Welcome to PatsFans.com

American History X (The Social Signifigance of American politics/ views

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by TheSolderKing, Nov 2, 2011.

1. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

American History X is a FANTASTIC movie that brings up Issues that we are polarized about in American Politics. I'm going to post some clips for you all. I doubt some of you old-timers have yet to see this movie. (you can read about the synopsis, but in short is is a movie about a Neo-Nazi who essentially changes his old destructive ways after surviving through Prison and the awful experiences he had. A Black teacher who he once had is a big supporter of this guy and he wants to help Derrek out of his past situation and prevent the same path derrek's younger brother is currently heading down.

Old movie--- but 1 if my FAVORITES

American History X (1998) - IMDb

*some scenes may appear very racist, but proceed at your own risk.*
    Listen to some of the interaction and speeches. DEEP ISSUES we

American History X speech - YouTube

American History X - Dinner Scene (with subtitles) - YouTube

Has anything you've done made your life better? - YouTube (Teacher Jail Scene)

American History X - Affirmative Black Action - YouTube "affirmative Blackaction"

sooooo many good scenes (the movie Flashes Back OFTEN

Watch these Clips

WATCH THE MOVIE:)
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

3. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

THNX soooooo much I haven't seen this movie yet. Mike you are awesome!!!

Nortan is such an excellent actor:):):)
  4. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

HarryBoy you need to see this film... I doubt you have:eek:
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was a decent movie, despite the underlying political agenda contained within. Edward Norton is, IMHO, one of the best actors in Hollywood and I believe this was his first lead role. Edward Furlong was way out of his league.

I really don't like black and white so that brings it down a few notches in my eyes even though only the flashbacks were B&W. I know the director is trying to portray things artistically as more gritty and realistic by doing that, but it just rubs me the wrong way. B&W is fine when I'm watching Casablanca, not so much when I'm watching a movie made in the past 50 years.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

Yeah, gotta hate a "political agenda" that portrays skinheads, violence and ignorance in a negative light...

-------

TSK: good movie, not great, imo. Pretty predictable. But Norton is good.

The curb scene was pretty disturbing when I first saw the movie :)
  7. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought it was very well done.

take a look how it ranks w/ in the top 250 films # (36) I Believe (This is PUBLIC Opinion) The overall list is very impressive.

IMDb Top 250
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

An individual that I have on ignore made a phenomenally ignorant comment (as he usually does) which I feel needs to be addressed. (The whole point of the ignore feature is, as the name suggests, you get to ignore someone but obviously some of their posts get through when those posts are quoted by people you don't have on ignore).

As any reasonably intelligent 10 year old could see, there is a blatent political agenda by the makers of this movie to tie mainstream conservative politics to the actions of the extremist hate-group portrayed in the film. The above YouTube video "The Speech" is a perfect example of this.

The underlying message is that "people who believe these things are hateful white supremacist nazi skinheads." But fact is that just about everything he says in that speech is 100% right on. I don't think there's room for that speech in civilized discourse based on the way he says it, but the message itself is pretty darn accurate.

There is a clear, blatent attempt to tie mainstream conservatism to hate groups. I'm not surprised one of the more simple minded people in here can't see that.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

so what is the big deal? I thought using a hate group such as the Neo-Nazi's was a great move. Derrek was the big figurehead for this faction. Everything is politics dude. Prison changed Derrek (ever since that raping in the shower) he sustained. We have a prominent Neo-Nazi that in a period of 3.5 yrs changes completely and much of that has to do w/ his Black Teacher and the black inmate he befriends (that keeps him alive by putting in a good word for him).

The movie is 100% accurate w/ the issues about illegals, and the issues about color (the Rodney King thing is a scary truth in the world we live in [Cops getting called out for excessive force [and ppl like the famed King getting off lightly w/ a huge crime b/c of a socioeconomic status that is very high) ;it is 100% accurate and you have to point a finger at me and yell politics? What is the Big Deal if this movie uses a Right Wing attitude/ scenes to convey its message?

Why do you think I posted the speeches?.. many of them have content within them that hugely relate to our split minded society.:eek:

Everytime I Watch This I Want To Cry(American History X Scene) - YouTube

WOLFPACK... have you even watched the movie or are you making an interpretation from the scenes that I posted???
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've seen the movie several times. The American History X blu ray is literally within 3 feet of me right now as I type this post. I didn't even watch the scenes you posted because there's nothing in any of them that I am not already quite familiar with (all I did was click on the link labelled "The Speech" to verify it was the scene I expected it would be). What, do you think I gave a personal review of a movie that I've never seen?

There's no doubt in my mind that the producers of this movie made a deliberate attempt to associate the actions of an extremist hate group with the political beliefs of mainstream conservatives. The message is clear: People who believe Derek's message about immigration and race are violent, lawless, neo-nazi hate mongerers.

The speech he gives in the parking lot of the supermarket is something which, if you take away the vulgar language and slurs, you could hear at a political rally. Don't insult our intelligence by trying to tell us there isn't any intent to associate conservative beliefs with racial hate mongering and violence. What's especially noteworthy is this movie was made ~15 years ago. It's amazing how much more true those words are today.
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

Like I said, I think it's good.

I just didn't think it held up so well on a second viewing, after several years --- kind of like Boyz n the Hood, just in my opinion. Both seemed very good when viewed the first time. When viewed a 2nd time, years later, good, but just not quite so much.
  12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

Ah, the rantings of probably the forum's 2nd most attention-needy poster, with his usual personal attacks and persecution complex.

I understand, you feel bad that the murderous skinhead is portrayed in a bad light, until he recognizes that racism and violence aren't really good things.

Now, unlike you, some people understand that not everything a person -- even a skinhead -- says or believes is necessarily wrong or evil. But I guess that folks like wolfie, who only see in black and white (no pun intended), just assume that other people can only see in black and white, too. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising.
  13. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know... Derek's message though if you are a follower of him you are racist... I believe in a few of these situations eg. like w/ Rodney King/cops and I really hate the illegal situation in this country. Many illegals come here and get BENEFITS/checks and IA's some get arrested so we go through all this judicial nonsense that costs taxpayer's $$$
    on people that shouldn't be here.

the excessive force dinner speech was the amusing liberal v. Conservative That entire Dinner scene was Conservative v. Liberal. "The police clubbing of King was too extreme" <--(liberalness) I don't need to connect the dots for you.

I am 25 soon so I probably saw this movie when I was 15 or 16. It was 10 years since I saw this movie until I found this GEM a week ago in the SuperWalmart 5 dollar DVD Bin.:):D:)
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

People who are overly sensitive about their narrow worldview would probably view that scene as a "political agenda" against libruls, anti-Semitic (boyfriend is Jewish) and misogynistic (mother is weak)... :)

By the way, a likely reason for that scene was to portray Norton's character as intelligent, helping demonstrate one of the reasons he was a leader and one of the reasons why he subsequently changed his point of view. His fat racist friend, otoh, wouldn't have been very convincing in a story of redemption.