PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amazed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison37

On the Roster
Reaction score
I don't know. I mean- I grew up in New England, so I know how negative some people can be.

But, the treatment Tom Brady has gotten by some on this forum...I don't get it. Is this loyalty? Is this what being a fan is about? Pissing and moaning because he hasn't gotten off to a great start? Questioning his heart and integrity?

I know that the vast majority of Pats fans here still support and have faith in Brady, but there are a select few whose positions and overt turncoat behavior is pretty shocking. I guess you'd be a lot happier if BB and SP went out and signed Tommy Maddox, or the team's fortunes were handed to Matt Cassel?

Loyalty is a two-way street. There's nothing wrong with being concerned about what has happened thus far, but some things on here aren't concern- it's old fashioned Chicken Little panic, and frankly- I'm a little embarrassed for you. I thought New England fans were made of sturdier stuff.

Anyway- what has happened to this place? When I was in Iraq, this forum helped get me through because of the dedicated, informed and passionate people. Lately- I haven't seen that from more than a few. It seems that if life isn't perfect or going swimmingly, it's en vogue to rip the guy who deserves to be above that a bit. I lived 29.5 years before Brady helped lead the Pats to their first Super Bowl victory. He's won two more rings since.

If that doesn't earn you the benefit of the doubt, I don't know what does. It's spineless. Pathetic, really. Some of you (and you know who you are) ought to be ashamed.

Off my soapbox now, but just have to call it like I see it. What happened to the loyal fanbase of yesteryear?

Most of it is just joking type of stuff mocking those who actually believe Brady is done.

But the rest is good, rational discussion into WHY Brady has looked shaky early on this season.

By being negative and essentially booing Brady, they're not booing his obvious godly accomplishments thus far. They're booing what they've seen in the first three games.

That's Boston for you. Some people believe that booing or thinking negatively about a player is not being loyal. Not so here in Patriot/Sox land.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Most of it is just joking type of stuff mocking those who actually believe Brady is done.

But the rest is good, rational discussion into WHY Brady has looked shaky early on this season.

By being negative and essentially booing Brady, they're not booing his obvious godly accomplishments thus far. They're booing what they've seen in the first three games.

That's Boston for you. Some people believe that booing or thinking negatively about a player is not being loyal. Not so here in Patriot/Sox land.

First let me say - GREAT thread/post Harrison37. That is the best thread on this board since the season began!

Second pats1 - sorry, I disagree. The lashing out on Brady is just over the top absurd and most of it is not in a joking manner. Sure we can all agree that Brady has not looked like Brady, but look at what he is being compared to- HIMSELF. He has been a victim of his own success and even with a shaky start and new WR's and rookies on the OL we are still at 2-1. Sure, maybe by 9:00 tomorrow evening we will be at 2-2, but I for one will give Brady major leeway this season considering what he has had to deal with. To me, he can stink all year and I wouldn't even call it out.

A 6th round draft pick that owes us NOTHING! We have 3 SB's with this kid as our leader. I never thought I would see the Patriots win one SB let alone 3 of them and in 4 years?!?!? Amazing. I still think and KNOW Brady is the best in the league and in a few more weeks he will be fully back to the Brady we all have come to know and most have taken for granted.

I know what's sarcastic and what isn't Pats1. Give me more credit than that.

Clearly, I said that there is nothing wrong with being concerned with how Brady has looked. But, some of what I have seen goes beyond that.

This is an "if the shoe fits wear it" kind of thing. I expected more from "The best fans on Earth" is all.

I was disgusted as well--which is why I put his picture in my signature.

Remind people who the hell they're dealing with.

I think most of those griping about Brady on this board will be gone after a couple of good games. They pop up to ***** and disappear just as quickly.

Most of the local people that I speak to about the Pats aren't pinning this on Brady or focussing on his body language. That's a TV/radio/papers/internet thing. The media... they just feed off of this kind of crap.

Harrison37 great post, I agree completely. I guess most here can't remember when 2-1 start to the season was special. What every fan must remember that we have one of the greats playing for the Pats right now, a Bill Russell, a Ted Williams and a Bobby Orr. So enjoy him now, even the bad(for him) games he won't be around for ever.
The thing is that every great QB has had bad games, and even seasons. He will get though it and will have more great games and seasons with hopefully the Pats. I'm just happy to be a fan now when he is our QB. The ones that have booed him at the stadium should be ashamed of themselves.

Whoever said Brady is done is a total idiot.

He's struggling and he is getting critisized so he needs to step it up.

After not posting much for a few days, I thought FOR SURE all the gloom and doom would be done! HOLY COW, why are we still talking about what happened in the past!?!

This board needs to get off some of these gloom and doom crap and look forward to the game.

Pfft.

I never said he was done. Just that he might retire. Either that or if he plays next year, I bet he does it as an openly gay man. That would be something, don't you think? No one can question him, b/c of 3 super bowls.

pats1 said:

Listen to yourself rationalize. Booing isn't really booing, it's just booing. Booing and negativity aren't disloyalty. You're describing the thought process of the classic idiot fan. It's no wonder WEEI cultivates that demographic with such success here. Those born to or raised by Sox fans probably have the legal equivalent excuse of not responsible for my boorish fan behavior due to mental defect or deficincy. Short of that there is no excuse.

As for what happened to this place, Ian linked with a Red Sox forum in a season when the $130M one (in every 86 seasons) and done drama queens tanked. That and the proliferation of crossover and bandwaggon fans the Pats had collected over the last 4 seasons getting uncomfortable at the prospect that at least one of their teams won't always win and provide them with bragging rights every freakin' season. Kinda like a spoiled brat faction.

Unfortunately, Patriot fans (not all) are starting to sound/remind me of Red Sox fans.

Harrison37 said:
I don't know. I mean- I grew up in New England, so I know how negative some people can be.

But, the treatment Tom Brady has gotten by some on this forum...I don't get it. Is this loyalty? Is this what being a fan is about? Pissing and moaning because he hasn't gotten off to a great start? Questioning his heart and integrity?

I know that the vast majority of Pats fans here still support and have faith in Brady, but there are a select few whose positions and overt turncoat behavior is pretty shocking. I guess you'd be a lot happier if BB and SP went out and signed Tommy Maddox, or the team's fortunes were handed to Matt Cassel?

Loyalty is a two-way street. There's nothing wrong with being concerned about what has happened thus far, but some things on here aren't concern- it's old fashioned Chicken Little panic, and frankly- I'm a little embarrassed for you. I thought New England fans were made of sturdier stuff.

Anyway- what has happened to this place? When I was in Iraq, this forum helped get me through because of the dedicated, informed and passionate people. Lately- I haven't seen that from more than a few. It seems that if life isn't perfect or going swimmingly, it's en vogue to rip the guy who deserves to be above that a bit. I lived 29.5 years before Brady helped lead the Pats to their first Super Bowl victory. He's won two more rings since.

If that doesn't earn you the benefit of the doubt, I don't know what does. It's spineless. Pathetic, really. Some of you (and you know who you are) ought to be ashamed.

Off my soapbox now, but just have to call it like I see it. What happened to the loyal fanbase of yesteryear?

Good post. Let me add I'd like to see it extended to BB too (considering all the BB bashing going on also). I would think Brady and BB have more than earned a bye for laying an egg this whole season. That said, we are a long way from anything resembling laying an egg. I have come to expect that BB will have this team playing well by mid season, and I expect Brady will be as clutch as usual when that time comes too. Sad to say but many believe 'what you have done for me lately' is a religion. The model franchise, the premier QB and a team that more often than not digs down deep to find a way to win (doing this as a team too, without the annoying jerk players that so many other teams have). Hey, I guess that just isn't good enough anymore after a poor week 3 showing.

Harrison37 said:

I think alot of the 'old folken' are still around.. but their posts get drowned in other less fortunate posts.

When in doubt, read a Box-O-Rocks post.

MoLewisrocks said:
Listen to yourself rationalize. Booing isn't really booing, it's just booing. Booing and negativity aren't disloyalty. You're describing the thought process of the classic idiot fan. It's no wonder WEEI cultivates that demographic with such success here. Those born to or raised by Sox fans probably have the legal equivalent excuse of not responsible for my boorish fan behavior due to mental defect or deficincy. Short of that there is no excuse.

As for what happened to this place, Ian linked with a Red Sox forum in a season when the $130M one (in every 86 seasons) and done drama queens tanked. That and the proliferation of crossover and bandwaggon fans the Pats had collected over the last 4 seasons getting uncomfortable at the prospect that at least one of their teams won't always win and provide them with bragging rights every freakin' season. Kinda like a spoiled brat faction.
I write what I see.

If I see Brady struggling and I feel it's his fault in one game, then I'll write that.

If I see Brady performing well in the very next game, I'll write that.

And if he struggles in the game after that, I'll write that too.

That's not disloyalty. That's not "being a bad fan."

If I'm frustrated with the way he's played in three games now, and feel some blame for the losses fall on his shoulders, I won't be afraid to say that. It doesn't take 20/20 vision to realize Brady hasn't been himself lately, and it doesn't take a lot to realize blindly throwing the blame on his WRs isn't fair either.

...BUT - I will NEVER add any FUTURE effects to my critique of Brady. If he has a bad game - great! The past can stay in the past. The same way you'll see Brady answer questions after he has a bad game himself: "Yeah, I played like crap today, but we need to leave this game in the past and focus on the ______ next Sunday."

Q. The crowd seemed a little restless there at the end of the first half? Did you notice that? Were you surprised they were booing at you guys?

TB: I don't blame them. I don't think we gave them much reason to cheer. They want to see us do some things offensively, put the ball in the end zone, and we turned the ball over. We can't complete a pass, and I would be booing up there too if I was them.

And I certainly don't think the thousands of FANS booing the team's **** performance in the first half of the Buffalo game were being "disloyal." They were still giving Tom the benefit of the doubt, they weren't neglecting his past performances, and they weren't proclaiming his downfall. They were simply expressing their displeasure with the way the team had played in that half.

While Brady's past glory can certainly trump any accusations that this is the beginning of his downfall, it doesn't cover for bad performances in microscopic samples of a season.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing Tom Brady does in this lifetime or the next is going to change my high opinion of him. What he has done for this franchise is more than anyone could have EVER expected or asked and I think we all forget that sometimes.

When the team plays poorly, as it has been doing, I'll gripe and whine but by the next day, try and see the bright side. Never, ever, ever will you see me advocate any type of quarterback change, coach change (head coach anyway) or overall system change. I believe the system we have does work....it might not work to PERFECTION every year, but when I look around at other teams, I sure don't feel like I'm missing out. I am also not a big believer in booing....sorry, I just won't do it.

I do think a lot of the negativity here (the real negativity, not the sarcastic stuff) is a knee-jerk reaction to a team that hasn't done very much wrong in the past few years.

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing Tom Brady does in this lifetime or the next is going to change my high opinion of him. What he has done for this franchise is more than anyone could have EVER expected or asked and I think we all forget that sometimes.

When the team plays poorly, as it has been doing, I'll gripe and whine but by the next day, try and see the bright side. Never, ever, ever will you see me advocate any type of quarterback change, coach change (head coach anyway) or overall system change. I believe the system we have does work....it might not work to PERFECTION every year, but when I look around at other teams, I sure don't feel like I'm missing out. I am also not a big believer or booing....sorry, I just won't do it.

I do think a lot of the negativity here (the real negativity, not the sarcastic stuff) is a knee-jerk reaction to a team that hasn't done very much wrong in the past few years.

I think you hit what I am trying to say spot-on.

The only time I'd advocate a QB change over Brady would be if I saw a QB BETTER than Brady.

And of course, that's impossible. :D

Harrison37 said:

Great post. People seem to have forgotten that there are 31 other highly professional football teams out there, run by people who are passionate, intelligent and knowledgeable. We have some of the best people running the Pats but they don't have a monopoly on great ideas and innovation. That is not a criticism of the Pats, rather an acknowledgment that the NFL as a whole has lots of great teams. Anyone who thinks that the Pats should turn up and win every season shows a huge amount of disrespect to those other teams. Anyone who gets pissed off with Brady and BB, thinking Brady should be fired, shows great disrespect for what the Pats have done and are still capable of doing.
I can understand fans' frustrations when things don't go 100% to plan but we have to remember that other teams plan their games against us, watch tape, manage their salary caps well, practice hard and draft well. We have no God given right to turn up and win. Football is an incredibly hard sport, physically and mentally. I think that people forget how hard it is.
Remember that, on any offensive play, Brady has four or five seconds to drop back, scan the whole of the field, read the defence, beat any pass rushers and make the right decision out of seven possible options (if you include throwing away and scrambling). He has to do all of this in front of 60 odd thousand fans and in front of a TV audience of millions, while guys come at him, intent on hitting him as hard as possible. He is entitled to the odd less-than-perfect game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back