PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman also disappeared almost entirely for 2 months prior to Sunday night. There's a lot of recency bias in this thread.

Yeah, me too, and Wilfofrk and Vollmer, and Mayo, and Kelly too, they all suck. frigging belichcik, signing players who get injured. :mad:

WTF is he thinking???:mad:

A good GM would sign players who never get injured.:mad:

You're comparing Amendola to players who are injured reserve, Talib shutdown Thomas on a bad hip, Brandon Spikes led the team in tackles with a bad knee and Tom Brady played like a man possessed with two bad hands. Amendola may not be 100% but you cannot compare him to players who suffered season ending injuries. No disrespect but you're reaching on with those comparisons, lots of NFL players are on the field at less than 100% heck Dennard played less than a week removed from knee surgery, Vereen still has a cast on his arm and Gronkowski has had 5 operations in less than a year.

Edelman also disappeared almost entirely for 2 months prior to Sunday night. There's a lot of recency bias in this thread.

I see it more as idiocy than recency bias. Anyone who has followed this team for any amount of time knows that stats come and go for skill players based upon game plan, coverages, and game situations. Claiming that Amendola had a bad game based solely upon his receptions is fantasy analysis at its best, and another good example of why fantasy analysis has nothing to do with football analysis, and people make a serious mistake when they conflate them.

Beyond that the idea that a player is letting everyone down by being injured is as dumb as it gets. I was as big a Welker fan as they get because he was as tough and productive as a player can be, and i was quite honestly disgusted by the attacks on him in this forum, he deserved much better. Given that I have to say that I am not surprised by the attacks on Amendola because there is a significant contingent of fans here who only look at stats and base their entire outlook on the numbers and what have you done for me in the last 10 minutes, and they have little to no understanding of the big picture and how much any players production is based upon the support of the rest of their team. Had Amendola been taking penalties and dropping passes then i can see criticizing him for his performance Sunday night, but claiming he had a bad game because he didn't put up 10 catches for 100 yards is so myopic as to be laughable.

Disappeared almost entirely for 2 months? Prototypical fantasy football POV.

You're comparing Amendola to players who are injured reserve, Talib shutdown Thomas on a bad hip, Brandon Spikes led the team in tackles with a bad knee and Tom Brady played like a man possessed with two bad hands. Amendola may not be 100% but you cannot compare him to players who suffered season ending injuries. No disrespect but you're reaching on with those comparisons, lots of NFL players are on the field at less than 100% heck Dennard played less than a week removed from knee surgery, Vereen still has a cast on his arm and Gronkowski has had 5 operations in less than a year.

Amendola probably should have had his surgery and gone to IR, that he was willing to forego it and try to play through it is a great credit to his toughness, a concept you can't seem to grasp. If it weren't for Vereen getting seriously hurt in that game I am guessing they would have designated him for the in season IR.

Bottom line, you have an agenda against Amendola and have been taking idiotic shot after idiotic shot at him for months, even going so far as to blame him for getting a concussion. You have basically declared him a bust because he got injured during the first half of his first season with NE. It's pretty nauseating and tiresome. I know I'm sick of it. This is the second time this season where the team has won a big game and you pound away on Amendola for the week following, it makes me want to throw up.

I'm done with it.

Disappeared almost entirely for 2 months? Prototypical fantasy football POV.

Which is exactly his point. Brady6 is using fantasy analysis to crap on Amendola and primetime is pointing that out by using his binky to refute it.

Many folks here would have preferred that Amendola be put on IR, rather than playing at only at a diminished level, given his groin injury. Belichick thinks that it is still worth activating and playing Amendola, even at his current level of play.

Edelman is our #1 WR

Dobson/Thompkins are our #2 WR.

Amendola is a role player.

That works four me this year. We'll see where we are next year, and if Edelman is still here.
Always the overreactor I see.

Prior to Sunday night Edelman had caught 6 passes for 45 yards in the previous 3 games. (Equates to 32/240 over a full season) Going back to the previous 6 games 18 for 181 (48/483 over a full season).

I'm not sure taking one game by itself and ignoring at the others makes him the #1 WR.

Yeah, I agree. He wasn't playing nearly as well in recent games as he did in the first few and last night. No need for anyone to get upset or annoyed, though. We're all prisoners of the moment at times. It's just the nature of being a fan, I guess.

Amendola probably should have had his surgery and gone to IR, that he was willing to forego it and try to play through it is a great credit to his toughness, a concept you can't seem to grasp. If it weren't for Vereen getting seriously hurt in that game I am guessing they would have designated him for the in season IR.

Bottom line, you have an agenda against Amendola and have been taking idiotic shot after idiotic shot at him for months, even going so far as to blame him for getting a concussion. You have basically declared him a bust because he got injured during the first half of his first season with NE. It's pretty nauseating and tiresome. I know I'm sick of it. This is the second time this season where the team has won a big game and you pound away on Amendola for the week following, it makes me want to throw up.

I'm done with it.
Great points in your comment.

Yeah, I agree. He wasn't playing nearly as well in recent games as he did in the first few and last night. No need for anyone to get upset or annoyed, though. We're all prisoners of the moment at times. It's just the nature of being a fan, I guess.

I don't believe that it's a matter of "playing well, " I think it is a matter of opportunity. Other than Gronkowski the receivers get differing opportunities for big games depending upon gameplans, game situations, and coverages. Brady is back to the open man being his favorite receiver and who is going to be the option changes all the time.

Edelman’s disappearance coincided with Amendola’s return from injury at which time the team was likely attempting to work in their $5 million a year receiver over Edelman.

• Week 1 – 7 receptions, 79 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns; Aaron Dobson was out with a hamstring injury.
• Week 2 – 13 receptions, 78 receiving yards; Danny Amendola was out with a groin injury.
• Week 3 – 7 receptions, 44 receiving yards; Danny Amendola was out with a groin injury.
• Week 4 – 7 receptions, 118 receiving yards; Danny Amendola was out with a groin injury.
• Week 5 – 2 receptions, 35 receiving yards; Danny Amendola returned from his 3 game absences.
• Week 6 – 5 receptions, 57 receiving yards; 23 of Edelman’s receiving yards came after Amendola left with a head injury.
• Week 7 – 5 receptions, 44 receiving yards: Amendola was out with a head injury.
• Week 8 – 2 receptions, 7 receiving yards
• Week 9 – 1 reception, 11 receiving yards
• Week 11 – 3 receptions, 27 receiving yards

Edelman did not disappear he received less opportunity as they were trying to work Amendola in, on Sunday the coaches decided the receivers (Dobson and Amendola) who were the focus of the game plan in the first half were not doing their jobs so they turned to Edelman and Thompkins. Edelman stepped up and showed that as he did in Amendola’s absence that he is the more dynamic and effective slot receiver.

I'm done with it.

I don’t have any agenda against him man seriously; I just don’t think he is doing a good job. I want him to succeed but I am not going to defend him, Edelman has consistently been the better player this season and the more reliable one and for that reason I would prefer to see Julian continue to receive the starter reps over Danny. With a full offseason to recover me hope Danny can come in during 2014 and be a stud but if I was a betting man I would not wager on that happening.

I am not saying he is a bust Ivan, I am saying he is not Welker 2.0 he is a player that will have 3-4 excellent games a season if he plays 16 games and then be average or non-existent in the rest of the games, that is what he has been throughout his 4 year career and that is what he has been in his time here thus far. As I said I don’t deem that a bust, I just don’t feel it is worth $5 million and given the hype behind Danny Amendola it is hard not to come to the realizations that he is not going to be what the hype was speculating this season and given his being less than 2 years from 30 years old it is unlikely that his becoming Wes Welker 2.0 will ever transpire.

I am sorry you find what I say to be idiotic it is not my intent, I am actually attempting to provide a detailed response to your posts and not intending to take any shots at you or Danny Amendola, I want him like all Patriots players to succeed to the very best of their ability, the difference between our positions is you’re willing to accept his performance based on circumstances you deem outside of his control, I am not willing to accept it and find his performance this season to be disappointing and below my expectations.

I don’t have any agenda against him man seriously; I just don’t think he is doing a good job. I want him to succeed but I am not going to defend him, Edelman has consistently been the better player this season and the more reliable one and for that reason I would prefer to see Julian continue to receive the starter reps over Danny. With a full offseason to recover me hope Danny can come in during 2014 and be a stud but if I was a betting man I would not wager on that happening.

I am not saying he is a bust Ivan, I am saying he is not Welker 2.0 he is a player that will have 3-4 excellent games a season if he plays 16 games and then be average or non-existent in the rest of the games, that is what he has been throughout his 4 year career and that is what he has been in his time here thus far. As I said I don’t deem that a bust, I just don’t feel it is worth $5 million and given the hype behind Danny Amendola it is hard not to come to the realizations that he is not going to be what the hype was speculating this season and given his being less than 2 years from 30 years old it is unlikely that his becoming Wes Welker 2.0 will ever transpire.

I am sorry you find what I say to be idiotic it is not my intent, I am actually attempting to provide a detailed response to your posts and not intending to take any shots at you or Danny Amendola, I want him like all Patriots players to succeed to the very best of their ability, the difference between our positions is you’re willing to accept his performance based on circumstances you deem outside of his control, I am not willing to accept it and find his performance this season to be disappointing and below my expectations.

Edelmen having a break out year no doubt, but he's not better than Amendola. This is the first time in his career hes shown he can last this far in a season without getting injured. I personally like both guys, and glad they play for us.

Edelmen having a break out year no doubt, but he's not better than Amendola. This is the first time in his career hes shown he can last this far in a season without getting injured. I personally like both guys, and glad they play for us.

Yeah Edelman has had some injury issues but you can’t really use that in a comparison to Amendola because it doesn’t favor Danny at all:

Edelman has played in 59/75
Amendola has played in 49/75

I don’t think Amendola is a better player, I think Edelman was behind the best slot receiver to ever play the game therefor received limited reps and Amendola was able to play out in St. Louis in a low pressure environment and be a featured part of the offense.

Amendola stats
Targeted – 343
Receptions – 228
Catch ratio – 66%
Receiving yards - 2084
Yards per reception – 9.1
Touchdowns – 8

Edelman’s stats
Targeted – 197
Receptions – 130
Catch ratio – 66%
Receiving yards - 1324
Yards per reception – 10.1
Touchdowns – 8

It would appear to me that Danny has been targeted nearly twice as many times as Edelman in his career yet Edelman has as many receiving touchdowns, a similar catch ratio, and averages more yards per reception.

Agreed on liking both guy – truthfully this is a very good problem for this team to have!

My mistake talking football with you, i should have realized a while ago that you are a pure fantasy football guy and as such a stat lover. I don't care one bit about fantasy football, I think it completely misrepresents the reality on the field, and as Belichick said believe that "Stats are for losers."

Beyond that your view that getting injured makes a player a "disappointment is among the most ridiculous things i have ever come across. Shame on Amendola for getting hurt, who does he think he is. even worse then he tries to play through it, which makes him an even bigger "disappointment," he should have just gone to IR.

No need to respond, i should have realized you were just a fanatsy guy long ago and there really is no common ground as i could care less about FF and even less than that about stats. Stats are for baseball, which is an individual sport, nothing in football is done without a team.

I think we should throw stats out the window. The one thing I have noticed is that during Brady's progressions, Amendola is the 4th option. This kind of reminds me of what happened to Lloyd last year, we he got all of the opportunities early and then was behind Wes, Hernandez, Gronk, Vereen.

I personally expect Amendola to average 3-4 catches a game for 50 yards each game, barring a great matchup.

This kind of reminds me of what we had with Lloyd last year. The first few games and preseason, Brady was trying to see what he did in him. Amendola is a solid receiver and can stretch the field better than Welker (not as good YAC on short throws as WW).

Last night's game was interesting, Brady's progression went like this (unless they called a play for Gronk, Vereen, Edelman):
1. Gronk
2. Vereen
3. Edelman
4. Amendola/KT

-It seems like Amendola is the 4th progression for Brady which means he will be a marginal player receiver for us.

What do you guys think of Amendola, will he be worthy of the contract?

So far he's been a bust IMO. I'm sure he's still not 100%, but I don't think he's lived up to the contract, and I have my doubts he will. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah Edelman has had some injury issues but you can’t really use that in a comparison to Amendola because it doesn’t favor Danny at all:

Edelman has played in 59/75
Amendola has played in 49/75

I don’t think Amendola is a better player, I think Edelman was behind the best slot receiver to ever play the game therefor received limited reps and Amendola was able to play out in St. Louis in a low pressure environment and be a featured part of the offense.

Amendola stats
Targeted – 343
Receptions – 228
Catch ratio – 66%
Receiving yards - 2084
Yards per reception – 9.1
Touchdowns – 8

Edelman’s stats
Targeted – 197
Receptions – 130
Catch ratio – 66%
Receiving yards - 1324
Yards per reception – 10.1
Touchdowns – 8

It would appear to me that Danny has been targeted nearly twice as many times as Edelman in his career yet Edelman has as many receiving touchdowns, a similar catch ratio, and averages more yards per reception.

Agreed on liking both guy – truthfully this is a very good problem for this team to have!

Getting targetted implies getting open, which is one of if not THE most important factor.

I think we should throw stats out the window. The one thing I have noticed is that during Brady's progressions, Amendola is the 4th option. This kind of reminds me of what happened to Lloyd last year, we he got all of the opportunities early and then was behind Wes, Hernandez, Gronk, Vereen.

I personally expect Amendola to average 3-4 catches a game for 50 yards each game, barring a great matchup.

A healthy Amendola would be the team's WR1. The version of Amendola that we are seeing is a situational target, which makes him the same as Edelman, Dobson and Thompkins.

Realistically, we're playing the the G.O.A.T. at QB, a potential G.O.A.T. at TE, and a bunch of WR3s/WR4s right now.

A healthy Amendola would be the team's WR1. The version of Amendola that we are seeing is a situational target, which makes him the same as Edelman, Dobson and Thompkins.

Realistically, we're playing the the G.O.A.T. at QB, a potential G.O.A.T. at TE, and a bunch of WR3s/WR4s right now.

That could be true, I hope Amendola can be a WR1, but too tell you the truth he looks more like a WR2. The main reason is because on short throws he's not great at YAC and is not physical enough to be a dominant outside receiver. He is a very good route runner who can stretch the field and is good on deep outs. I see him at best being Antonio Brown, but more in that Nate Burleson, Miles Austin (when he produced in Dallas), etc... That's still pretty good and valuable for us considering we have Gronk and Vereen and hopefully Edelman stays healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes