PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola punt return deception yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
i hadn't seen anything about this. I was in the stands with a few friends in the 4th quarter when the jets punted. Amendola suddenly signaled Watch Out to his team mates that it was a short bad punt, stay away from the ball and be alert...by crossing his arms repeatedly. The jets seemed to let up on coverage which allowed him to catch it and have a very nice return as a result.

Another BB trick play. I hadn't seen that one before.

Did you see it on TV? What did you think?

--> Fritz

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Had to rewatch it but you're right.

Pats lead the league in smart plays. And to quote LT way out of context, I think that comes from the coach.

;)

100% not a trick or deception. Players do it all the time. jests special teams shouldn't have been fooled by it. If they were that's on them and the coaching staff.

100% not a trick or deception. Players do it all the time. jests special teams shouldn't have been fooled by it. If they were that's on them and the coaching staff.

You don't get it, deception is horrible and has no place in the NFL, according to bunch of teams that routinely disguise their coverages and run play action fakes.

Cheaters!!!:p. But..Don't be surprised..

Nice to have smart players. Fark the naysayers.

Many years ago, Detroit punt returner Lem Barney came rocketing through a circle of kicking team players watching a ball roll dead, scooped it up and ran for long return (can't remember if it was a TD).

On a related note, did you guys see the Utah fake on the punt return for TD? After the punter kicked to the left sideline 3 times, they knew that was where the ball would go. So they faked the catch on the right, and slid a "hidden" returner back to the left side for the TD return. Heads up special teams

Many years ago, Detroit punt returner Lem Barney came rocketing through a circle of kicking team players watching a ball roll dead, scooped it up and ran for long return (can't remember if it was a TD).

Apparently it was a touchdown for Barney.

Cincinnati punted the ball and it was rolling towards a stop when Barney scooped up the ball and raced all the way for the touchdown.
The 1970 Detroit Lions: Looking Back

People were crying about it on theganggreen site. They have convinced themselves that the refs let him get away with illegally calling for a fair catch by returning it.

That's what happens when you underkick the coverage - the punter's teammates have to be careful not to interfere with the guy trying to catch the ball, or not to get hit by the ball (free runback), which is hard to do while running through blockers at full speed down the field.

I don't think there's confusion on whether it's a fair catch, just the realization that they can't touch him or stop him from getting to the ball.

Apparently it was a touchdown for Barney.

Cincinnati punted the ball and it was rolling towards a stop when Barney scooped up the ball and raced all the way for the touchdown.
The 1970 Detroit Lions: Looking Back
Hey, thanks for looking that up. That return stuck in my mind as one of the boldest moves I've ever seen on a football field.

Wasn't it the rams in week one who had one guy pretend he was going to fair catch it but someone else actually had the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back