important piece of the puzzle by far is protecting Brady, I can't see how we wouldn't have a shot, otherwise. We're totally fine at everything else, maybe not 100 % dominating, (OLB) but fine at every other position.

Yep. Patriots are starting to become as ridiculous as Jets fans. Now it's suddenly a requirement to have All-Pros at every position or the team has an Achilles heel and BB is off his game.

The offense's job is to get firstdowns. The couldn't even do that in the 2nd half. They were terrible.

The defense wasn't great in the 2nd half either, but they really needed the offense to put together one long drive against a terrible defense, and they couldn't do that.

The offense's job is to score points. The Patriots put more than 30 on the board.

The defense's job is to PREVENT points. The Colts put up more than 30 and more than the Patriots.

I agree that OLB is the weakest link when 2 of our 3 top OLB's are injured. I would expect the same if 2 of our top 3 are injured this year.

BB has plenty of $$$ to add experience via FA or through a trade (lots of #2s). I won't go into the names but I argue the need is there.

BB also has atleast 3 elite level players who are on the last year of their contract. Using up that space pretty much guarantees that Mankins, Wilfork, Neal, Seymour, and a host of others walk.

BB is pretty good at scheming around weaknesses. Even our Superbowl winning teams had some warts on them. I'd feel more reassured if the Pats got a veteran OLB but I'm taking the wait and see approach for now, because it's a long time between now and the beginning of minicamps and such.

Isn't the point of this thread to point out that Belichick is such a poor coach that he didn't draft anyone at our position of greatest need, evn though there were many options available at all portions of the draft?

Perhaps we should be asking what Belichick knows about Thomas, Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain and Redd that we don't.

The Patriots lost because the defense collapsed and the officials made a terrible call. Blaming the offense is just a way for people to feel better about bashing the receivers all season long.

As I recall, the defense was gassed and depleted. No Rodney and Junior for the game, ILBs were asked to do more than they had ever proven...it was a dog fight. I will not blame Caldwell for the loss, but it happened to be his worst game as a Pat. No one shined in the 2nd half. Play calling tightened up, the running game was haulted, and Indy took it to 'em, all over the field.

Who's to argue with BB.....but...I listed two examples in the last 4 years where KNOWN deficiencies in the offseason were treated with JAG replacements, and it can be easily argued that the ILBs in '05 and WRs in '06 derailed those teams chances.

There is one problem with your whole deficiency statements.

1) In 2005 with ILB. Ted Johnson was declared in eligible the day of the physicals at training camp. In an attempt to shore up the ILB position the Patriots attempted to bring in 2 players they felt could help in Beisel and Brown. But who else was available as a UFA in 2005? What about in the draft?

2) In 2006, the Pats brought in Caldwell to replace Givens. They were working under the assumption that Branch was a man of his word and would honor his contract. The Patriots also grabbed Chad Jackson in the draft.

So, for you to act like the Patriots purposely ignored things shows that you are the one ignoring things, not the Patriots. Because the Patriots DID try to address the things you claim.

Who's to argue with BB.....but...I listed two examples in the last 4 years where KNOWN deficiencies in the offseason were treated with JAG replacements, and it can be easily argued that the ILBs in '05 and WRs in '06 derailed those teams chances.

Every team has deficiencies. Every team cannot fill every deficiency with superstars. The NFL is a league where JAG play a lot on every team.

The big gripe I have is that posters will act as if drafting some guy who is supposed to be a pass rusher equals solving the problem. If it were that easy BB would have done it. What he is doing is NOT drafting the guy who ISNT the answer, because he knows more than you, and you are wrong that the guy is the answer.

Yep. Patriots are starting to become as ridiculous as Jets fans. Now it's suddenly a requirement to have All-Pros at every position or the team has an Achilles heel and BB is off his game.

Yeah, a defense that was 26th in Red Zone scoring and 30th in 3rd conversions last year...no worries...but no sacks

The offense's job is to score points. The Patriots put more than 30 on the board. .

Yes, with a large percentage of them being scored as a direct result of the defense or special teams.

From 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter, the Patriots only had one offensive drive of longer than 35 yards. They did not have a single offensive posession in the 2nd half that went for longer than 2:44.

The defense was sick (the flu), and tired, and if the offense could have put together one single drive, they win that game.

As I recall, the defense was gassed and depleted. No Rodney and Junior for the game, ILBs were asked to do more than they had ever proven...it was a dog fight. I will not blame Caldwell for the loss, but it happened to be his worst game as a Pat. No one shined in the 2nd half. Play calling tightened up, the running game was haulted, and Indy took it to 'em, all over the field.

The defense allowed 30-some points. They were 'gassed' because they couldnt get off the field themsleves.
The offense did its part in building an almost insurmountable lead. NOw you are saying don't fault the defense for being incapable of stopping any single drive becuase the offense should have scored 50?

Every team has deficiencies. Every team cannot fill every deficiency with superstars. The NFL is a league where JAG play a lot on every team.

Thats not true. What is true is that fans think an average starter is a JAG. Average NFL starters are really tough to find.

Guys like James Sanders and Nick Kazcur are average starters, and thats worth something.

Yeah, a defense that was 26th in Red Zone scoring and 30th in 3rd conversions last year...no worries...but no sacks

Are we playing the same players?
Or did we totally revamp the corner position? Did we draft a safety, dl, corner in the 2nd round?
Will we have 1 and maybe 2 new starting LBs?

We also were 8th in points, 11th in pass D and 10th in total D.
I guess we should get 11 new guys instead of addressing the areas of concern.

Or do you think that BB feels LB is a major problem area and has decided that it would be fun to ignore it and see what happens?

Yes, with a large percentage of them being scored as a direct result of the defense or special teams.

From 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter, the Patriots only had one offensive drive of longer than 35 yards. They did not have a single offensive posession in the 2nd half that went for longer than 2:44.

The defense was sick (the flu), and tired, and if the offense could have put together one single drive, they win that game.

Ok, arguing this is a waste of time. You KNOW the defense blew it and you're still blaming the offense. If you want to be that deliberately silly, that's on you.

Thats not true. What is true is that fans think an average starter is a JAG. Average NFL starters are really tough to find.

Guys like James Sanders and Nick Kazcur are average starters, and thats worth something.

OK, let me get this straight. I said every team has JAGS play a lot, and you said thats wrong, then said every team has average starters, which is basically the definition of JAG.
Got it.

The defense allowed 30-some points. They were 'gassed' because they couldnt get off the field themsleves.
The offense did its part in building an almost insurmountable lead. NOw you are saying don't fault the defense for being incapable of stopping any single drive becuase the offense should have scored 50?

The defense scored 7 points directly. The special teams scored a second touchdown by putting the ball on the opponents 20 yard line. The offense scored a total of 24 points against a terrible defense during a fast paced game.

I don't expect the offense to score 50 points. I expect them to get a handful of first downs in the 2nd half. The defense held the colts to much less than their average yards per play, and Peyton Manning had one of his worst games of the season as far as ratings go, but unfortunately, so did Brady.

I'm not defending anyone. And I never said don't fault the D. The entire team collapsed in the 2nd half.

OK, let me get this straight. I said every team has JAGS play a lot, and you said thats wrong, then said every team has average starters, which is basically the definition of JAG.
Got it.

No, average starter is not a JAG.

Jag means "JUST A GUY".

"JUST A GUY" means replacement level. Average is not replacement level.

Average and replacement level are two entirely different things. JAGs are guys who can be replaced by street free agents with no decline in performance. Deltha o'neil was a JAG.

Last edited:
Ok, arguing this is a waste of time. You KNOW the defense blew it and you're still blaming the offense. If you want to be that deliberately silly, that's on you.

Come on the defense had the flu. I think the sun was in their eyes and the crowd noise pumped into the dome distracted them too. That 3 TD lead at halftime just wasn't enough, the offense should have known that the defense was just trying to let some clock run off while allowing the Colts to move up and down the field, and scored more. How can you blame the D when the O didnt even score 80 points or have 50 minutes t.o.p.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes