Welcome to PatsFans.com

Amish School Massacre and the Media

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 2, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +923 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Why can't we have a healthy mix of reporting the news without making these lunatics into icons of the sick and deranged. When I heard this story, I wondered how much last weeks death of the girl at school gave this guy the courage to go forward.

I really don't expect to solve this problem ... just airing it out because it really sucks how much lunatics are media fodder to make $$$.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

I agree too bad the media doesn't have the self restraint to not report these events and give lunatics the hope of getting attention and getting famous. Any parent can imagine, but not understand the horror these parents are going through.
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I don't think this guy was any kind of copycat. This thing was brewing for years (20?) and he finally just flipped. The guy had 600 rounds. If he didn't do it today, he would have soon. I really don't have an answer. How do you combat a lunatic?
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +923 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I hate to say this but we have much to learn from al-Jazeera. They would paint this guy a lunatic or a hero and do it well. That's the problem, innocent until proven guilty means the media cannot portray monsters as monsters...they are always suspects and the suspects feast on that grey area.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -7

I wouldn't blame the media for this tragedy, but perhaps we should crack down on white men who seem to commit most of the serial and mass murders. Maybe we can use our new detention laws in this regard.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 2 / -9

The ACLU won't let you.