PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the only one who is not seriously worried about our defense in 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure there is anyone not worried about the defense in its current state including guys with the initials BB and SP.

It is just many of us think between the 20m+ in cap space and the draft the 2 guys above will answer the current worries.

In 2006 the defensive linemen had a chance to rest while the offense was on the field grinding out first downs.
This year (2007) the offense struck so fast (see Moss' many 40+ yard plays) that the "D" was back on the field too soon. No. I am not at all complaining about our ability to score quickly. Just pointing out that 300 pound linemen need a blow if you expect them to maintain 2006 pass rushing stats. I would like to see BB go to a system like the Giants used that rotated their pass rushers.

The defense isn't all that far away. We were fourth in yards allowed, fourth in points allowed last year (we gave up 0.7 more points a game more than the best team in this category), second in sacks, and sixth in interceptions. We had a top 5 defense in 2003.

Yes, we will lose Samuel and Colvin. But both Vrabel and Thomas may be over 30, but they are young enough that neither should drop off in talent this year.

Seymour had a down year, but he also was coming off major surgery and missed the entire preseason and the first six games of the year. Having a complete offseason and preseason should allow him to return to dominance. If he does, it makes the entire o-line better.

I still think this defense is two or three players from dominance. These players can be added through free agency and the draft. I felt less confident about this defense after the 2002 season and basically the addition of Harrison made this team go from horrible to spectacular.

Seymour returning to "dominance"? When was the last time this overrated bum was dominant? Puhleaze. This guy skates in these parts. This guy thinks he is better than he is and, frankly, 95% of patriot fans think he is better than he is too. I said it near the end of the regular season on this board and I'll say it again............the guy is quite possibly the MOST OVERRATED DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN FOOTBALL. Period.

Seymour returning to "dominance"? When was the last time this overrated bum was dominant? Puhleaze. This guy skates in these parts. This guy thinks he is better than he is and, frankly, 95% of patriot fans think he is better than he is too. I said it near the end of the regular season on this board and I'll say it again............the guy is quite possibly the MOST OVERRATED DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN FOOTBALL. Period.
First Maroney ...... now Seymour. Who will it be tomorrow?

First Maroney ...... now Seymour. Who will it be tomorrow?

Whatever buddy. I was also one of the few on this board that was constantly bringing up some of the flaws on our so-called "PERFECT" team and "GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME" that many homers quickly shot down because "Yip Yip Hooray, We Are UNDEFEATED!!!". How did that work out for us in the super bowl? We got flaws my friend and Richard Seymour gets PAID WAY TOO MUCH for the production he gives. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Meanwhile, LoMo is the MOST OVERRATED OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Dom Capers is the MOST OVERRATES SECONDARY COACH IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Dean Pees is the MOST OVERRATED DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Ellis Hobbs is THE MOST OVERRATED CB IN FOOTBALL PERIOD AND THE MOST OVERRATED KR IN FOOTBALL PERIOD (double whammy). We know what you said, we're not surprised that you said it again, and we still won't be surprised when you're still saying it in a few more months. It's not that we don't hear you; it's that you're constantly wrong, and therefore we don't give a damn what you think.

Meanwhile, LoMo is the MOST OVERRATED OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Dom Capers is the MOST OVERRATES SECONDARY COACH IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Dean Pees is the MOST OVERRATED DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Ellis Hobbs is THE MOST OVERRATED CB IN FOOTBALL PERIOD AND THE MOST OVERRATED KR IN FOOTBALL PERIOD (double whammy). We know what you said, we're not surprised that you said it again, and we still won't be surprised when you're still saying it in a few more months. It's not that we don't hear you; it's that you're constantly wrong, and therefore we don't give a damn what you think.

I was wrong about Maroney. That's it. What else was I wrong about? If I'm not mistaken, 99.9% of this board was WRONG about the Pats being the GREATEST TEAM of ALL TIME. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones my friend. Hell, even the great Bill Belichick was WRONG on some moves in the super bowl. Get over yourself.

Whatever buddy. I was also one of the few on this board that was constantly bringing up some of the flaws on our so-called "PERFECT" team and "GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME" that many homers quickly shot down because "Yip Yip Hooray, We Are UNDEFEATED!!!". How did that work out for us in the super bowl? We got flaws my friend and Richard Seymour gets PAID WAY TOO MUCH for the production he gives. Deal with it.

Nobody ever said that the Pats were perfect. They did go 18-1, though. As for the SB... **** happens. Football is a game of chance, and when Eli Manning can muscle his way out of 3 guys' grasps to heave it to Tyree, who then catches the ball with his goddamn helmet... that's a pretty good sign that chance has picked today to screw you over. The Pats got outplayed in one game this year, and they lost it. Doesn't mean that doomsday predictors were right all along; it just means that the Pats got outplayed for one game. It happens, and it happened to every other team in the league at least 3 times as many times as it happened to the Pats. Get over yourself.

In 2006 the defensive linemen had a chance to rest while the offense was on the field grinding out first downs.
This year (2007) the offense struck so fast (see Moss' many 40+ yard plays) that the "D" was back on the field too soon.
Your argument is completely wrong with regard to time of possession.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...IME_OF_POSS_SECONDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...rue&Submit=Find&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1

I was wrong about Maroney. That's it. What else was I wrong about? If I'm not mistaken, 99.9% of this board was WRONG about the Pats being the GREATEST TEAM of ALL TIME. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones my friend. Hell, even the great Bill Belichick was WRONG on some moves in the super bowl. Get over yourself.

I actually still think that the Pats, this year, were the greatest team of the salary cap era. It just so happens, however, that they picked a really bad day to get outplayed for the first time all year.

Nobody ever said that the Pats were perfect. They did go 18-1, though. As for the SB... **** happens. Football is a game of chance, and when Eli Manning can muscle his way out of 3 guys' grasps to heave it to Tyree, who then catches the ball with his goddamn helmet... that's a pretty good sign that chance has picked today to screw you over. The Pats got outplayed in one game this year, and they lost it. Doesn't mean that doomsday predictors were right all along; it just means that the Pats got outplayed for one game. It happens, and it happened to every other team in the league at least 3 times as many times as it happened to the Pats. Get over yourself.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The reality is the Pats quite possibly delivered the biggest choke job in NFL history. If you are cool with that, than good for you. I'm not. It was a disgrace and embarassment. I want improvements. Richard Seymour gets paid to play like a dominant defensive player. He hasn't played that way in years. Stop giving the guy a get out jail free card. The guy is overrated.

Look to the Patriots offensive line not Seymour for the Super Bowl failure.

I actually still think that the Pats, this year, were the greatest team of the salary cap era. It just so happens, however, that they picked a really bad day to get outplayed for the first time all year.

LOL! Ya, and the Buffalo Bills were the best team of the 90's except they just got outplayed in the 4 biggest games. Good lord.:rolleyes:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The reality is the Pats quite possibly delivered the biggest choke job in NFL history. If you are cool with that, than good for you. I'm not. It was a disgrace and embarassment. I want improvements. Richard Seymour gets paid to play like a dominant defensive player. He hasn't played that way in years. Stop giving the guy a get out jail free card. The guy is overrated.

You're welcome to think that. Everyone else here is welcome to regard you as a troll who doesn't know what he's talking about, has a bone to pick with the Pats, and is borderline obsessed with Richard Seymour.

Last edited:
Look to the Patriots offensive line not Seymour for the Super Bowl failure.

The o-line was the reason Seymour's overrated ass had the pleasure of playing in the super bowl. When push came to shove and the defense needed 1 stop they had NOBODY step up. Richard Seymour was a no show as always.

LOL! Ya, and the Buffalo Bills were the best team of the 90's except they just got outplayed in the 4 biggest games. Good lord.:rolleyes:

Spot on- losing 4 of 4 is JUST LIKE losing 1 of 4. If you ever wonder why nobody here takes you seriously, you can always refer back to that post. Either way, welcome to my ignore list. No point in bothering to debate this further with the likes of you.

Last edited:
The o-line was the reason Seymour's overrated ass had the pleasure of playing in the super bowl. When push came to shove and the defense needed 1 stop they had NOBODY step up. Richard Seymour was a no show as always.
The New England Patriots offense was the no show in the Super Bowl.

You're welcome to think that. Everyone else here is welcome to regard you as a troll who doesn't know crap about football, has a bone to pick with the Pats, and is borderline obsessed with Richard Seymour.

Don't cry about it. Just because I don't like Seymour doesn't mean I'm a troll. You didn't even see me on these boards the couple weeks after the super bowl becaused I was so pissed and depressed. If I was a troll than I would have been here to rub it in. Get over yourself. Sorry if I'm not a homer. Too bad.

Spot on- losing 4 of 4 is JUST LIKE losing 1 of 4. If you ever wonder why everyone here thinks that you're an idiot, you can always refer back to that post. Either way, welcome to my ignore list. No point in bothering to debate this further with the likes of you.

Hate to break the news to you buddy but the 2007 Pats are in the same disgraceful discussion as the 90's Bills as two of the BIGGEST CHOKE TEAMS in sports history. Sucks but it's true.

The New England Patriots defense held their opponent in the Super Bowl to their season average while the New England Patriots offense flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes