Welcome to PatsFans.com

American 's average IQ is 98, Ranks 18th in the World

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Mar 27, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Now this explains a lot the average is 100 so the USA with the best college system in the World can only hit 98. And some people don't want to spend money on secondary schooling.

I originally ha no intention of making this aa political hot potato, but he first link i hit on Goggle gave me this. I thought it was kind of interesting.
    Average IQ Of 98

The front page of the Daily Mirror in London announced the re-election of George W. Bush with the question: “How Can 59,054,087 People Be So Dumb?”

Is it true? Just how intelligent are Americans?

Essays and books have been written in recent years concerning what many educators and intellectuals believe has been a deliberate “dumbing down of America,” but until the election, and a published study of average intelligence of Americans by state, I think I didn’t really believe the problem was as severe as it is.

There recently appeared a chart that indicated an average intelligence quote per state that claims the states with people of lower average IQ chose Bush. The states with higher average IQs leaned toward Kerry. It claimed that the average IQ in America is 98, far lower than I realized.

Was the data on the chart accurate?

From IQ data taken from a book by university professors Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen called “IQ and the Wealth of Nations” and a website that showed IQ data calculated from state SAT and ACT scores, there is an indication that this, indeed, is the average level of intellect in the US.

The latter chart offered a breakdown that correlated IQs and incomes in each state, but someone took the trouble since the election to tag on how the state voted for the two presidential candidates. Thus we have a chart with a relatively correct assessment of average intellect of the voters by each state.

It seems that the smartest people in the nation live in New Hampshire, where they score at 104, and Oregon, Massachusetts and Wisconsin, where they test average at 103. All four states, by the way, supported Kerry. continuedThe lowest IQ scores were rated at 94 in both Mississippi and South Carolina. These states both went for Bush.continued......

Funny the suff you can find on THE GOGGLE.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Re: Average IQ of 98 Yes World, American Voters Are Really Dumb

Nothing like falling for a hoax:

Average IQ by State: Honest Numbers at Last

Maybe it's just that people with lower IQ scores fall for this crapl

3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I just heard about the average American IQ was 98 about two weeks ago. So i went to the Goggle and hit the first site and this is what came up. So maybe yes maybe no to the hoax part. I was initially not going to make it a political thing until i read this. So now i'll go back and reasearch some more if i'm wrong i'll come back and say so. Unlike some chicken sh!t posters with fragile egos.

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

What is the average American IQ?
    In: IQ [Edit categories] [Edit]

98 is the average, were are ranked 18th in the national ranking for average IQ behind almost every major Asian and European country. So yes the ave. IQ is 98 according to Wikipedia.

As far as finding out if the political part is correct I will NOT take the word of a neo-con web site. This morning i ended up on a liberal one (Gun totin Liberals) it was as bad as the neocons are.

IJ, do NOT try to back up your arguments with obviously biased web sites when trying to convince me. Give me something MAIN STREAM. I wouldn't send you to Mother Jones or Gun totin Liberals, I wouldn't expect you to believe them.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

So now your conclusion is the country is smarter because Obama was elected right ? You know what they say about stats. They lie. And only a fool believes everything can be explained by statistics. Congratulations on trying to explain something as complex as a Presidential election with one, single statistic. You, my friend, are the fool.

6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

No just that we are dumb as a nation...fool The political part was a bonus, just for you. ;)

See post #3

7. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Let's point out a few fairly obvious things here:

Did you read how they determined IQ? They infer IQ from SAT scores, then adjust the IQs DOWN to account for the fact that not every HS student takes the SAT. In fact in almost half the states (22 out of 50) the IQ results are considered unreliable even by the idiots who did the study because less than 20% of the kids took the SAT.

Bottom line is that the numbers are based on multiple faulty premises:
    That SAT accurately measures IQ.
    That the sample set of SAT test takers is basically representative of the population as a whole.
    That the IQ of high school juniors is equivalent to the voting populace in general.
    That IQs should be adjusted DOWN because only the smart kids take the SAT.
    That there is a statistical significance between the resulting data (do YOU see any standard deviations here?). In other words an IQ of 104 using this garbage is really statistically different from an IQ of 94.

This study is a complete waste of time, created to make a bogus political point, and propagated by fools too hurried to reaffirm their assumptions to bother to actually consider how the data was (or was not) collected.

Now check out this gem from the link you posted:

"17 of the 35 states averaging an IQ of 100 or more voted for Kerry. "

Anyone want to do some tough math here? If 35 states scored above average, and 17 of them went to Kerry, how many went to Bush? 35-17 = 18. So of the supposed "above average" states, MORE WENT TO BUSH!!! And this somehow proves the thesis that smart Americans voted for Kerry or Gore, and the dummies voted for Bush?!? It reminds me of Mr Burns saying about the Harvard football team against his beloved Yale "I don't know why they even show up, they barely even won."

Also the IQ scale is designed for 100 to be the average in the US. Let's ignore for a second the complete lack of scientific rigor in coming up with these numbers and assume 98 is correct. Doesn't that mean the average intelligence in the USA based on IQ is... AVERAGE? Unless you want to tell me that 98 is statistically different from 100. Have 1 person take 10 different IQ tests and see what the range is.

So I did some more digging and I found a link to a peer reviewed article about this topic that reports a similar trend using other test scores. Even this one is crap though as it uses a standard test only offered in public schools, and that test has a standard deviation of 15 points. That means they are trying to make conclusions based on a test where a 15% difference in performance is statistically insignificant. If we apply that same metric to the data in the table, it would mean an IQ of 100 is average with a range from 92.5 to 107.5. In other words you can't differentiate between IQ of 92.5 and IQ of 107.5 based on this data, as far as I can tell from a quick look.

here's the link to the paper:
    http://www.people.vcu.edu/~mamcdani/Publications/McDaniel (2006) Estimating state IQ.pdf

8. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

One other thing, the numbers are based on scores from people who haven't entered college yet.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I really don't believe in IQ tsts in general. No matter how hard they try they can't make one thats not biased in one way or another. But if there taken as SOP for economists, professors etc. I'll use them.

I wish i could define what intelligence really is. For ex. I have a very good long term memory almost all the stuff i post is from memory. I'm good at remembering unusual things and am good at trivial pursuit. But does that make me smart .......NO I don't think so. I can also take something i remembered an use it to explain or understand something totally different such as useing physiology to explain how an automobile engine works. Is that intelligence maybe.

Heres a real life ex. I took an IQ test many years ago I scored (im proud of this) 180 in reading and comprehension, and in the 150's in general on the other parts of the verbal section.

On the performance side i scored in the 70's, the 70's overal and in one test a 60 something.(thats deep into MR territory) They told me that i could never do anything mechanical even though i was a pretty good car mechanic. And what am i doing now? I'm in a mechanical field, and did very well in school. So so much for IQ tests.

Going back and looking at your post how can a test with a standard deviation of 15 be considered usefull, when just a few points in a test such as this is considered crucial. Again i don't believe in IQ test but if an argument is based on one i can only go by that.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I don't doubt that, there are a lot of stupid people in this country. And I daresay that most of them vote Democrat; but the D/R IQ is evened out by so many "intellectuals" voting D.

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Yeah and they would say the same about neo's. It like the phrase "Good always Triumphs over Evil" its true, the side that wins always thinks they are on the side of good and the other evil.
    Take the Vietman war we thought we were on the side of good because we were fighting communism. On the other hand the N Vietnamise thought they're fight was the good fight because they were repeling an invader.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Not sure what your point is but I'd bet 75% or so of low IQ people vote (D) - in fact that's a large part of the (D) base. Disagree if you like, but that's how I see it.

13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

What was my point, that liberals would say neo cons were the dumb ones. That both sides think that they are right and their the side thats good, and vica versa so who ever wins they were on the side of right.
    As far as the voting goes I know the red states which voted for Bush had/have lower scores in school. Miss. AL. Tx. Lousiana, S Carolina, Georgia ETC.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

And the parts of CA (that's where I live so I know more about it) that vote (R) get far higher test scores than the dummies who live in the city and vote (D).

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

What Stokes said.

Plus, an entire state doesn't elect a politician. Voters inside that state do. So where'd Massachusetts rank again? :D

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I would believe that, i never said ALL republicans were dumb,and ALL liberals are smart. I doubt the Pubs out in Kansas test as high as the ones where you live, they most likely score the same as the inner city near where you live. I figure you must live near LA or SD.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I live in the middle of the desert.

18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I agree we need to step up and revamp our educational system. but I also think this is a ridiculous notion. Who did this study? How were people chosen? I have a sister and 2 brothers and I know none of us score under 125. And we're pretty average people with average (college grad) educations.

19. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Intelligence<Making good decisions

Some of the smartest ppl on earth are <D> and some of the smartest are<R> but both of them make stupid mistakes all the time, the reason we are in this mess in the US is cause of smart ppl(that are greedy) smart ppl run our goverment see where that got us???

Some of the best ppl in the world are not that smart, having a high IQ is a good thing but its not the determining factor when it comes to who makes good decisions.

What it boils down to is how well you retain information, that dose not make you smart.....imo

20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I didn't read all of stokes major post,but i did get the gist of it i think. And i would agree with him. But if the only way to quantify is to use an IQ test then thats what we have to use i guess until someone figures out a better way to quantify the idea of intelligence. According to the IQ test I took i shouldn't be able to put a nut on a bolt and the base of knowlage i use is mechanical engineering. :confused:

Maybe you should move to NH they're suppose to be the smartest.