PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who thinks the Pats looked terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PF1996

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The fact that it's a preseason game makes winning/losing irrelevant but I thought the play of the Pats 1st team O/D was mediocre to terrible. The "backups" weren't any better. It reminded me of the Pats horrible play against average-good teams last year. The Dline got shoved around, the LBs as a group looked like crap and were always on the ground or behind the play and the best that can be said about the DBs is that they made the tackle...after the catch. The Oline still seems unable to pick up a blitz or keep Dlinemen from disrupting the play. Welker screwed up a blocking play causing the RB to get tackled early. Meriweather looks too small to be safety and whiffed badly on a tackle. The only bright spots I saw were Washington/Gaffney/Faulk. The rest of the team looked as slow and overmatched as they were last year against good teams. Please don't use the "it's only preseason" excuse because I've watched other preseason games and no team, not even those that lost, has looked as slow and overmatched as the Pats.

IMO,I don't think BB cared if he won or lost last night.I think he wanted to evaluate particular players.Plus TC is being run differently this year.From what ive read its not a hard hitting full contact type of camp this year,there are alot of walk threws,so Im not worried.

panic.gif

And yes, you are.

The fact that it's a preseason game makes winning/losing irrelevant but I thought the play of the Pats 1st team O/D was mediocre to terrible. The "backups" weren't any better. It reminded me of the Pats horrible play against average-good teams last year. The Dline got shoved around, the LBs as a group looked like crap and were always on the ground or behind the play and the best that can be said about the DBs is that they made the tackle....after the catch. The Oline still seems unable to pick up a blitz or keep Dlinemen from disrupting the play. Welker screwed up a blocking play causing the RB to get tackled early. Meriweather looks too small to be safety and whiffed badly on a tackle. The only bright spots I saw were Washington/Gaffney/Faulk. The rest of the team looked as slow and overmatched as they were last year against good teams. Please don't use the "it's only preseason" excuse because I've watched other preseason games and no team, not even those that lost, has looked as slow and overmatched as the Pats.
I agree 100%, especially about the DLine getting pushed around last year. Our defense was the worst in the league. What's with all the DBs making tackles after the catch, just like you said. What about defending against the pass? QBs don't complete passes against other teams' defenses.

And what's wrong with Brady. Obviously BB is disgusted and he was pulled pretty early.

I'd hoped for better, but this late in the season it is obvious we're doomed this year. At least we'll get a top 5 pick next year, maybe even #1 overall. This year is already a waste. May as well accept fact that the dynasty is over. Maybe with the No.1 overall we can draft a franchise QB.

Last edited:
Yes, you are. Not a shocker though.

"backups"?

Isn't it a little early to start complaining? The Pats played last night without Maroney, Moss, Stallworth, Watson, Kyle Brady, and Thomas on offense and without Seymour and except for a few plays Warren on defense.

It was the first exhibition game and hot as hell to boot.

If they play this way against Tennessee, I'll second your opinion.

Last edited:
I agree 100%, especially about the DLine getting pushed around last year. Our defense was the worst in the league. What's with all the DBs making tackles after the catch, just like you said. What about defending against the pass? QBs don't complete passes against other teams' defenses.

And what's wrong with Brady. Obviously BB is disgusted and he was pulled pretty early.

I'd hoped for better, but this late in the season it is obvious we're doomed this year. At least we'll get a top 5 pick next year, maybe even #1 overall. This year is already a waste. May as well accept fact that the dynasty is over. Maybe with the No.1 overall we can draft a franchise QB.

I agree, it's all over fugetabout it. It's time to start looking at FA, and the draft. I don't know if they'll ever win again. The way they played we should start a (GET RIDD OF BB PETITION GOING.)

Last edited:

I got a good laugh from your post, although it wasn't very creative. What I find really weird about people like you is that rather than address (or ignore by not replying) my concerns, you reply with a strawman post. One would think that if the Pats really played well last night, (i.e. that my points were incorrect), that you would simply point that out. The fact that the best you can do is make outlandish statements and argue against fiction only serves to confirm the validity of my concerns. Which doesn't really make me happy as I was hoping to have them dispelled.

last night proved to me this is BB's last year. our team was so bad!!!!

[/sarcasm]

Silliness.

Isn't it a little early to start complaining? The Pats played last night without Maroney, Moss, Stallworth, Watson, Kyle Brady, and Thomas on offense and without Seymour and except for a few plays Warren on defense.

It was the first exhibition game and hot as hell to boot.

If they play this way against Tennessee, I'll second your opinion.

Have you watched other preseason games and if you have, how would you honestly rank the play of the Pats against what you saw from other teams?

The missing Pats weren't part of the starting Oline, or LBs or DBs and I would hope a Dline missing one starter could look better than they looked against Tampa. I had hopes that the Pats would win a SB this season and I'm just surpised that anyone can look at how the Pats OL, DL, LB, DB played and not be concerned. Is there time for it to be improved? Of course and that's my hope. However, it's a little disconcerting to see that the same problems the Pats had last year still apparently haven't yet been fixed, particularly since they came against Tampa Bay, not San Diego.

Spacecrime wasn't just responding with a strawman post, he was using strawman arguments to CLEARLY refute what was a ridiculous post to begin with. His points were obvious, just like yours were - it's just his had the added bonus of being...um...NOT INSANE.

Have you watched other preseason games and if you have, how would you honestly rank the play of the Pats against what you saw from other teams?

I stopped reading after this sentence (and subsequently fell on the floor laughing).

"Am I the only one who thinks this thread is terrible" ?

That's what this should have been named. Give me a f*cking break, first preseason game, half the team wasn't there, most of the starters were out after a quarter. Worst thread I've read in a while.

The missing Pats weren't part of the starting Oline, or LBs or DBs and I would hope a Dline missing one starter could look better than they looked against Tampa.

This is ridiculous. The starting OL did VERY WELL in pass protect and were blocking for Faulk and Morris in an incredibly vanilla scheme, intended to show NOTHING. Meanwhile the DL was missing ALL THREE STARTERS except for two plays that Warren was in for.

Try knowing what you're talking about and your criticisms will go over far better. The vast majority of "vets" here at patsfans have NO PROBLEM criticizing and complaining when things are actually bad. Last night is not an example of that.

Meriweather looked to small to play Safety? He's the same exact size as Ed Reed ( 5'11" 200lbs)...Troy Polamalu is one inch shorter, and only seven pounds heavier, while Bob Sanders of the Colts comes in at 5'8" 206lbs.

Yup, Meriweather's to small to play Safety...genius!

Excuse me I have to go now. I need to fine a tall building to jump off of. The library at U-Mass will do. Or instead of that, just fill the bath tub, sit in it and drop a toaster in with me.

Last edited:
Spacecrime wasn't just responding with a strawman post, he was using strawman arguments to CLEARLY refute what was a ridiculous post to begin with. His points were obvious, just like yours were - it's just his had the added bonus of being...um...NOT INSANE.

Actually, spacecrime didn't refute anything I have said nor have any of you, unless you believe not addressing the points is equivalent to "refutation". Which, judging by the replies, appears to be common misconception among some on this board. Telling me that the defense was highly ranked, stastically, last year, doesn't refute my claim that the DL, LBs and DBs looked horrendous this year. He didn't address my points about the OL or WR blocking. He mentioned Brady which I made no mention of in my original post. He went on to speak about writing off the season and hoping for a top 5 pick, which are also things I didn't address in my post. Spacecrime's post would be a great teaching tool as an example of a strawman post but failed to refute anything I've said. I'm still waiting though. Maybe someone actually has some facts to dispell my concerns. I would be quite happy to hear them.

So, after watching the replay today, I have to admit that i was fairly impressed with our team. Not flashy (****, it is pre-season after all) but good, solid football. Hardly any bad decisions. Hardly any penalties. Just good solid football. Sure their was blown coverages and a few missed blocks, but the overall performance was very solid for the first game to start the pre-season.

However, if we are playing like this come the last game of the yr. then yeah, i'll be worried. But, there is absolutely no chance in hell of that happening. Our young backups played solid, smart ball, and this team (i'll say it again) have me eagerly awaiting this opening yr. Remember this, anyone who is worried. This was nothing more then a glorified scrimmage.

I also have to add that I really liked the poise of Matt Guiterez (sp?) He looked good for an undrafted rookie and I hope we have plans for coacing him up in the future.

Last edited:
Well I don't know about you guys but I've seen enough I think it's about time we just hand over the lombardi to the Buffallo Bills.

Yes I said it did u see the way their guys' who won't make the team beat up on the saints other camp fodders. It was hard nosed Buffalo football at it's best.
Clearly Trent Edwards is gonna start where JP sit's on the bench and that no name running back who made that one great play, Marshawn Who?

And the Colts o how the mighty have fallen they got their asses handed to them by the Wade Philips lead Cowboys, Yeehah.

Clearly the superbowl will be Dallas against Buffalo theres no reason for next weeks practice.

BB is out of here he is so gonna take that giants job so he can be closer to that secretary and turn Eli into twice the quaterback Tom and Peyton combined can be.

Let's start looking for a new head coach now change to a cover 2 defense scrap the 3-4, cut Seymour, and sign Simeon Rice, Let's trade Ty warren for a 6th round draft pick and use that to draft our next franchise QB cause obviously tom is done, Maybe we can package him with some picks and get Tyler Palko that be sweet!

Then tell BB to go screw Pick up any coach off the street's cause the Chargers are showing people the coach is just the guy in front of the cameras.
What really makes a great team is alot of luck talent and anabolic steroids.

Oops scratch that last part out.

GO PATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes