PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola in the Lewis role - Could it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogamedogz

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
IMO. Danny would thrive in those designed plays for Lewis. He's shifty, smart, and very quick. Im not saying that Bill/Josh should turn him into a full time tailback, but I wouldn't mind seeing some him get some backfield work now that we have LaFell back. I'd rather the ball in his hands than Whites. I think his skillset and playmaking ability is far greater.

Don't get me wrong, id like them to work in Bolden and White too. But I'd really like to see what Dola could do in the rotation. He'd be filthy in the screen game.

Thoughts?

Perhaps use him like GB uses Cobb in the backfield

I think we're going to miss the elusiveness of Lewis' run game the most, and I don't believe that there's much that can be done about it. I don't really think that player exists on our roster.

Before Lewis emerged, I proposed the idea of Edelman as a 3rd down back.... i think he handles contact a little better than da.

BTW, I was laughed at by quite a few posters.

Perhaps use him like GB uses Cobb in the backfield

Possibly at times with end arounds or jet sweeps, but how often does Cobb take a straight up handoff like Lewis was?

I don't think there's any way to replicate the shiftiness of his run skills. That said, there are other ways to gain yardage, so we'll have to rely on Blount, White, and Bolden now.

The passes will simply be redistributed amongst our other options, but the run game is where losing Lewis really hurts us in my opinion.

Before Lewis emerged, I proposed the idea of Edelman as a 3rd down back.... i think he handles contact a little better than da.

BTW, I was laughed at by quite a few posters.
yeah cause thats funny

I don't like it. You lose a lot more than you gain over simply putting White out there.

Last edited:
Well he will not have the same role but he is the next best weapon on the team.

Right now the top 5 weapons are in order

Gronk Edelman Lafell Amendola Chandler for passing options.

Bolden and White IMO are not the worst 3rd down backs you can get but not as explosive. They are sure handed though and run the right routes. I think White can at least pick up that 3rd and and 5 catch but a RB pass to convert a 3rd and 10+ might be out of the picture.

Bolden and White IMO are not the worst 3rd down backs you can get but not as explosive. They are sure handed though and run the right routes. I think White can at least pick up that 3rd and and 5 catch but a RB pass to convert a 3rd and 10+ might be out of the picture.
Yep--what you got with Lewis was the possibility of something big happening every time he touched the ball. The hope with the guys stepping up now will be that they'll provide what's needed/expected on a given play. Like you say, picking up the 3rd and 5.

The problem with putting a WR in an RB's role is that WRs are (rightfully) not used to getting hit by DTs, DEs and LBs.

We don't need to and can't replace Dion Lewis. BB doesn't build his team trying to replace people one-for-one. He will look at James White's game and work him in as his strengths permit. Also, LaFell is back now and his screens and outside game are a huge relief.

All good points. Man losing that new weapon on offense is a bitter pill to swallow. What a great option that kid was. Im confident they'll get by, they always do. But it'd be nice to get back at least some of what we are losing. Maybe White will surprise us all.

IMO the best way to cause permanent harm to a slot WR is put him in the back field and hand the ball off to him.

IMO. Danny would thrive in those designed plays for Lewis. He's shifty, smart, and very quick. Im not saying that Bill/Josh should turn him into a full time tailback, but I wouldn't mind seeing some him get some backfield work now that we have LaFell back. I'd rather the ball in his hands than Whites. I think his skillset and playmaking ability is far greater.

Don't get me wrong, id like them to work in Bolden and White too. But I'd really like to see what Dola could do in the rotation. He'd be filthy in the screen game.

Thoughts?
Totally different skill sets.

Amendola is to 3rd down back as bug is to windshield.

let's put our most injury-prone player in the backfield to take hits and pick up blitzes from dts and des...

creative, but not smart

Josh McDaniels is probably tinkering with the idea as we speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill