PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who thinks the Suck for Luck fad is sad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Pats were a ****ty team with nobody at QB, I'd be all in favor of sucking for Luck. This is all predicated, of course, on the evaluation that Luck is the amazing QB prospect that tons of people think he is. Assuming that that's true, though, 1 season of crap is small potatoes compared to what an elite QB can do for a franchise.

Andrew Luck is the first can't miss quarterback prospect since Jake Locker. Other names associated with "can't miss- he's just like Peyton Manning" are David Carr, Alex Smith, Jimmy Clausen (going into his senior year), Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Kyle Boller, and Joey Harrington. Half the time these guys aren't even the consensus first pick by the time they actually finish their senior year.

Andrew Luck is the first can't miss quarterback prospect since Jake Locker. Other names associated with "can't miss- he's just like Peyton Manning" are David Carr, Alex Smith, Jimmy Clausen (going into his senior year), Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Kyle Boller, and Joey Harrington. Half the time these guys aren't even the consensus first pick by the time they actually finish their senior year.

A: selection bias. B: if anyone noteworthy put Locker, Carr, Smith, Clausen, RUssell, Quinn, Young, Boller, Or Harrington in Manning's class, then I must have missed it.

I don't have much of an opinion on Luck myself, since i don't follow college football closely (my alma mater didn't even hate a football team, ffs), but I've heard enough "best prospect since Peyton" talk to take notice. Is it for real? Who knows.

Barkeley or even Jones may very well end up as good or even better than Luck....Barkeley is decent.

I've always thought the NFL should have a quasi-lottery system. Teams 1-3 (or 30-32 in reality) should be guaranteed a 1-3 slot, but should have to have a percentage-based draft for the order within that. 4-6, 7-9, etc. etc. That way, you won't have an 8-8 team getting lucky with a top pick, but you also will prevent teams from tanking it at the end of the season. They might also put in an incentive that you get a better pick, or better chances, if you win games late in the season.

We all know that good teams rest their starters late in the regular season if the games remaining don't matter to seeding......but

Has a bad team that is one of the 3 worst teams that year, ever sat their starters the last game to try and get the top pick?,You would think it works both ways.

Last edited:
No matter what some hysterical fans might be screaming about on internet forums, nobody starts tanking a season in week 3. There are a lot of 0-2 teams, and one or more will probably end up making the playoffs.

But late in the season, when it's down to just a couple of contenders for the #1 pick and one loss could make the difference? And your team is desperate for its QB of the future? Would you really not do that?

Sure, the NFL draft is a crapshoot. (More than the NBA, anyway. The MLB draft is a whole different level of crapshoot.) But looking at a prospect who was raised by an NFL quarterback, stands 6'4" 235, is a 3-year starter in a pro-style offense, has a strong, accurate arm, good poise and pocket mobility and top intangibles...that's about as good a risk as you're going to find, with a real chance to transform your franchise.

the 49ers deserve a franchise quarterback. having to rely on Alex Smith for seven seasons... that's sad.

and it would be beneficial for the Colts to tank the season. this is a lost year for them, but getting Peyton back next year and a difference maker in the draft would really help their Super Bowl hopes.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned he was the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning...

I want to point out that Peyton Manning wasn't even the consensus #1 pick that year. Many people, including many experts and knowledgeable types, considered Ryan Leaf to be just as good or better. While somewhat more people were on the Manning bandwagon, lets not pretend that it was unanimous.

If the Colts were to win the suck for luck sweepstakes it would likely mean Manning is toast or one of Manning or Luck would become toast pdq because QB is not the missing link on the 2011 Colts nor will it be come 2012. Bad drafts and aversion to FA combined with years of top heavy cap management and the evolution of a coaching staff that has secured it's jobs via attrition would make Luck going to Indy bad luck...for all concerned. If Polian were to make that selection it wouldn't surprise me to see Manning retire rather than come back to front that shell of a team for an organization who opted to draft the QB of the future. The Colts can't run the ball or stop the run or defend the pass or keep a QB who takes more than 2.5 seconds to release the ball upright. And even the last guy who often could ended up getting hurt to the point his career is in question.

I think whoever wins the suck for Luck sweepstakes will more than likely live to regret it because if he is the next Peyton Manning they won't be around to reap the rewards by the time any benefit of drafting him #1 is realized. Remember, it took Manning almost a decade to figure it all out to the point a money kicker could drag him into position to snag a SB MVP ring courtesy of his less heralded teamates... Playoffs...playoffs??? ;)

Someone mentioned he was the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning... I want to point out that Peyton Manning wasn't even the consensus #1 pick that year. Many people, including many experts and knowledgeable types, considered Ryan Leaf to be just as good or better. While somewhat more people were on the Manning bandwagon, lets not pretend that it was unanimous.

Hell, when Eli came out the talking head draft guru's swore he was a better prospect than Peyton...:ugh:

On merit, the Jets should be awarded Andrew Luck since they are far and away the most gifted at sucking.

Weird list of "can't miss" guys. The only ones that seemed to be held in such high esteem were Manning, Carr and Vince Young.

Jimmy Clausen and Brady weren't even close to can't miss. They were also "can't win" at the college level. Just kids who got better and played in Charlie Weis' offense, so the assumption was they could be serviceable right away.

Jamarcus Russell was a project from day one and only nut-job Al Davis in Oakland would give him all that money and throw him to the wolves they way they did. There were loads of questions when he was selected #1 overall.

The one guy on the list I feel truly sorry for is David Carr - a tremendous talent. To go to an expansion team and get pounded week after week from day 1 was inexcusable. The Texans should have handed that job to a crusty old veteran who knew how to make adjustments at the line, throw the ball away and take what was there rather than get killed every series. Drew Bledsoe did a great job of that in Buffalo as did Jon Kitna in Detroit and Dallas last year.

Last edited:
If I were a GM I would probably try to come dead last every other year. Then I would trade my #1 pick for the players that I needed (via draft picks or player trades).

No you are not the only one!!! The last time I remember this kind of a campaign, if was for Reggie Bush! Who wasn't even the first pick, and while being heralded as a can't miss prospect, he has done very little at the pro level.

Moral of the story, you never know who's gonna make it in the pro. And hoping your team throws away a year just to draft someone is PATHETIC!!!

Well there is a poster on here (I can't remember who) that at the time of Bush being traded to the Lolphins said how amazing he was, and how he was far superior to little Danny Woodhead, who had VERY similar stats to him!

And has already lost carries to a rookie in Miami! Great pick-up there...

Anyway, is anyone else think that 'Suck for Luck' sounds like a pre-game tradition...

Last edited:
Any of you old timers remember the toilet bowl. New England and Baltimore playing for the #1 pick. Who did we end up drafting, don't even remember.....WR Nebreska?

The sad thing about Miami is they clearly are trying to do well but are in the mix for Luck despite their valiant efforts.

It really only bugs me that Indy is doing this. It seems unfair that a dominant team should be in the running at all. I am a little suspicious about the timing of this surgery and their lack of backup preparations. Plus with all the twitter leaks it seems staged to me.

For the rest of them, they do seem to truly suck and that being the case, they could probably use a little Luck.

Tank 1 season verses a decade of QB laser shows....HELL YEAH.
It's all about the QB in today's league. The era of the dominant running game is so far gone. Teams that emphasize the run do so because their QB stinks. If these teams get behind in a game, forget it. Getting Bledsoe saved this franchise from a decade of mediocrity. With a blue chip QB on the field, fans will walk into that stadium every Sunday with hope.
The problem with the tanking concept is the coaches and their job security worries. Of the current group of teams that are horrible, I can see Seattle as a club that would bring back rah rah Pete. But KC and Miami...those coaches are toast

IF any of yall are old enough to remember the pre-Bledsoe days, the answer is YES, a franchise QB makes all the differnce in the world.

Bledsoe made the Pats a contender, a place were others wanted to play (Parcells helped) but if your starting QB is Scott Zolak your not going anywhere.

Now that being said, QB is difficult to predict, everybody thought that Cam Newton would be a run first get hit, hurt and that's it. While that still might be true, he seems to be putting up some serious passing numbers. Luck is the son of a QB, who is now an AD, goes to Stanford, he is as close to a sure bet as you are going to find. Don't underestimate how much his old coach, will give up for him. The first pick is going to be very vaulable next year. It would be interesting to see who gets it, and what they do with it. If its Indy, I say they trade Luck for a boatload of picks. KC has alot of money invested in Cassel, and his probloem is he is getting killed and has absolutley no time to throw. I doubt switching to Luck will make that situation any better.

A franchise QB is like a job, it is much easier to get another one, if you already have one.

It really only bugs me that Indy is doing this. It seems unfair that a dominant team should be in the running at all. I am a little suspicious about the timing of this surgery and their lack of backup preparations. Plus with all the twitter leaks it seems staged to me.

You seriously think that a team that won its division last year and is just a year removed from a Superbowl appearance carefully orchestrated a total, humiliating collapse -- in advance of the season -- just to position themselves for a better shot at a college QB? Oh, and they must have handed Manning that massive contract along the way just to throw us off the scent!

Come on, the Colts may well end up in the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes, but NO WAY did proud Bill Polian plan it that way. After all, the way they're crumbling without Manning shines a painfully bright spotlight on his inept drafting and is going to seriously tarnish his legacy.

Last edited:
You seriously think that a team that won its division last year and is just a year removed from a Superbowl appearance carefully orchestrated a total, humiliating collapse -- in advance of the season -- just to position themselves for a better shot at a college QB? Oh, and they must have handed Manning that massive contract along the way just to throw us off the scent!

Come on, the Colts may well end up in the "such for Luck" sweepstakes, but NO WAY did proud Bill Polian plan it that way. After all, the way they're crumbling without Manning shines a painfully bright spotlight on his inept drafting and is going to seriously tarnish his legacy.

I don't know. There is a LOT of money involved here. People will do a lot of crazy things for that kind of money, not to mention the prestige of having another dominant club. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Are you seriously saying this could never, ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes