Welcome to PatsFans.com

Americans need to fight a VAT tax with everything we've got!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Even Fortune Magazine agrees! And like most Americans, I'm with them!

"The rub is that once a VAT becomes law, it's bound to grow far larger. And no country that has ever enacted a VAT has seen is repealed. "A VAT would permanently increase the size of government," says Foster. Indeed, it's been the engine that's raised government spending as a portion of national income, frequently to well over 50%, in every country that has one, from Germany to Japan.

Once the VAT gets its nose under the tent, the beast will follow."

Beware the VAT: Why the consumption tax is possible - Aug. 11, 2010

Very interesting (and complicated) article to read....scares the poop outta ya too!
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

It won't happen. The American people won't allow it.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

If the dems retain congress this will be a done deal. If the dems lose congress, they will use the 'recommendation' of the deficit commission and ram it through during a lame duck session.

I have been predicting they would do this since BO was elected.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

Yawn.

So what new tax or hike to existing tax rates would you prefer?
  5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +93 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

I thought the same thing about Obamacare and look what happened.

The King knows what is better for you than you do.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Co-sign. If He wants it passed, it'll pass. And in Sorteroland the means always justifies the end unfortunately. Whether by strong-arming Chi-town style or burying it in some 5000 page bill that nobody gets to read til it's passed (that one was classic), somehow the last vestiges of America's wealth WILL be taken. Let's just hope there are enough good people left in our govt houses to nip it in the bud. ugh:mad: The inmates are running the prison.
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

This admin and congress can barely get things through that are more important to Obama and less controversial. No way a VAT gets passed.

(Funny, though, how all the wailing about will of the people and strongarming just changes by party with each new administration. It's nothing new, but I'm not sure either party actually gives a sh*t about the country.)
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +573 / 2 / -9

Barack Hussein Obama:
    America slobbered, America fawned and gushed over him, America became sexually aroused at the sound of his voice, democrats fainted when he blew his nose, America marveled at his beautiful smile, they came to his Coronation, they openly weeped, finally they have their Prince but most important of all The Left Wing Liberal Do-Gooders Now Have Their Poster Boy.

Now their Prince sticks it up their a$s everyday.
    America Wanted Jug Ears Now They Have Him
    LIVE WITH IT AND GOD HELP US

:bricks:
  9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

Sadly, better than what preceded him ("a guy I'd like to have a beer with") and the alternative we were given (puppet-like self-proclaimed maverick)

------------------

but what does Obama have to do with a VAT?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

The most intelligent & insightful post I've read here in a long time!
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

How bout cutting goverment useless jobs and spending for example:

Cut the Deficit by Cutting Useless ‘Services’ | MND: Your Daily Dose of Counter-Theory

[/quote]I was shocked at the reported differences; $78,901 a year in wages and salary versus $50,111 in the private sector; $111,015 a year versus $60,078 when pension and other benefits are included. But I was equally underwhelmed by the projected $47 billion a year savings from a freeze, and disappointed that Republicans would favor allowing the disparity in pay “until the private sector begins to catch up”.

While we’re on the subject of government employees, I think it worth mentioning that the last I heard, the government child support collection system had more than 80,000 employees. Despite confusing rhetoric from both parties, there has been no change in the percent child support paid of what is owed in the three decades since the federal program began. So, that’s 80,000 government employees or so, on the public payroll, making more than their private sector counterparts, for doing absolutely nothing useful for anyone.

[/quote]

Start here cutting jobs and spending. I would also propose a 4 year freeze on government pay to give the private sector workers a chance to keep up.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

I was shocked at the reported differences; $78,901 a year in wages and salary versus $50,111 in the private sector; $111,015 a year versus $60,078 when pension and other benefits are included. But I was equally underwhelmed by the projected $47 billion a year savings from a freeze, and disappointed that Republicans would favor allowing the disparity in pay “until the private sector begins to catch up”.

While we’re on the subject of government employees, I think it worth mentioning that the last I heard, the government child support collection system had more than 80,000 employees. Despite confusing rhetoric from both parties, there has been no change in the percent child support paid of what is owed in the three decades since the federal program began. So, that’s 80,000 government employees or so, on the public payroll, making more than their private sector counterparts, for doing absolutely nothing useful for anyone.

[/quote]

Start here cutting jobs and spending. I would also propose a 4 year freeze on government pay to give the private sector workers a chance to keep up.[/QUOTE]

That's a drop in the bucket.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

Start here cutting jobs and spending. I would also propose a 4 year freeze on government pay to give the private sector workers a chance to keep up.[/QUOTE]

That's a drop in the bucket.[/QUOTE]

Better than the continued spending you would do with the higher taxes, but you are right it is a start though far more jobs to cut among gov employees.
  14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

I missed why collecting child support is a useless endeavor.

Are you guys deadbeat dads, or do you just want them to get away with it?

To a single mother, I would think that collecting child support is quite useful.

Also, please provide the private-sector child support pay data to which you are comparing these wages.

Oh, and then wail and gnash your teeth some more, by all means. And bow to your corporate masters when you pass them on the street, of course, when you're done doing their bidding and blaming everybody but them for tanking the country's economy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you are so envious of government employees, apply for a government job. Nobody was envious when the private sector was going great guns... now suddenly they are. Curious.

PFnV
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

The rate of collections is the same as it was before this massive waste of money hiring people who have made no difference.

See libs count good intentions the same as results, conservatives look at the reality of the results rather wasting money on good intentions that accomplish nothing.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

Because a blogger said so?

Where's the data drawn from? Where are the links to the data? What means this "despite confusing rhetoric"...?

Seems like he's peddling opinion.

ACF Office of Public Affairs (OPA): Fact Sheet - Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE)

Seems like if they establish/acknowledge 1.7 million paternities and 1.2 million new support orders in one year, they actually have something to do.

But then I am sure you actually have detailed data for the rate of child support payment, using one measure (relative percentage collected,) and you can give us links to that measure.

Unless of course it's an opinion that makes righties feel good, but with absolutely no factual basis.

(It's not like we haven't seen those before.)
  17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

really... like the drug war?
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

PFiVA...no one is envious. Taxpayers are the EMPLOYERS in the case of gov't workers. So when we see such appalling statistics, we get angry about it.

If private sector workers "bow to their corp. masters" (how childish), then who do gov't workers "bow to"? Certainly not the taxpayers (as they should be).

In the end brother, we're all bowing to someone when it comes to our jobs...UNLESS, you own your own business!!
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

You're right, they are both ineffective and a waste of taxpayer's money. But how is that a GOOD point Chico?

All you did by making this statement is illustrate ANOTHER example of wasteful spending.

Let's get rid of both endeavors.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010