Welcome to PatsFans.com

America will end on October 17 at 9:35 a.m.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Zuma, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Zuma

Zuma Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On Tuesday, October 17, at 9:35 a.m., George W. Bush will sign the Military Commissions Act and abolish some very important rights that our founding fathers had placed at the heart of our democracy.

Thereafter, Bush and his agents will have the power to arbitrarily decide that you may be a threat to this nation. They can then lock you up and throw away the key. They don't have to tell you why you're being detained.

They can torture you, as long as they don't call it that. They don't have to reveal whatever evidence they might have against you, so there is no way that you'll ever be able to dispute that secret evidence or prove your innocence. You're at their mercy.

This sounds like the kind of thing that goes on in brutal third-world dictatorships. But soon it will be the new American way. Its a sad day but the fact is 100% true. The act gets signed by Bush Tuesday morning. God bless us all and hang on to your helmets and hats!

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

First thing tomorow, I buy as much stock in companies that provide IP ghosting services as my bank account will allow.

3. Sir Otilc

Sir Otilc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Damn, right in the middle of The Price is Right.

[​IMG]

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Is this for REAL!?

I looked this bill up on wikipedia, and it explains that this bill abolishes habeus corpis, which prevents the unlawful imprisonment of people.

We're going back to the middle ages, the dark ages.

5. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Nice try. But I'm sure the NSA could get to the bottom of it if they want too. I'm sure this new act is a favorite with HarryBoy. If there's one thing he hates, it's dissent and freedom.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,799 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

If anyone (a lefty) in this forum dissappears ... we will know why?

But according to the bill we will not be able to help you.
    Because we will not know where you are.:eek:
    Say hello to Fidel for us ... if he can hear you.:eek:

So ... have a nice stay at the "G.W. HILTON" . :cool:

P.S> ... BTW ... don't be worried ... if you bashed Jesus
    he forgives and it's 1st and 10 all over again.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  7. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You could very easily merge this thread with the detention camps that are going to be built by KBR/Halliburton...

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +985 / 2 / -9

Just keep track of Cindy Sheehan, Alec Baldwin and Auntie Pelosi if they don't vanish than you have nothing to worry about.
    :bricks:

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I wonder if Blue Collar was an early victim? I bet they were testing out the system in advance of having the legal authority. Just remember You Tube=death.

10. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I hate to defend any police-state powers, but many of the provisions of this bill (like suspension of hebeas corpus) only apply to non-citizens.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +985 / 2 / -9

Oh My God
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes.

From the text of the Military Comission Act:
    Sec. 948c. Persons subject to military commissions
    Any alien unlawful enemy combatant is subject to trial by military commission under this chapter.

Sec. 948a. Definitions
    (3) Alien: The term `alien' means a person who is not a citizen of the United States.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I think we need to understand both sides of the arguement before we blanketly rush to judgement. Obviously there are issues regarding torture that need to be more specified, as do the questions surrounding detainment. I for one do not support physical abuse of detainees, but I do support coercive measures of interogation. Furthermore, I am opposed to indefinate detention without any form of due process. Here is an article detailing the pros of the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YWNlMjg3YWRlNmNjMTk0NDc1NzE0ZWI2YzBlOGRlNzU=

Excerpt:

AL QAEDA TERRORISTS HAVE NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS

First, Congress cannot “suspend†habeas corpus by denying it to people who have no right to it in the first place. The right against suspension of habeas corpus is found in the Constitution (art. I, 9). Constitutional rights belong only to Americans — that is, according to the Supreme Court, U.S. citizens and those aliens who, by lawfully weaving themselves into the fabric of our society, have become part of our national community (which is to say, lawful permanent resident aliens). To the contrary, aliens with no immigration status who are captured and held outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, and whose only connection to our country is to wage a barbaric war against it, do not have any rights, much less “basic rights,†under our Constitution.

Another Exceprt:

AL QAEDA TERRORISTS DO GET TO CHALLENGE THEIR DETENTION

But let’s ignore that the critics are wrong about the entitlement of al Qaeda terrorists to constitutional or treaty-based rights to habeas. There is an even more gaping hole in their attack on the new law. Congress has already given al Qaeda detainees the very rights the critics claim have been denied.

Last December, Congress enacted the Detainee Treatment Act (DTA). It requires that the military must grant each detainee a Combatant Status Review Tribunal (CSRT) at which to challenge his detention. Assuming the military’s CSRT process determines he is properly detained, the detainee then has a right to appeal to our civilian-justice system — specifically, to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. And if that appeal is unsuccessful, the terrorist may also seek certiorari review by the Supreme Court.

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Real World,

There's one disagreement between what the text of the new law says and what the article you provided alleges. Per the text of the law, any non-citizen, including legal permenant residents, would be subject to the act. There is no distinction among foreign aliens, temporary aliens, illegal aliens, or alien perm. residents.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

And your problem with that is?

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My problem with that is the credibility of the article.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Credibility? It's written by a former prosecuter. It cites legal specifics. I think your issue with it is due to its contrarian perspective. I think too many do not understand the specifics of issue.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't care if it's written by the ghost of Cheif Justice Earl Warren - the article is flat wrong in saying that the bill wouldn't strip habeas corpus rights from aleins because they never had those rights to begin with. As the article notes, Supreme Court precedent has recognized some civil rights (like the writ of habeas corpus) for legal permenant residents. This law does materially remove a right some people enjoyed.

No disagreement from me on the point that an alien captured overseas should not have ANY constutional rights.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +985 / 2 / -9

In The Absence Of Law And Order Society Will Surely Destroy Itself

Beware Smelly Muslim Terrorist, F-ck With America When Your In America And We Will Come Right Into Your Bedroom And Get You, In The Middle Of The Night You Rotten Diarrhea Bastards.
    :bricks:

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good, so the cameras can go in your house first.