PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a big problem with "confidence in the pocket issues" at the QB spot. I'm not sure that any receivers are going to flourish if the QB is as jittery as you describe. :)

It's a vicious cycle. The more the QB forces the ball to one or two receivers, the more defenses know they just have to double those two receivers and send the hounds after the QB. After a game with eight sacks and hits, the QB loses more "confidence". One way to break out of that rut would be some quick passes to Amendola and non-blinkie non-double teamed receivers. Another way is to take the ball out of the QBs hand and run the ball, which is what the Pats did yesterday.

But why would you have a QB go after other receivers when you have 2 stellar ones in Edelman and gronk? What we need to happen is have the oline fixed. It's not that amendola lost toms trust, but Tom
Doesn't have faith in his oline to get to dola on his reads. All this points towards is the oline is a very big weakness now and the offense won't see its top potential until they can get these guys on the right track.

Hopefully stork will start in several weeks getting the interior shored up, vollmer knocks the rust off, solder and cannon get used to each other on the left side. Once that happens; then I bet the offensive pass numbers grow

Agreed, and to complicate it further, with as much freedom as Tom has with the checks at the line, how often (if ever) does he change a play that is called with someone else as the first read, changing it to Gronk or Edelman. That would be interesting to know as well.

That would be a real window into how Brady feels about him, no question. We can look at the games, but we can't get into the heads of those involved. If this is just a Brady tune out, someone needs to tell him to get past it.

Brady himself in an interview today talked about how he needs to get Amendola, LaFell, and Wright specifically involved more in the passing game.

Brady himself in an interview today talked about how he needs to get Amendola, LaFell, and Wright specifically involved more in the passing game.

Brady says a lot of things. As with Belichick, the question is what he means, not what he says.

Brady says a lot of things. As with Belichick, the question is what he means, not what he says.

Brady usually comes off a little more honest in his assessments than does Belichick. He occasionally has the interview where he says nothing, but he's usually much more candid than the coach. I agree that he might not mean anything about it, but I tend to think he's right - they do need to spread the ball around more.

Brady usually comes off a little more honest in his assessments than does Belichick. He occasionally has the interview where he says nothing, but he's usually much more candid than the coach. I agree that he might not mean anything about it, but I tend to think he's right - they do need to spread the ball around more.

There's no question that they need to spread the ball around more. The question is why it's not already happening, beyond the OL issues. What are the percentages for

Players not getting open by the time Brady looks to them
Not enough plays called with the non-Edelman/Gronk pair as primary targets
Brady just not looking at the non-Edelman/Gronk pair

for example.

Brady can platitude reporters with the best of them (Bruschi).

But when Brady is being self-critical, I absolutely believe he is being utterly sincere.

I hope he means it - a big key to this offense is to have more than Gronk and JE as receiving threats. If they don't get the others involved, good defenses will close down air-Brady in short order.

I'd rather see a bunch of guys in the 50-catch range.

Edelman is so good that Im guessing he gets open almost every play. Brady might be waiting on it too long. But by watching Edelman longer than other receivers Brady is able to get him the ball when this inevitabley happens.

As for Gronk, it just wouldnt surprise me if forcing the ball to Gronk was part of the gameplan as far as getting the Gronk acclimated during his limited gametime snaps.

The fact Amendola is grouped with LaFell and Wright by Brady should be the biggest indication that Amendola is not doing what was expected of him when he signed. Amendola entered 2013 as the undisputed #1 WR on this team. By week 13, he was only coming on the field in 3-WR sets, and in the final 4 games of the season Brady targeted him just 18 times. Last season the reason for his failures was that his groin was injured or he was new in the offense, this season his failures are because Brady does not target him enough, the offensive line does not protect Brady long enough, or he gets plays taken away due to unmerited penalties. When does Amendola become responsible for Amendola’s failures? How long are certain posters going to continue to pass the buck to anyone other than Danny Amendola himself? Danny Amendola is becoming the Tim Tebow of the Patriots, a player who does nothing to merit any positive accolades but receives them, and who is never held accountable for his poor play.

Another commentary ignorant to how the passing game works.
What routes is Amendola running that he 'should get open fast enough that the OL doesn't matter"?
Brady doesn't 'not look someones way', we runs through progressions.
Amendolas targets are where they are because of:
1) Play calling with him lower in the progressions
2) Other receivers higher in the progressions getting open
3) Amendola not being open when the progression reaches him
4) The coverage being played by the opponent, which is a big factor in our play calling.

To pretend to know the order or magnitude of these without studying the playcall, progressions, coverage and routes is just making things up.
What number do you estimate Amendola is in Brady’s progression in most cases?

Although right now Amendola looks like a bad move, the Pats have replaced Welker. Whether they intended for him to be or not, Edelman is probably an upgrade from Welker.

The Amendola signing is looking like a bad move at this point since he hasn't done anything in two games this year. He might rebound. But I am done talking about Welker. He has been replaced even if it wasn't the way the Pats expected.

Where the Pats have failed to replace thus far is the other WR positions although I expect that Dobson will fill one of those roles when he gets back into game shape (people are letting Gronk ease back into the game, but many won't give Dobson the same latitude even though he had foot surgery).

Although right now Amendola looks like a bad move, the Pats have replaced Welker. Whether they intended for him to be or not, Edelman is probably an upgrade from Welker.

The Amendola signing is looking like a bad move at this point since he hasn't done anything in two games this year. He might rebound. But I am done talking about Welker. He has been replaced even if it wasn't the way the Pats expected.
QUOTE]

Giving it till the end of the year...but doesn't look good. But we have replaced Welker

What a refreshing topic...really...

It's a legit topic after yesterday (same with Wright, Gronk, Dobson, Lafell). I'm willing to bet that some person(s) I have on ignore is/are taking it way too far, though.

yes HE is

Amendola played 19 snaps and got thrown to twice.

What number do you estimate Amendola is in Brady’s progression in most cases?
You are joking right?
How would anyone know that without knowing which plays are called?

What a refreshing topic...really...

Agree completely. I hate the threads where someone with an agenda posts the same things over x1,000 ad nauseoum and refuses to shut up about it no matter many times they are asked to. Fortunately this isn't one of those kind if threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes