Welcome to PatsFans.com

Amazon To Collect Taxes From Massachusetts Residents

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

This sucks. Looks like Newegg and TigerDirect will get more and more of my business.

You know what would level the playing field? No sales tax. How about a 3% sales tax instead of 6.25? Not for nothing but I just bought a can and the state raped me for about $2,000 to do so. That's before they send me a $600 excise tax bill (or more). Total joke. This will ultimately be Amazons loss. They will certainly lose me as a customer. Oh well.

Amazon To Collect Taxes From Massachusetts Residents

December 11, 2012 10:26 AM

Share on email22
    View Comments

An Amazon product locker (CBS)

SAN FRANCISCO — (CBS/AP) — Online retailer Amazon.com has reached a deal with Massachusetts to start collecting the state’s 6.25 percent sales tax from Bay State residents.

The deal that kicks in next Nov. 1 was announced by Gov. Deval Patrick on Tuesday. Secretary of Administration and Finance Jay Gonzalez is telling lawmakers that he expected the agreement to bring increased revenue to the state in “the lower tens of millions of dollars.”

Gonzalez says the deal will help level the playing field for traditional “brick and mortar” stores in Massachusetts that are competing with Internet retailers.

The announcement says the state and Amazon will work together toward enactment of federal legislation to resolve the issue of taxes for online sales, and added that Amazon plans to add hundreds of jobs in Massachusetts.

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

Eff you, Deval Patrick.

This idea that charging tax for online purchases will help local merchants compete is moronic. People buy things online mostly because they aren't available locally. At least, that's my reason for using Amazon.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I use Amazon because it is cheaper and get free shipping to my door...

It does not make sense to avoid taxes this way, and I am a really big Amazon Shopper.. not sure of the overall impact on local business, but confident it is signficant.

4. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +152 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

AAAWWW the little liberal getting it stuck up his ass??

This is only the beginning, this is what conservative been screaming about for years. Do you think its going to stop there?
    When the f are you people going to wake up?

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Hey, just be thankful you don't live in a communist state like California where you pay 10% in state income taxes and sales tax rate of 7.5 - 10%!!

Can't believe working people still live there.

6. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +199 / 13 / -7

I didn't purchase stuff online to avoid sales tax, so this will not really change my buying patterns. Oh well. I still get free 2-day shipping, can read endless reviews of products and choose exactly the product I want, and/or get the size that I want.

Back when the rollback of the state sales tax was on the ballot, I voted against it, and would again. Rolling back the sales tax to 3% was a dumb move. I do not know why the folks who got the question added went with such an extreme change. I would have voted for a rollback to 5%.

7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +403 / 4 / -10

I never even noticed.

That said, there are certain things that are cheaper on amazon, but just like ebay, its easy to get screwed.

it's funny how people think amazon is fine and walmart sucks.......amazon has been even more effective at screwing over the mom and pop shop

8. Nunchucks

Ratings:
    +199 / 13 / -7

I suppose it is because Amazon isn't in your face like Walmart is. Amazon is like heart disease, the silent killer.

9. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +403 / 4 / -10

actually, I think its because a liberal thinks it in vogue to trash walmart while foaming at the mouth at the deals that target or costco bring

10. Nunchucks

Ratings:
    +199 / 13 / -7

No, that certainly is not it.

11. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +403 / 4 / -10

I think it has a part in this

12. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

Why are you calling me a "liberal"? :confused: Yeah, I tend to be liberal on social issues, but wouldn't define myself as one. So stick that up your arse.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

If you support big government, then you have no right to complain. This is the price of operating a blank check welfare state. Illegals gotta get their free tuition, and subsidized apartments too.

The reasoning that it supports big box stores is more nonsense than anything, but there is some truth to it. Saving 6.25% is nice for some people. For others the difference maker is convenience (no gas, no trip to teh store, order from your couch), and ultimately, end price. What I find laughable is the that they are now imposing taxes on citizens (which this admin loves to do), and saying it will help local retailers, when a big part of the problem is the higher taxes you've placed on them in the first place. Instead of raising the sales tax 20%, and pushing people away from state sales, why not decrease it by 20%, and make it inconsequential. A tax of 3% isn't going to push you to drive to NH, or order from a tax free site. Of course, they needed to raise the sales tax cuz a) the moron in office doesn't know any other means of dealing with a budget. All he knows is to tax more, as opposed to spend less. And b) the MBTA, because of how poorly it's run (hey, another public employee union. ya don't say.), has over $5 billion in real debt, and despite recieving 20% of the then 5% sales tax revenue, still couldn't balance it's annual budgets. Thus another reason to increase the sales tax on everyone. Afterall, 20% of 6.25%, is alot more than 20% of 5%. Someone has to pay for MBTA retirees to call it a career after 23 years of service, with 80% of their highest 3 years of earnings as their pension. Taxachusetts baby. Keep voting them in and then complaining.

Pushing taxes up to 6.25% was dumb. Rolling them back to 3% would have been good for most of us. Oh snap, that would mean that the state would have to run more efficiently though. It would mean less sales tax money for the MBTA fat cats who run billion dollar deficits. They might have even had to deal with EBT fraud. That's where I draw the line. I mean, if lowering tax rates means EBT'ers can no longer use their cards to get their nails done, then you can count me out. Higher taxes please. :rolleyes:

Excellent point. Walmart is the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil company that many soapboxers love to vilify. Yet look up Amazon's labor practices in some of their operations centers. Even better, is the yuppie darling, and government lemon factory vender Apple. Sweat shop supreme in China, yet owned and revered by soapboxers everywhere.

Or is one just more vilified by the powers that be? I think it's trendy for people to attack Walmart is all. It's the "corporate/Wall St/CEO" of retail. The public is trained to hate those types.

14. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +650 / 6 / -9

So...people are complaining that a major corporation is no longer allowed to engage in tax avoidance in the state of Massachusetts?

A sad day for sure. I'm sure Amazon is pitted they'll no longer have RW's patronage.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

Tax avoidance? Too bad your wrong. The SCOTUS (Quill vs North Dakota) already ruled on this issue, and thankfully, that "goddam piece of paper" supports the notion that only those with a physical footprint inside a state, are obligated to charge and collect that states taxes. Personally I think Amazon is making a mistake, since I'd set up shop just over the boarder in tax free NH, but they must have their reasons for wanting physical locations in Taxachusetts. That's why they agreed apparently, because they are going to have a physical presence here anyway. I'm sure Amazon is doing here, what they've done in some of the other states they'd brokered sales tax deals in. That is, get years of tax credits and subsidies for themselves from the state. So in the end, Amazon is just another greedy company, and the state is another winner picker. All things that the average joe ignores for the most part, cuz their either too busy, too ignorant, or too interest in the next episode of Dancing with the Stars.

For me personally, it will always come down to convenience and price. If option A is cheaper and more convenient than is option B, then option A it is. I won't go to BB, Costco, Walmart, etc. in order to pay more for the very same product I can have delivered to my front door. All this means for me is that Amazons final price will be 6.25% higher, from here on out. If that still prices them under everyone else, then so be it. My guess is amazons loss with be neweggs, tigers, buydigs, ebays, etc gain.

16. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Yeah, but they will still have all those liberals who say that hate wal-mart because how it treats it's employees and what it does to local mom and pop businesses, no hypocrisy there...

17. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +650 / 6 / -9

It's de facto tax avoidance made possible by advances in technology and logistics.

The opportunity cost of actually going to one of these stores is a greater disincentive than the relatively higher prices, IMO.

18. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +650 / 6 / -9

Kind of a broad brush you're using there, don't you think?

I don't care for Wal-Mart because of how they treat their employees, the general crappiness of their goods, and the fact that outside of super cosmopolitan areas they're always teeming with troglodytes. As for the deleterious effects they have on other competitors, that's always been an unavoidable trend and while Wal-Mart is certainly on the forefront they are by no means the sole culprit.

19. Nunchucks

Ratings:
    +199 / 13 / -7

I don't think you can attribute Walmart hatred to liberals or conservatives. Some people just dislike Walmart, political beliefs aside.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

No it's not actually. It's not complicated Jack. If Company X does not have a phyisical footprint inside the state, it is not obligated to charge, nor collect, state sales tax from it's patrons. This is constitutional law. It's "de facto" nothing.

Like I said, there are a number of different factors at play. There is also the consideration one has to give, that comes with being able to easily return items that are purchased locally. With cloths for example, I almost always buy in person. I used to only buy large ticket electronics in person, but not anymore. As always to each their own, and for each there will be different considerations.