Welcome to PatsFans.com

American Flag Deemed Offensive in California

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, May 6, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can't make this up folks. A couple students were sent home for wearing American flag imagery on "Cinco de Mayo" because of how much it was offending the Mexicans at the school.

My favorite part is how some p.o.s. talks about how offended she was by someone wearing the American flag. Maybe the d.b. should go back where she came from if she hates America so much.

BTW, where's the ACLU? Aren't they always first in line when schools try to create some sort of dress code? Anyway, I am sure this forum's liberals will now show up to defend the decision to send those students home and threaten them with suspension, so have at it folks!

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees | NBC Bay Area

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Not "having at it" at all WP.....the kids had as much right to wear the American flag as they had to wear anything else they wanted to wear on Cinco de Mayo day or any other day.

Hopefully the ACLU will step up to the plate....we'll see, I suppose.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -4

Reminds me of the time several years ago when the US lost Iran in soccer, and there were "Persians" driving around LA with flags waving, honking their horns, etc.

Let's see... if you returned to Iran you'd probably be imprisoned or killed, and here you're living in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and driving convertible BMWs and Mercedes... yeah, I know what country I'd root for.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

How to step up to the plate MrsP! I mean that. :rocker:
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -2

This is simply outrageous. This is why we need to start deporting people ASAP. It's America FIRST! Anyone feeling "disrespected" by the sight, or appearance, of an AMERICAN flag, inside AMERICA, needs to get the **** out. This is what happens when you coddle people, or are overrun and invaded by foreignors, who have no regard for our nation, our culture, and our heritage.

6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The school district disagreed with how Live Oaks handled it and the boys will not be suspended. Still it's ridiculous that it ever came to that point.

Lots of people in this country celebrate Cinco and they have fun doing it.

The fun is gone apparently, especially in NYC. A bit OT from the thread but on the topic in a more general sense: Cinco De Mayo Bar Brawl On Long Island

Cinco De Mayo Bar Brawl On Long Island
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I had a great Cinco de Mayo party a few years back... Dos Equis in the kegerator, sombreros, margaritas, pink tacos (we soaked the tortillas in red food coloring) and a pinata of Osama bin Laden. Most of the attendees were of European descent.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cinco de Mayo is a joke. It is nothing more than a "holiday" overly promoted by American beer companies to sell beer and give people an excuse to drink and party. It isn't even celebrated in Mexico. Their Indepedence Day is September 16.
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1 +1 +1. Unfortunately I think we have passed the point of no return and lost our country.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +534 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And this is where we part company - when one of us starts getting into extremist language.

What leads you to believe that the girl who dared to speak her mind wasn't an American citizen, RW? What makes you think she wasn't born here just like you and I? As an American citizen or even as a legal alien, this girl is as entitled to her view as you are to your's and I am to mine. She's as entitled to think everyone should be Mexican on Cinco de Mayo as I am to think that everyone is an honorary Irishman on St. Patrick's Day. I certainly wouldn't expect to be deported for saying so. Nor should I. Nor will I ever be - because this is, as you say, America, where we are all guarenteed the right to free speech no matter how distasteful it may sound to someone else.

Was she wrong to feel the way she did? Probably, yes. But last I heard being wrong about something wasn't grounds for deportation. People get carried away on holidays which are special to them - they say things without thinking, they are ruled by emotion rather than logic. Have you never seen a fight break out on St. Paddy's Day? Have you ever taken part in a conversation about Christmas with someone who felt that it was a highly overrated holiday and they, as non-Christians, resented being expected to say "Merry Christmas" 100 times a day? Are they wrong? I'm sure you think they are - but would you call for them to be deported because of it?

As for America "being overrun and invaded by foreigners," well, duh!!! Are you really so dim as to think our main population consists of American Indians? Because face it, like it or not, we are ALL foreigners or descendants of foreigners.

That's an idea you've really got to get over.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

The same type of people did it right after 9/11 they said singing God Bless America offended Arab Muslim Americans.

If anything American offends immigrants from another country then they should return to their native land, in other words 'go the f-ck home and stay there"
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, that's not entirely true. I don't know the specifics of this particular girl, but as far as legal immigrants are concerned, they have to take the Oath of Citizenship - which is something that natural born Americans do not have to do. New citizens have to swear true faith and allegiance to the United States.

IMHO, if an immigrant citizen demonstrates by his or her actions that they are violating their Oath, they should be subject to having their citizenship revoked.
    I know you love to do research, so here's a project for you. Please find me a single example of an Irish group or Irish-Americans who were offended by the American flag on St. Patrick's Day.
    Since you are so fond of using St. Patrick's Day as your example, I look forward to providing me an example of what I requested above. TIA.
    My ancestors came to this country and embraced this land because they knew it was the land of freedom and opportunity. They were already in love with America before they even arrived. They didn't come here expecting a free government hand out, and they didn't trash the American flag or insist others stop honoring America.
  13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The trolling is strong in this post. It is no more of a joke than any other holiday celebrated in the US from this perspective. But at the end of the day you have no place to tell Mexicans that they shouldn't celebrate an important victory over the French. Sh1t, every culture celebrates important victories. :ugh:
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ha ha - the right wing authoritarian knows what's best for other American citizens doesn't he? Ha ha.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's my point, Sherlock. Mexicans don't celebrate it. In Mexico, it's essentially just another day.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I gave my opinion. If you want to side with the Mexicans who come to our land and despise our national symbols (and national identity) then you know what they say about when you lay with dogs.

EDIT: I would like to apologize to dogs everywhere for comparing them to these America-hating immigrants. Dogs do not deserve to be insulted in such a way.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +534 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And a teenaged girl who felt "disrespected" is in violation of her oath? (Which, as you point out, we don't even know if she was required to take.)
    As I said earlier, I don't agree with what she said - but that doesn't mean she didn't have a right to say it.

Where did I say that they were offended by a flag? No where, I don't think. What I said was that they were a pugnacious group - and still are, for that matter. They are quick to put up fists when their heritage is questioned. It was true when they first came over and, as my three sons will attest, they are still quick two or three generations later. They embraced their Americanism but they never rejected their Irishness, either. Which is pretty much what the majority of Hispanics are also asking to do, I think.

The Irish were never quietly assimilated, you know. They fought long and hard for their rights here - much like the Hispanics of today are doing. And they often fought violently....if you don't think so, read up on the Molly McGuires. Twice the Irish tried to invade Canada. They rioted in the streets for three days after a lottery was held for the draft in the civil war and they felt the Irish were an unfair majority of "winners." When the Irish felt they were being exploited by factory owners or businesses they broke into their homes and killed them - not something you hear about alot of Hispanics doing nowdays.

The following is interesting in relation to the "send them home" cries of today in regards to Hispanics.

The Chicago Post wrote, "The Irish fill our prisons, our poor houses...Scratch a convict or a pauper, and the chances are that you tickle the skin of an Irish Catholic. Putting them on a boat and sending them home would end crime in this country."

Instead of apologizing for themselves they united and took offense. Insult or intimidation was often met with violence. Solidarity was their strength, they helped each other survive city life. They prayed and drank together.

Irish Immigrants in America during the 19th Century

With all due respect, WP, we have no idea if this one young girl is expecting a free government hand-out - nor did she trash the American flag in any way, shape or form nor did she insist that others stop honoring America. She simply said she felt "disrespected."

She needs a civics lesson - not deportation.
  18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ha ha - who lives on whose land? Authoritarianism tends to crumble easily under even the simplest examinations.
    Mexican?American War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ha ha - oh yes, they all hate America, don't they? Other than the fact that a lot of Mexicans are extremely cool and hard-working people who enjoy living in this country. Life must be grand in your simplistic world! But what happens when you go outside?
  19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wolfpack is a giant troll. Trolly trolly troll troll.
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -2

Where did I say the girl was an illegal? :confused:

[​IMG]

Oh, that's right. I didn't. :rolleyes:

No one said she isn't.

Absolutely. She's entitled to think that way, but she should never expect it to be true. Like she, I am also entitled to think she's a moron, and find her words insulting.

Reading is fundamental. You shouldn't assume, or put words and points where they never existed. I want illegals deported. PERIOD. Nothing more, nothing less.

No ****. Being I-L-L-E-G-A-L is grounds for deportation. Reading is fundamental.

Reading is fundamental.

Well duuuuh, I'm a first generation American you tard. I love how some people assume they know everything. Virtually no one in my family was born in this country. What do they all have in common though? THEY ALL CAME HERE LEGALLY. All my relatives, hate the fact that people walk over here illegally, and demand to stay. My family was separated for years during the process. It was the price you paid for wanting to come here. I have no problem with LEGAL immigration, just as most others don't. What I have a problem with, is the massive invasion of undocumented, illegal invaders from the 3rd world. Immigration should be legal, documented, regulated, and controlled. We don't even know who the F is here.