PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who thinks sunday's play calling was....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know about most of you,but I think sunday's play calling was one of the better ones I have seen...HOWEVER we lost and stunk because of several things IMO​
The most glaring thing was BOTH sides of the ball (replacement players aside) were totally dominated by the Jets fronts..When the Jets had the ball it seemed there was virtually NO pass rush all game and Chad had time to find Cotchery and co. all day,When the Jets defense rushed Brady it seemed that the pocket was closing too fast for comfort and visibility down the field was shallow at best - We were beaten on BOTH sides of the lines and you lose just about all games when that happens​
I think the run plays and passing plays were a fine mix but we did not execute them to say the least...The Jets defenders were pushing our OL back so far that Maroney and Dillon were not able to find room,More so in the second half of play,There were some openings early but I think you can credit that to the power of our RBs more so than the lines blocking,The line simply was pathetic sunday,Brady was bad,but then again when you are in constant pressure and moving about too much in the pocket you can't expect a big day from him..If Brady is going to have those 250-300 passing yard games with several touchdowns he is gonna need some time to see the field better and stay somewhat statuelike in the pocket,I don't care if Jerry Rice was on one side and Michael Irvin was on the other,If you don't have time to look and throw you will have a crappy day.​
If you want to blame this game and loss on someone,don't blame McDaniels or BB-I think the play calling was good enough to win..We simply did not execute the mix of run/pass and the reason to me was the line play on both sides-nothing else-It was boys against men on sunday...Watch the game again if you can,and see what looked like boys against men once the ball was snapped-it was ugly line play to say the least,and we were buttwhipped by the Jets lines-its as simple as that-stop with the McDaniels crap,He is not out there on the field and he can't make Brady 'Gel' with his receivers either...Blaming McDaniels every week is a copout for our incompetence at several positions that only the player,who is playing that position is to blame for not showing top effort or eagerness to dominate his position he is getting highly paid for,It seems as if we seemed too confident that we were going to win at times in this game and played lackluster- Bottom line is the Jets were HUNGRY-We were not...Moving on now to Green Bay and hopefully we get hungry for some 'cheese whip' ;) ....​

I agree with your basic concept that it's ridiculous to nitpick every play call. If it works we like it, if it doesn't we don't. Bottom line, generally the passing game struggled. Not just the obvious misses but passes that the WR were forced to make good catches on. Then silly problems like the 20-30 yard pass to Caldwell called back for an illegal formation.

That said, on the 2nd and goal from the 2, I'm running Dillon, Dillon and Dillon again. Maroney has to learn he CANNOT lose yards there trying to get outside. And from a conceptual standpoint I would start running more and passing less, the passing game is just having too many problems right now.

BelichickFan said:
I agree with your basic concept that it's ridiculous to nitpick every play call. If it works we like it, if it doesn't we don't. Bottom line, generally the passing game struggled. Not just the obvious misses but passes that the WR were forced to make good catches on. Then silly problems like the 20-30 yard pass to Caldwell called back for an illegal formation.

That said, on the 2nd and goal from the 2, I'm running Dillon, Dillon and Dillon again. Maroney has to learn he CANNOT lose yards there trying to get outside. And from a conceptual standpoint I would start running more and passing less, the passing game is just having too many problems right now.
I agree that our run unit is MUCH better that the passing unit and if we want to get to the promised land we need that to continue on a regular basis..HOWEVER..If the line cannot block in a way for our RBs to get to the outside,or even up the middle,it would not matter how good our running attack is-If we had Ladanian Tomlinson on the team,he would have trouble getting yardage without getting some space to first look then run through..A great rushing attack starts with the OL blocking and ends with the OL/TE/WR blocks once passed the line of scrimmage- Our OL play thus far is mediocre at best,injuries aside and our WRs and TEs (except Dan Graham) have been manhandled when they attempt to help block for the RB once/if he gets out into the open field,which unfortunately has not happened much yet this season and once again,it starts with the line in front of the RB.

PATRIOT64 said:
HOWEVER..If the line cannot block in a way for our RBs to get to the outside,or even up the middle,it would not matter how good our running attack is
Dillon and Maroney combined to average 5.87 yards per carry yesterday. Even taking Dillon's 50 yarder away and making it a 10 yard gain (totally unreasonable but to make a point), they would have averaged 4.1 YPC.

Against Indy Dillon and Maroney combined to average 4.27 YPC.

So that's not the problem.

BelichickFan said:
Dillon and Maroney combined to average 5.87 yards per carry yesterday. Even taking Dillon's 50 yarder away and making it a 10 yard gain (totally unreasonable but to make a point), they would have averaged 4.1 YPC.

Against Indy Dillon and Maroney combined to average 4.27 YPC.

So that's not the problem.
Wouldn't you say that it might be because of our RBs talent that they have had some good YPC than saying the OL isn't the problem..I truly beleive we have 2 RBs that can do decent without a top OL..But it makes it easier when you have a great group of guys blocking for you...Ask Barry Sanders who seemed to do it all by himself-Just imagine if the line who was blocking for him in Detroit ANYTIME during his career was an All-Star group...He might have been the leagues all time top rushing leader for a very long time,I think he was somewhat special because he never had the types of guys blocking in front of him like Smith,Simpson,Payton ect had in thier careers....If you want a modern day example,look at that Schmuck in Arizona,Edgerrin James who has found out that Indys line is a 'bit better:) ' than arizona's front-and it shows in his huge declining stats.

BelichickFan said:

The only problem with that theory is that Corey has been MIA for large chunks of games for the last month. After his 50 yard gallop with 4 minutes left in the first quarter he was gassed, and to the point he didn't re-enter the game until two minutes into the third quarter? Who knows what it is since he never appears on an injury report. I thought the stinger was acting up for a few weeks, but that was over a month ago. Don't know if it's a conditioning issue or an injury concern or it just is what it is. Don't know if the coaches are holding him out or he's holding himself out. And it's not like anyone will tell us, and I doubt the media has the stones to ask him after last weeks dustup with Felger. This week they are so busy ballwashing him for a 50 yard run that led only to a FG in a game lost by 4 points they seem oblivious to the fact that he is chronically MIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back